Menu

Share your incentive/rewards/motivational strategies!

I'd love to hear the different things you use and how you give them out, and what they are tied to (i.e. chores, school, specific subjects.)  Prizes? Money? Screen time? Special outings?  I'm looking for some new ideas for this year.  I know it depends quite a bit on the kid, too. 

If you are opposed to such things, no need to share that here.  :drool:

When my kids were little (kindy and 2nd for the boys), I used a marble jar because my K'er fought me with everything.  When we filled the jar, we did something fun.  Rented a movie, Sonic drink, etc.

Now that the boys are older, I encourage them a lot and give them some room to arrange their schoolwork schedule as it suits them.  I also "reward" them by giving them more input on how and when we do our work together.  That is not a concrete reward, but it does make them feel invested in what we are doing, more likely to cooperate with the plan (because they helped to make it) and more content and accepting of the assigned work because they know I am flexible with them if they need something to be different. 

Little girl gets free time to do as she pleases when schoolwork is done.

We do incentives for books read. I have a paint chip from the hardware store with the name of books written in each color square. I hole punch the square when he finishes the book, and he can trade in the whole strip for a reward when it's finished. Rewards can include a special dinner chosen by him, a new movie, or something little like that. He can also save them and trade more than one in for a bigger reward like dinner out, a more expensive movie or toy, or a special outing somewhere.

My son really wants to learn how to play Magic. *sigh* He gets it from his dad. Anyway, we were struggling big time with his attitude. Whining, fighting, hitting, talking back, etc. So my husband got a bunch of cheap Magic cards and set them aside for my son. Every day my son has a chance to earn one, but if he whines, is disobedient, etc he gets a strike. Three strikes and he doesn't get a card. Six strikes and he has to give one back. It's been working really well for a couple weeks now. He's gotten six strikes once, five strikes twice, and two or less the rest of the time. Don't ask about the little two, they are just crazy. I just use time outs for them

I pay dd6, and bribe her with tv.

We break up learning expectations into 10 Lessons (with a capital L).  A Lesson is whatever Mom deems it to be. 

Examples:

We do Saxon Math, so Meeting part (telling time, skip counting, patterns, etc) is a Lesson, the New Learning part is a Lesson, and 3 workbook pages are a Lesson.  So, 3 Lessons for Math/day.  This also works for us if we do a "double lesson" day with one round of Meeting, but two or three "New Learning" sections.

One lesson of writing = one Lesson for Mom.

One Caldecott book read and discussed = one Lesson for Mom

One page of ETC (Explode the Code)= one Lesson for Mom

We start with the hard, labor-intensive, and important stuff (Math, Phonics, Writing), and move on to fluff (ETC, reading Caldecott books) throughout the day.

For tv:

Dd6 gets 30 minutes of "free tv" each day.  If she wants more, she must earn it.

After 4 Lessons, dd6 has earned 30 minutes of free tv.

Then, after another 3 Lesson, she has earned another 30 minutes of tv.

Then, after 2 Lessons, another 30 minutes.

Then, after 1 Lesson.

Dd6 thinks she's putting something over on me because she has to do less and less work throughout the day to earn tv time.

Other details:

--All daytime tv must be PBS kids, or educational dvds.  If dd6 wants non-educational, she must save her time until Dad walks in the door (delayed gratification).

--This system is good for squeezing out a little extra work from dd6.  If she has done 6 Lessons today, it is easy to encourage her to do one more to earn more tv time.  By the time she has completed 7 Lessons, she nearly always completes the 10 because the benefits are so great (an extra HOUR of tv for 3 Lessons of work, even if it is just ETC).

--I don't give partial credit.  Either you have completed 4 Lessons, or you haven't.

--I don't care if dd6 does 10 pages of ETC in one day to meet her requirement; especially on days we are busy with other stuff.  I just care that the stuff gets done.

--The tv time is a good break for dd6.  However Mom reserves the right to make dd6 save her tv time until the toddler wakes, because (say it with me): "the best time to do schoolwork is when the baby is asleep."  The tv time also gives me time to nurse the toddler awake.

I'll write about money in another post.

