Menu

Stupid, stupid cat pee and litter boxes are making insane!

AlmiraGulch

I love my cats.  Really, I do.  

But I'm seriously at my wits end with the stupid urine smell!  

I have two cats, and two boxes.  No room (and no need) for a third.  The male cat hates using the same box as my old female.  I have different types of litter in each box, because each cat seems to like his/her own kind.

The bathroom where the boy cat's litter box is always, always, always reeks of cat pee.  I have tried every single kind of litter and litter box system known to man.  We scoop several times a day.  There is never waste just sitting in there.  At this point, though, the urine seems to have gotten into the tile and grout, and I feared the smell would never go away.  

Today I tried a mix of hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, baking soda, and a touch of dish soap.  Mixed in a spray bottle, soaked the floor and let it sit for about 30 minutes.  Mopped it up, and.....voila!  NO MORE CAT URINE SMELL!!!  I swear I almost cried I was so happy.  Until.....I just walked down to that end of the hall and it just reeked again.  What the?  I walked into the bathroom, and stepped right in a puddle of pee.  So, it appears that one of the cats (I don't know which one) isn't even attempting to use the box and just going straight on the floor.  I'm so frustrated!

I don't know if it's my senior kitty, who has kidney failure (although she uses the other litter box just fine), or if it's my my boy kitty who is just mad that old girl kitty has started using his box.  Either way, I don't know that there's anything I can do about either of those things.  

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?  I can't heal the one's kidneys (and again, she uses the other box fine), and I can't  keep her from using that box.  

I'm desperate!  I cannot have my house smelling like cat pee, and I don't want to soak the bathroom floor several times a day, or step in cat pee when I go in there.  Help me!

I think there's a definite need for at least one more litter box.  The general rule for cats is one box per cat plus one more.  And that's for cats with no issues.  From a cat's perspecitve, more boxes to choose from is always better.

And I'd try some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter.  I've (thankfully) never needed to use it, but I know many people who swear by it.

You might also consider replacing the existing litter boxes if they're more than a couple of years old.  No matter how well they're cleaned, the plastic eventually retains odors.  I'm not saying that's what you're smelling, but it's possible the cats can smell it and it's making one of them not want to use the box.

Don't assume if it's your boy kitty that he's mad.  Frequently the first sign of a UTI will be urinating outside of the box.  Likewise, if it's the female cat don't overlook the possibility of a UTI or other health issue besides kidney issues.

As a last resort, maybe consider putting down some puppy pee pads and see if the offending cat will use those?

I've heard the thing about one box per cat, plus an extra.  So, you would need 3 boxes.  

I agree about checking for a UTI, but only if the cat is hanging around the boxes a lot trying to go, and perhaps crying out when s/he tries to go.  

My cats did the same thing.  The boxes were in the basement and the cat would go right next to the boxes.  It's hard to get urine out of concrete.  The cats all died 4 years ago and on humid days I can still smell it.  Grrrr.

I think there's a definite need for at least one more litter box.  The general rule for cats is one box per cat plus one more.  And that's for cats with no issues.  From a cat's perspecitve, more boxes to choose from is always better.  I agree this is true as a rule.  I've had three before, but a) I really have nowhere to put a third that isn't out in the middle of our living space, and that's just gross,  and B) when I had 3, the 3rd never got used.  Although, honestly, I'd try basically anything at this point, so I may very well go this route again to see if it helps. 

And I'd try some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter.  I've (thankfully) never needed to use it, but I know many people who swear by it. I've never heard of that!  I'll be looking......

You might also consider replacing the existing litter boxes if they're more than a couple of years old.  No matter how well they're cleaned, the plastic eventually retains odors.  I'm not saying that's what you're smelling, but it's possible the cats can smell it and it's making one of them not want to use the box.  This is good advice, although mine are both less pretty new.  Like less than 6 months.  Maybe I'll replace them again anyway, just to see if it makes a difference. 

Don't assume if it's your boy kitty that he's mad.  Frequently the first sign of a UTI will be urinating outside of the box.  Likewise, if it's the female cat don't overlook the possibility of a UTI or other health issue besides kidney issues.  Oh, man....I hadn't even considered that he might have a UTI, or her, for that matter.  She has had them before and her behavior changes considerably.  Since I hadn't seen that, it didn't cross my mind.  Sounds like it's time for a vet visit for them both.

