Menu

if we want to go grain free...

Mrs. A

or as near as possible, what do we eat? I realized yesterday that we need to do this, but we eat a lot of grains! More than I realized.  So what do we eat for breakfast if we can't have oatmeal or other cereals? I know eggs are an option but I'm  not sure I want them every day.  I would like to follow a diet that's along the lines of Nourishing Traditions, but our budget is somewhat limited and good meat is so expensive and hard to get (at least in our area).  Any suggestions? Recipes, meal and snack ideas, ideas for what to have in the pantry... all are welcome!

Have you seen the book by Danielle Walker - Against all Grain.  She also has a website with the same name.  It does have a lot of baking recipes with nut flours that may not be the best for those with autoimmune issues but she does have some other recipes that are good.

I'm still in the process of finding good meat sources and transitioning to a modified Paleo way of eating.

There are recipes out there for grain free pancakes and waffles.  I often eat leftovers for breakfast.  I like eggs, but like you said, it wouldn't be so great to eat them every single morning. 

I won't lie, but the biggest pain is the lack of convenience.  So getting a routine down for preparing some of these things would be helpful.

I do eat a lot of meat though.  I mean what is left without the meat?  I love vegetables, but I don't want to live on veggies alone. 

ITA with the bolded.  As I'm gearing up for school, this has been a challenge.  When my brain is focused on school planning I don't want to think about all the food prep but I know it has to be done.

I hope to make a bunch of muffins with eggs, meat, greens etc or an egg casserole with sweet potatoes grated and other veggies so that I can freeze them in portions  to eat for breakfast.  Fried or hardboiled eggs every morning can get old.

Don't ask me what I will do if I have to remove eggs from my diet which is sometimes suggested for those with autoimmune issues.

I'm on a reduced calorie diet in addition to avoiding grains ( although I do very occasionally have whole rice, quinoa, etc. but no flour or pasta, no wheat).

My basic daily meals are as follows:

Breakfast:

Fruit

Egg

Veggie sausage

Kefir

Lunch:

Steamed veggies

Meat or bean-based entree

Supper:

Large salad

Soup or veggies

Kefir

So, I'm getting some carbs from fruit, dairy and a bit in the veggies, but just don't eat grains. It really isn't a big deal.

Just this week for entrees I made:

- butternut squash topped with ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic and a bit of cheese

- chicken breast with creamy dill and capers sauce

- Mexican tilapia with salsa and guacamole

- puréed white bean and garlic soup

Instead of serving these types of meals with bread or over rice, just eat them as is with tons of veggies to fill you up. If potatoes aren't an issue for you, occasionally add mashed, home fries and sweet potato fries.

I find any combo of fruit, dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc.) and protein for breakfast much more satisfying and longer-lasting than a grain-based meal. It is also much easier to cut out sugar by avoiding baked goods and cereals that are typically packed with the stuff.

HTH!

I've been grain free/very low carb for over a year now...just me, not my fam, although they have changed a lot :) 

Breakfast was the tough because I get sick of eggs too :) But they are so inexpensive- so, I jazz them up w/ salsa, cheese, guacamole...or sauteed spinach & bacon & cheese...or spicy sausage, peppers & onions.  Eggs Benedict is a favorite (no muffin), or egg casseroles/quiche- that's a favorite around here :) 

Lunch- Bunless tuna salad, cheeseburgers, curried chicken salad, salads w/ chicken, chili, meat & cheese roll ups, deviled eggs...

Good luck!  Its tough getting started because you have to think about food so much more than you used too, but its worth it :)

Good luck!  Its tough getting started because you have to think about food so much more than you used too, but its worth it :)

This is so true! I guess that's why Charlotte Mason said that decision making is the greatest effort in life. :thumbdown:  Once it becomes a habit it will be smooth sailing. :coolgleamA:

What made you realize that it needs to be done? Do you have specific health issues?

I've gone gluten free because I dislike being in pain, bloating, nausea, etc. But I wouldn't give up wheat or other grains without a health reason. I certainly wouldn't do it for a fad diet.