My son really wants to learn how to play Magic. *sigh* He gets it from his dad. Anyway, we were struggling big time with his attitude. Whining, fighting, hitting, talking back, etc. So my husband got a bunch of cheap Magic cards and set them aside for my son. Every day my son has a chance to earn one, but if he whines, is disobedient, etc he gets a strike. Three strikes and he doesn't get a card. Six strikes and he has to give one back. It's been working really well for a couple weeks now. He's gotten six strikes once, five strikes twice, and two or less the rest of the time. Don't ask about the little two, they are just crazy. I just use time outs for them

I really like this idea. My kids aren't into Magic, but I'm sure I can find trading cards in topics that they are interested in. Thanks for sharing this!

We do incentives for books read. I have a paint chip from the hardware store with the name of books written in each color square. I hole punch the square when he finishes the book, and he can trade in the whole strip for a reward when it's finished. Rewards can include a special dinner chosen by him, a new movie, or something little like that. He can also save them and trade more than one in for a bigger reward like dinner out, a more expensive movie or toy, or a special outing somewhere.

I LOVE this and need to implement it, like, NOW (too bad DD isn't reading yet)

As a kid I loved something tangible to earn or complete instead of a vague 'finish these books'. I think it works so much better when you have something you can hold and progress with, even if the progress is just getting holes punched. 

I heard about one lady who used 100EZ and she offered an ice cream for every 10 lessons done. Guess who wanted to do 10 lessons daily!

My sister loved stickers, so getting a sticker was a reward all by itself. She had a scrapbook of stickers and mum would buy the fancy ones. They were almost like a currency around here for awhile.

I have also heard of using play money, and being able to 'buy' things with the play money at the end of the term/unit/semester. This would work well for older kids I think.

There is also the fact that there's no free time until work is done. When I was a kid, the school day did not end until all the assigned work (except for evening reading) was done. It was hard for mum some days, and it did result in sitting at the table at 9pm more than once. But, later, it resulted in kids who woke up at 6am, began school before breakfast, and were finished by lunchtime even in high school!

Sticker charts on the wall seem like one of the best ideas to me. You could even divide it up (for example, if you're focusing on a character trait, have a separate section for displaying that trait) Or, if your child is someone who likes to see progress, just having a chart with boxes, matching the number of days in your current unit/term, and letting them mark a day off each day they have completed everything (and two days when they catch up) would be useful. Have a reward at the end of the unit, a special dinner out, and students who lag behind will see that, no matter how much they procrastinate, the same amount of boxes are still waiting to be checked off.

When I was at school we used to earn tickets for different things, each thing was a different picture and colour, and you had to earn 10 matching tickets for a prize, or 30 (and save them) for a major prize. Tickets could only be redeemed every second friday.

Money Money Money Money Money Money.

When we started paying dd6 for schoolwork, Loverboy and I had gotten into a poor habit (in more than one way) of buying something for dd wherever we went.  Every trip to the zoo resulted in a new stuffed animal.  Every trip to the Science Center brought home a new set of plastic animals.  Every trip to the grocery store had the choice of a candy bar at the checkout. We knew something had to change.

So, "Did you bring your money???" became our motto in these situations.

By paying dd6 for schoolwork, we have a few benefits:

1) Dd6 knows that learning is her job.  Not mowing lawns.  Not babysitting.  Not working as a waitress for the 3am drunks, although she will probably do all of these things at some time or other. Her #1 job is LEARNING.

2) Mom and Dad acknowledge that her job is important.

3) We have NO ALLOWANCE in our house....but there is always opportunity to earn money.  If it is 10pm on the 4th of July, and dd6 wants to earn more money, I will sit down with her and her schoolbook of choice. 

4) Dd6 knows the value of a dollar.  Likewise, it is hard to tell her that she can't spend her money on _______________, because I know how hard she works for it.

5) For the change in the bottom of my purse, I have a motivated child.

The system:

In a prior post, I discussed Lessons (with a capital L).

For K work, dd earns 5c/Lesson.

For 1st work, dd earns 6c/Lesson.

For 2nd work, dd earns 7c/Lesson.

etc, etc.

