Menu

Lego minifigure problem

vonfirmath

My son's main gift from us for his birthday this year (Age 6) is my old Legos.  I got to wondering "What if they molded in all these years (more than 10) I haven't had them open. What happens if they are slimy, or in other ways unusable. "  So last night I opened them up and enjoyed the memories.

There are lots and lots of pieces there. Most of the instruction manuals (The kitchen manual, at least, is missing. But I found that one online). I don't know if all the pieces are there because I didn't start to put them together.

The old homemaker figures are there. (The ones you put together 2x4s and other blocks)

But I don't have any of the minifigs!  
Not the kids in the Bathroom and Kitchen sets.
261-1.jpg

269-1.jpg

Not the firemen
6382-1.jpg

and not the space men neither.
6950-1.jpg

I know why. It's my fault.  I used the minifigs with my Barbies and my doll house play. So they got stored away from the Lego.  Who knows where. By now they may even have been given away. My mom's been going through stuff in her house and hasn't seen them at all. But I am bummed and trying to figure out what to do for figures for my son.

Maybe he won't need any? Buy current day figures -- but for some of these I need KIDS, not adults.  Try to scrounge stuff up off ebay?

Do kids really play with their minifigures? (Especially boys. I know I did. Obviously. So much they got stored away from the regular Lego!)

Those are awesome sets!  What a great gift!

Yes, the minifigs get lots of play here.  Actually, they are the most prized.  If I were you, and had time, I'd check ebay for some appropriate minifigs.  If that doesn't work, pick up some current minifigs and call it good.

If you have a local Brick Fair at any point... It's like a Lego Festival... Definitely go.  You may find replacements for the ones you've lost.  Here's one:  http://www.brickfair.com/  But there are other dates and locations.  :)

Do you have a Lego store near you? They have a big bin where you build your own figures--pick a head, hat, body, accessory, etc. It is super fun! If you can't find your figures, maybe a trip to the store to build some??

ETA: Before you give him the Legos, check the price on Ebay. You might be able to sell them for enough to get some nice, big, current sets.

Minifigs are a BIG deal in our house.  He (meaning me) usually puts the big sets together, then just displays them in his room, but the minifigs are what he actually plays with.  He does play with them with the sets sometimes, but mostly just on their own.  I call them dolls for boys.

*My* biggest problem with minifigs?  He has too darn many!

Too cool!! Those are awesome sets.

My six-year old boy LOVES his minifigs. I even have a silicone minifig mold...we make chocolate minifigs. obviously not for playing, but they're a big hit after dinnertime. :laugh:  I think you could get away with current minifigs for those sets, though. I would make a trip to the LEGO store or buy some online. I don't think you specifically need kid minifigs...a little imagination will work to make an adult minifig a child, if necessary!

Those are awesome sets!  What a great gift!

Yes, the minifigs get lots of play here.  Actually, they are the most prized.  If I were you, and had time, I'd check ebay for some appropriate minifigs.  If that doesn't work, pick up some current minifigs and call it good.

If you have a local Brick Fair at any point... It's like a Lego Festival... Definitely go.  You may find replacements for the ones you've lost.  Here's one:  http://www.brickfair.com/  But there are other dates and locations.   :)

I agree. My son sometimes picks sets  by which one has the most minifigs. So, I would definitely check out the site above to look for replacements. What an awesome gift!

Guest submarines

Oh wow, these are like Playmobil! I had not idea Lego made these kind of sets. Cool.

Kids all play differently with lego. After building a set, DS takes it apart and free builds. He is not into mini figures that much. Boys might play differently from girls. Age might matter.

DH got DS a huge Mecano set when DS was a newborn--it was on sale, and it was DH's most favorite toy when he was a child. DS is 8 and despite of several attempts to introduce it to him in the last year, he is just not into Mecano. Just saying. I hope your DS loves it, but it is okay if he is not into it as much as you were.

My kids think the minifigures are the best part. They have been buying the different series in the separate packets and trading duplicates with friends. My second son orders decals and pieces to customize his own. He uses Sharpies and acrylic paint to make the faces. There is a huge market for custom figures, esp. the Star Wars ones. You got to get the minifigures.

Minifigs are my kids' favorite parts about Legos too.  They got the Millenium Falcon set for Christmas, and their favorite part about it is the minifigs.  

You can get kid minifigs; we have a young Han Solo and also several hobbits, and they have shorter legs.  Findmybrick.com has a lot of Lego parts.

Those are so NEAT!

You can also buy individual minifigs and minifig sets on Amazon - some aren't very expensive at all. You can also get random minifigs by series in your local Walmart or Target for 3.99/ea.  Ds LOVED the make your own sets at the Lego store and Legoland - he's made our family a couple times over. It's 3 minifigs with an accessory apiece for 9.99, which isn't too bad.