What made you realize that it needs to be done?  Do you have specific health issues?

Dd2 had her first dentist visit this week. She has two cavities.  She's only 3. We do not eat much sugar at all.  I did a bit of reading and referenced several sources that I trust and learned that a diet high in grains (what being the biggest culprit) can be a big contributing factor in dental health.  So for her sake, in order to help the cavities heal, I want to be sure to avoid grains as much as possible (since it would cause a major crisis to insist that only she be grain free, I would like the whole family to do it - it certainly isn't a bad thing).  We will also do a few other things to help.  This will probably be good for dh too, since he tends to get a lot of cavities himself. 

I eat dal for breakfast. Red lentils cook up in about 15 minutes, if that. If I remember to put split mung beans on to soak the night before, they don't take much longer.

I only have a vague idea of what dal is.  Lentils right? And what else?

I don't think that was directed at you. I think she was asking the OP for the reason. I'm curious as well. I don't think people don't understand your reason. I have never heard that grains were an issue with dental cavities. So I'm genuinely curious about that.

Maybe so. I hadn't heard of the dental connection before either, although it definitely sounds possible to me.

On the cavities, I'll assume you are already completely juice-free, as I'd guess that juice would probably be a much bigger contributor than grains.

Can you drop one grain at a time?  I eat very little in the way of grains (I eat low-carb/high-fat) though I do have a bit of corn tortilla once in a while.  If it were me, I'd drop wheat first for intuitive, non-scientific reasons.  Honestly though, dropping grains just for cavity purposes seems a little drastic without other reasons.

Eta, for breakfast, think about what nutrients you want to sub for grains.  Do you want carbs or fat or protein, specifically?  I often bake breakfast sausage links in large quantities and then freeze them, microwaving two at a time for 35 seconds.

I'm interested in the theory behind the no grains for minimizing cavities.  Do you have any links or book suggestions? 

I've done low carb for years (although my level of strictness is up and down).  I believe it has kept cavities at bay (I have horrible teeth too).  But it's low carb meaning very little that is going to be converted to sugar.  So what is it with the no grains thing?  If you are eating beans, fruits, etc. then you will still be eating a lot of carbs.  I don't understand the anti grain thing in particular.

The problem seems to be the phytic adid evel in most grains.  I think there is a list in the link below: 

http://wellnessmama.com/1756/how-to-reverse-tooth-decay/

The book I read awhile ago is this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982021305?ie=UTF8&tag=herbkati-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0982021305

On the cavities, I'll assume you are already completely juice-free, as I'd guess that juice would probably be a much bigger contributor than grains.

Yep.  Juice is a rare thing here.  

Can you drop one grain at a time?  I eat very little in the way of grains (I eat low-carb/high-fat) though I do have a bit of corn tortilla once in a while.  If it were me, I'd drop wheat first for intuitive, non-scientific reasons.  Honestly though, dropping grains just for cavity purposes seems a little drastic without other reasons.

I guess it does seem drastic.  I was panicking a little when I started the thread because I thought about how we eat day to day and we eat a LOT of wheat and other common grains and I was really drawing a blank as to what we could do instead to drastically reduce our intake.  I am feeling better after reading some of the replies and browsing some websites for ideas.  I like your suggestion of dropping one at a time.  I think that will help to make it easier to transition.  

Eta, for breakfast, think about what nutrients you want to sub for grains.  Do you want carbs or fat or protein, specifically?  I often bake breakfast sausage links in large quantities and then freeze them, microwaving two at a time for 35 seconds.

Lisa, I've looked into this quite a bit, too (grains & cavities) and I've read several anecdotal stories (mostly on blogs) of dental health in children improving drastically when their nutrition was improved daily with foods like raw milk, bone broth & cod liver oil.  At least two of the mothers mentioned that they did very little reducing of grains (of course, they may not having been eating that much in first place) but that their children's teeth still improved. They put this down to the additional nutrition their kids were receiving.  I took heart when reading this :001_smile: It would be very hard for us to completely cut out grains.