In this way, when Little Sister says, "Why does Older Sister get paid more for her work than I do?" I will explain that Older Sister's 4th Grade work is harder than Little Sister's K work.  After all, those with a college degree should and do get paid more than those with only a high school diploma. This teaches the lesson that more education/harder work = more $$$.  And I am willing to work with Little Sister to bring her up to Older Sister's level if she is motivated.

This is also useful for when a child is at varying levels within a grade.  For example, dd did 2nd grade Math, 1st grade Phonics, and K for the rest of her work in her K year.  It was easy to pay a little extra for the higher level work.  Also, "We want to do the Math and Phonics first, because that pays the best!"

Other Details:

1) I pay 25c for 20 minutes of piano/day.  This started when we took $20/half-hour lessons :eek: at the music studio downtown.  Paying an extra$1.75/week was well worth the investment to get the most out of that lesson. 

2) If dd6 completes 10 Lessons in a day, I give a 25c bonus.  If you completed all of your work for your boss on time, wouldn't a bonus be nice?  This is an added incentive to get through everything.

3) If dd6 completes more than 10 Lessons/day, I add the overflow lessons to a day she did not complete everything.  In this way, she still has a chance to earn Bonus on days when she did not complete everything.

4) Dd6 is learning to manage her money.  She used to spend all of her money at every opportunity she could get.  Now she is accruing wealth.  This is because:

a) A 6yo has better delayed gratification skills than an 4yo.

b ) Last year, I created 3 "banks" for dd6.  When I paid her, I automatically divided her income into three equal parts: impulse $, saving for a specific goal $, and long-term $.  The long term money has a little gold lock on it.  I write the date on the bottom, and it stays locked for a whole year.  Even though we opened the long-term 4-months ago, dd has held onto most of the money.

c) I make comments on, "Doesn't it feel good to have [this amount] of money?"  We want her to take joy in saving as well as joy in spending.

d) We have discussions in the store about how much something costs.  If an impulse buy is $5, I hate to tell dd6 she cannot buy it.  It is her money. She can do what she wants with it.  I know how hard she works with it.  But to point out that this impulse buy is equivalent to A WHOLE WEEK OF DOING EVERYTHING PERFECTLY should make her question how much she wants it.  The last time, she cried, but she ultimately decided to save her money for something else.  :crying:

5) Whenever we go somewhere and dd6 does not have the money for something she wants, she always comes home highly motivated to do more schoolwork right away.

ETA: I have developed a recording page for keeping track of what is owed.  I pay money when the page is completed or a big event is anticipated (vacation, trip to zoo).

My kids are motivated by playing outside, screen time and staying up late, so we have a behavior chart with 7 colors, they start every day in the middle and they can move up or down based on their behavior, for the 6th & 7th colors they get 15 & 30 minutes extra privileges, for going to the bottom they get them taken away from their base amount, with the very lowest meaning they are completely grounded.  It's based on forgiveness in the sense that they can always move back up provided they don't move all the way to the bottom.  If they stay at middle or above at least 4 times in the week they can have a sleep over that weekend, if they get to the top at least 4 times they can get an icee over the weekend.  It seems to really help my daughter who has some behavior issues, my son goes along with it but rarely moves down because he's just an easy, mellow kid.

For reading, we've just started book adventure, my daughter doesn't like reading so I'm hoping this will motivate her, and if she completes 4 books at/above grade level and takes the test she can get an ice cream.  We'll see how that goes.  :)

No free time, Angry Birds (30 min.), or movies until school work is finished.

Talking or playing around during independent school time earns them a mark, and three marks earns them extra handwriting practice.

Mastering math facts earns them a trip out for ice cream. (xtramath.com)

Memorizing something really difficult in Latin (whatever we're working on at the time) earns them a few chocolate chips.

I give my Ker a chocolate chip for every page in handwriting she finishes.  I need her to go quickly and this has really helped.

I pay my kids for doing their chores, $0.25 each chore.  They earn on average about $5-6 a week.

That's all I can think of...

#1 works for screen time

#2 worked for art time

#3 works for legos (I buy kits and he gets four pieces per day for schoolwork)

#4 works for minimarshmallows

We have tried complicated sticker/points charts, etc. but this works best. We also have "fun fridays": if the child is done with their work for the week by noon, they can watch a movie and eat a special treat that afternoon (while I finish grading and prepping for next week).

