Menu

Flour/grain mills Do you have one and what would you recommend?

Storm Bay

Feel free to put links to older, helpful threads on this, but also to answer me here if you'd like.

I want something that will grind not only wheat, but gluten free grains. Ideally something that will do small grains such as hulled millet (probably not tef, but if one does that tiny grain, I'd like to know), and/or if you can grind corn into meal and/or flour.

Also, while I use mostly whole grain flours, if there's an option to separate the bran out & make white flour with the germ, or even just white flour, that would be great. In addition, can you do soft wheat (for pastry flour), etc.

We have a nutrimill and love it.

If you are glutenfree for health reasons, there is no way to eliminate contamination between grindings....even with a good cleaning some flour dust will remain.

We also have a blendtec....great for small batches of grains and making nut butters but not a large enough cup capacity for serious dough making.

We have a nutrimill and love it.

If you are glutenfree for health reasons, there is no way to eliminate contamination between grindings....even with a good cleaning some flour dust will remain.

We also have a blendtec....great for small batches of grains and making nut butters but not a large enough cup capacity for serious dough making.

Thanks. I wondered about that. Perhaps we can get a small hand crank one for gluten free since that's only one of us & small amounts and something more substantial for wheat. I'll take a look at the Nutrimill.

ETA is it a slow mill or fast? 

I have a Nutrimill that I bought used several years ago.  It's pretty fast, at least compared to hand-crank.  It can take it 10-15 minutes to grind a whole hopper full of wheat.  But I agree, there's no way you'd want to use it for both wheat and GF stuff.

No way to separate out the bran that I know of.  I researched pretty heavily when I bought mine and I don't recall seeing that as a feature on any of the mills that I looked at. But it's been at least 6-7 yrs, so who knows :)

I want to add that if you or one of your family has an allergy.........Dust really does fly into the air with a Nutrimill.  Anyone in the house is exposed.

I love my Nutrimill.  I have the one speed model and have never felt the need to change the speed.  I do grind organic popcorn into cornmeal.  Soooooo much better than store-bought.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add that if you or one of your family has an allergy.........Dust really does fly into the air with a Nutrimill.  Anyone in the house is exposed.

I love my Nutrimill.  I have the one speed model and have never felt the need to change the speed.  I do grind organic popcorn into cornmeal.  Soooooo much better than store-bought.

I also have a nutrimill. I have started grinding my wheat on the deck to eliminate the dust in the house.

Joy

I have a nutrimill and I love it.  I don't really have a problem with lots of dust (as long as I have all the pieces in right including that sponge filter thingy.)  But, I am sure that there is fine dust that gets in the air but isn't visibly settling on my counters.  If I had a gluten allergic family member, I might grind it outside (we have a porch that I could use) or in my garage.  I have a friend who has a different mill that does spew a bit of dust (I think a small part broke and she never replaced it.)  She mills it on her front porch year round (including during cold weather.)  As far as separating out the bran, well that kind of defeats the purpose of home milling for most people.  I agree that you should not use the same machine for GF milling. 

Another nutrimill lover. As others have said, there is no way to prevent cross contamination.  I would have a separate mill for the gluten free person.  I have not noticed a dust issue, except that time I didn't have the bowl pushed in all the way.  That was something to see.

FWIW, the K-Tec mill (made by the same people as the Blend-tec blender) has the same dust problem. It's less expensive, and can't grind beans, popcorn, etc. the way that the nutrimill can...but it's less expensive and does just as good of a job as the Nutrimill.

The grind time is slightly faster with the K-Tec.

(A bunch of us with mills got together and tested them, 'cause we're geeks like that.)

This is a great idea, but might be a bit chilly in the winter here. 

It gets cold here too and I do it year round on my back porch.  I set it on a chair right outside my door.  That way I don't have to go far.   :001_smile:

I have a nutrimill and I love it.  I don't really have a problem with lots of dust (as long as I have all the pieces in right including that sponge filter thingy.)  But, I am sure that there is fine dust that gets in the air but isn't visibly settling on my counters.    I have a friend who has a different mill that does spew a bit of dust (I think a small part broke and she never replaced it.)  She mills it on her front porch year round (including during cold weather.) 

I love my nutimill too and I don't think it produces a huge amount of dust either.  I can't see it and I don't notice that it settles anywhere, but I do have a daughter who has really bad seasonal allergies and it never fails that grinding wheat in the house will trigger a sneezing fit for her, so it makes her happier when I do it outside..