As a last resort, maybe consider putting down some puppy pee pads and see if the offending cat will use those?   I hadn't thought of that, either.  Maybe I'll line the whole area next to the box with the pads anyway, just in case......

And here I thought I'd thought of everything!  Thanks for the advice.  

I agree about checking for a UTI, but only if the cat is hanging around the boxes a lot trying to go, and perhaps crying out when s/he tries to go.  

They're not doing this, but my girl cat didn't do that when I know she had UTI's previously.  I think I just need to take both of them to the vet as a starting point.

We swear by Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It is cheaper on amazon, but you can get some to start at Petsmart. Sometimes local places carry it too.

Take the lids off of the boxes. If one cat was using the box and another cat spooked it, they might now see the lidded box as unsafe. Or a flap scared it. Or... Who knows, cats are nuts. ;)

Avoid citrus cleaners and deodorizers around the boxes.

If the culprit kitty is found and cleared by vet, you may need to confine said kitty to a small area with a litter box for a week or so. Our vet consulted with a behaviorist at the university vet school and helped us come up with a plan. We were poor grad students and desperate. We've had to do a "sensory reset" only twice since then... We've even tried Buspar when he was stressed during a move. Sweetest boy alive, but he has peed on and ruined two couches in his lifetime. Another time we discovered his thyroid was totally out of whack. He's 18 now and it's been many years (knock wood). We now have 4 kitties and only 2 large litter boxes. We replace the boxes frequently, use only Cat Attract, and try to scoop several times a day.

Good luck!

We swear by Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It is cheaper on amazon, but you can get some to start at Petsmart. Sometimes local places carry it too. Is it clumping? 

Take the lids off of the boxes. If one cat was using the box and another cat spooked it, they might now see the lidded box as unsafe. Or a flap scared it. Or... Who knows, cats are nuts. ;)   No lids, so I'm good there

Avoid citrus cleaners and deodorizers around the boxes.   Don't use those, so that's good. 

I'll try anything.  No kidding.  Thanks for the input.

Try putting a second litter box in the bathroom where the cat is peeing on the floor. Just as a temporary measure to get that cat going in a box instead. We tried the puppy pads but the cat just scratched them up and made a bigger mess.

It's a pain to step around a second box for a while but it's better than cleaning floors.

We tried the puppy pads but the cat just scratched them up and made a bigger mess.

You can get holders for the puppy pads.  Top Paw pads (available at Petsmart) have adhesive strips to help hold the pad down.  But I'm not sure how strong the adhesive is.

Is it possible that your boy cat is getting into the litter box like he's suposed to but is peeing over the side of the box ?  I wonder if a litter box with higher sides might help? 

Good luck!  I hope you find a solution...that odor is one of the worst to have to deal with. 

Is it possible that your boy cat is getting into the litter box like he's suposed to but is peeing over the side of the box ?  I wonder if a litter box with higher sides might help? 

Good luck!  I hope you find a solution...that odor is one of the worst to have to deal with. 

I thought maybe that was it at first, but the puddle I stepped into this morning was not near the box. 

The general thinking among cat experts is that while humans like covered litter boxes, cats hate them.  Uncovered boxes are highly recommended for any cat with an inappropriate elimination problem.  There are lots of theories behind why cats probably hate covered litter boxes.  Two of the biggies are that the covers are too confining and that some cats have a fear of being ambushed while doing their business.  It's a vulnerable position.  Being in a covered box means they can't see what's going on around them.

You might also consider replacing the existing litter boxes if they're more than a couple of years old.  No matter how well they're cleaned, the plastic eventually retains odors.  I'm not saying that's what you're smelling, but it's possible the cats can smell it and it's making one of them not want to use the box.

For our boy cat that had box problems, as he got older I ended up having to use disposable boxes ( I used a new one each month) and I also had to use scentless litter ( Arm & Hammer Unscented ) -- never heard of/tried that Attract litter though.

ETA - just saw those disposable boxes aren't sold direct from Amazon anymore (I actually bought them subscribe &save when I was using them) - so this bigger box might be a better deal