Menu

my bees stung me

texasmama

I've had two hives since June with no incident.  However, I did the same thing I do often (change out front hive sugar syrup jars) and received two stings for my trouble yesterday.  I have one on the back of my right calf and one on my left forearm.  I removed the stingers quickly, and they only hurt initially, but now they are hot, swollen, hard, large and itch like the dickens!  It is like a thousand mosquitoes bit me!  I am putting hydrocortisone ointment on it and plan to take some Benadryl tonight.  Bad bees.

I keep   bees as well. Whenever I get stung I soak the area with baking soda and salt. If I do this the next day I do not even know I have been stung.  Last year I got stung over thirty times. I took a bath in baking soda and salt. The next day you would have never known I was stung. It is truly an awesome remedy. 

No! Good bees!

I noticed that with my two hives when they reached critical mass they started to get aggressive. I considered it a very good sign that the hives were strong enough to want to defend themselves.

I will say that as I've been stung about four times now the stings are not nearly so bad as they were at the beginning. I took one right through the glove Sunday and it didn't even blow up on me. I think I did hit it with sting-ease when I got in, but it never even itched. Of course, that could have been related to the age of the bee. The guard bees are much more toxic.

I'd take your Benedryl tonight and take some Claritin in the morning. It's not as good as Benedryl, but it does help and won't leave you feeling half-asleep.

So glad to find some other bee-keepers around here. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Thanks for the baking soda and salt tip. I had no idea!

I need to do a hive inspection anyway so I will see if they are at critical mass.

It was my own darn fault. I had just taken a scented bubble bath and was wearing dark clothes. It was also about 8 pm, not the best time. They have always been very gentle, though, so it took me by surprise.

It's sort of funny the things that will set a hive off.

I sort of miss being able to just go up and mess around with my bees. (Sniff.) They are pretty good girls, but I wouldn't try them without a suit and veil right now. They allow me to go up and observe them from the side of the hive, and I can get right up close to them when I'm working out in that area, but they make it pretty clear that they don't want me near the front doors anymore. And I'd say they are some of the most gentle bees I've met.

My father has one hive that is even more sweet-natured, right next to the most evil hive he's got. :laugh:

This is not like them so I hope they aren't breaking bad. : D

Serves you right for naming one of them Heisenberg... ;)

(I'm sorry you got stung! I have found that putting apple cider vinegar on a bee sting halts the pain immediately and reduces swelling and redness to practically nothing. I hope you feel better soon!)

Using meat tenderizer will help break down the proteins in the venom. PIck up some inexpensive unseasoned meat tenderizer mix a bit of it with water when you have a sting and apply it right away as a paste to the sting.  It the papain in the tenderizer that makes the difference over other treatments, but needs to be done ASAP.

Watch for signs of celulitis if the injury is still getting worse on  days 2 and beyond.  Bees can pick up bacteria and then introduce it under your skin when you get stung. 

Using meat tenderizer will help break down the proteins in the venom. PIck up some inexpensive unseasoned meat tenderizer mix a bit of it with water when you have a sting and apply it right away as a paste to the sting.  It the papain in the tenderizer that makes the difference over other treatments, but needs to be done ASAP.

Watch for signs of celulitis if the injury is still getting worse on  days 2 and beyond.  Bees can pick up bacteria and then introduce it under your skin when you get stung. 

I read your first sentence and just about fell off my chair. The only meat tenderizer I know is a metal mallet with a spiky side that  I bash the meat with before cooking. I was imagining someone bashing their leg with it to stop a bee sting from itching! :ohmy:  Then I read on  and am now thinking it must be some sort of powder thing you guys put on meat?

we have bees. They are so much fun. we have had our share of stings. If you get stings regularly enough you can build up an immunity to them ( apparently I am still working on that part), and if you get enough stings all in the one place at the same time the area goes completely numb and you don't feel any pain ( don't ever take off safety equipment at the hive when a bee goes down your boot)

I read your first sentence and just about fell off my chair. The only meat tenderizer I know is a metal mallet with a spiky side that  I bash the meat with before cooking. I was imagining someone bashing their leg with it to stop a bee sting from itching! :ohmy:  Then I read on  and am now thinking it must be some sort of powder thing you guys put on meat?

LOL yes, it is a powder that is sold to use on meat.  LOL  Yes, please only use the powder....not the spiky meat mallet! :smash:   The mallet may make you forget about the bee sting, but not really help it get better! 

LOL yes, it is a powder that is sold to use on meat.  LOL  Yes, please only use the powder....not the spiky meat mallet! :smash:   The mallet may make you forget about the bee sting, but not really help it get better!