No breakfast until morning chores are done (get dressed, brush hair, make bed, feed pets).  No screen time until everyone's work is done.  Well, the children's work, at least (includes once-a-week laundry, and once-a-week changing sheets, occasional 5-minute room pick-up).   :001_rolleyes:  

When I wanted to train my kids to clear the table after meals, I put a jar in the middle of the table with a candy bar in it.  Every time they cleared their own dishes without being told, we added a marble.  When the glass was full, they got a marble.  The last time we went to a restaurant, both my kids asked me what they should do with their dishes.   :D

I pay DD for books she reads. The amount depends on the length and difficulty of the book. It's usually somewhere between fifty cents and a dollar. Sometimes she earns DVDs that go along with the book, if I can find them cheaply enough. For example, I promised her the Spiderwick Chronicles movie if she finished all 5 books. 

Right now, TV time is a reward for finished chores, and free outside time is reward for finished lessons. They earn a small piece of candy for each math lesson mastered on IXL or they can save up get to do the candy buffet for 5 mastered. I have been thinking of starting a game of book Bingo where they earn $5 gift card when the card is full. I like the idea someone mentioned about play money. The girls' public school had dolphin dollars, and it was one thing that the girls did enjoy.

Aurelia says:

I pay DD for books she reads. The amount depends on the length and difficulty of the book. It's usually somewhere between fifty cents and a dollar. Sometimes she earns DVDs that go along with the book, if I can find them cheaply enough. For example, I promised her the Spiderwick Chronicles movie if she finished all 5 books.

This is actually one of the better systems for rewarding kids.  One of the more recent studies (within the last 5 years) tested kids being rewarded in a few different ways.  First Graders were paid 25c for every book they read. 

The advantage was:

1) Kids who read well do well in ALL subjects

and

2) The benefits from this First Grade Program were still measurable in Third Grade, even thought the program ended at the close of First Grade.

I have a jar for each child and ice cream sticks with 15min written on each.  They get rewarded with 15 minutes of screen time for each of the following: Morning chores (brush teeth, get dressed, make beds, tidy rooms etc.), afternoon chores (one or two daily duties that change like vacuuming of cleaning bathrooms), completing blocks of school work without complaining (Math, LA, kumon homework etc.) This is our first week of using it and so far it has been a great motivator.  They used to get 1 hour of screen time after school was completed, but now they earn up to 30 minutes more if all of the above is completed well.  

Do it or else: that is my motivational speech to all the kids

Just kidding....sorta. They do have chores to be completed and it is expected of them. They have school work and assignments to be completed as well. Motivation wise. They get no tv/electronic time after 5pm until their chores and studies are completed. If they have to sit at the table all.day.LONG. so be it. Their choice. It has only happened once with one child and he hasn't done it since. The only "reward" I give them is if they work on xtramath after school, they earn 20 minutes of internet gaming time which is a big deal to my girls. They just LOVEEEEE barbie . com

I have a prize box and punch cards for my younger son, but my older son likes other types of rewards better. These are great ideas! Any pitfalls to avoid with a reward system?

When my older son was in school, his first grade teacher had an incentive program for reading--she bribed them openly and shamelessly to read (her words). She was used to maybe 4-5 kids per year completing her program at most (and many kids completing it for only a month or two), so the standards were very high as well as the rewards. It was called the 1000 minutes club, and each month that a student read 1000 minutes (both assigned and pleasure reading counted), that student received a dollar in the form of either a gold dollar or a silver dollar. If it was their 2nd or 3rd month, they received $2 or $3 as applicable. They also received a prize, and each prize got incrementally better. The first month was a nice bank (choice of piggy or a counting bank). Other prizes were timer bookmarks, basic function scientific calculators, a graphic novel, etc. The year my son was in 1st grade, I think she had more than a dozen kids each month reading 1000 minutes. It's good she taught for the pleasure, not the income because she was astounded (but pleased) with her payout that year. My older son is now an avid reader. Anyway, I hope to do something like that with my K'er, but with fewer minutes.