Menu

Need some Asian recipes that are more than the usual stir-fry

Jean in Newcastle

Asian Noodle Salad is a hit at our house.  You can make it ahead and eat it cold or serve it warm.  I often make this when I need to bring something to a picnic or when it is just plain hot outside. 

8 oz. Udon noodles or spaghetti (we use whole wheat spaghetti noodles)

1/2 cup chicken broth (or faux chic broth or vegetable broth)

1 1/2 tablespoons honey

3 tablespoons peanut butter

3 tablespoons soy sauce (ETA)

2 teaspoons hot chili sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger

3 cloves garlic

8 oz Tofu and/or cooked chicken breasts

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1 cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup pea pods or julienned carrots or bean sprouts

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Boil the noodles according to the directions.  Combine the next 7 ingredients into a saucepan and heat, stirring until thoroughly mixed.  Keep warm.  Cube the tofu and/or cut up the cooked chicken breasts.  Chop the rest of the vegetables.  Once the noodles are done, drain them, then pour the sauce over the top, add the tofu/chicken and veggies and mix well.  Top with chopped peanuts (and maybe a little more of the green onions for garnish.)  Easy, healthy and nutritious. 

ETA: forgot the soy sauce

If you'd like to keep it simple, I'd highly recommend this book:

China Express by Nina Simonds

It's not as strictly authentic as her other cookbooks, but it's eminently more do-able. :)

ETA: I might be confusing her with another cookbook author. It appears she has a number of "simple" books out there. I just put her wraps book on hold. 

I like my mom's steam fish... Just this fish (white fish.. Whole fish.. It scared my husband because we also eat fish eyes...) put some green scallion/ginger on top. Salt/pepper/rice wine and steam it.. Quick, easy and yummy

If you want veggie, mom cook bamboo shoot, mushroom and other stuff together. The clost I can find is

http://id.lkk.com/en/Kitchen/Professional/professional_recipe/braised-mushrooms-and-bamboo-shoots-990375

I am a Taiwaness FWIW

Here is a recipe for lettuce wraps: http://onceamonthmom.com/gfdf-knock-off-pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

I have made it with mushrooms on one occasion and canned chickpeas on another subbed for the ground turkey. It has been good every way that I have made it. I do either halve or quarter the amount of chili garlic sauce called for so it is not too hot.