Menu

household/grocery items cheaper using Amazon Prime?

HollyDay

Still in the 30 trial period.  I wasn't aware amazon had household and grocery type things.  With the free shipping, what items are cheaper using Amazon than the local store?  Foodstuffs, shampoos, vitamins, cleaners, paper goods, etc.?? Trying to cut the budget if I can.....

Some stuff is cheaper, but the sizes are generally smaller, so I have no found Amazon to be a good deal on most food items. I do buy some organic stuff there that is cheaper, and sometimes toilet paper is really cheap. Enjoy Chocolate chips are cheaper there unless Vitacost is having free shipping. I cannot think of other things off the top of my head right now. I should be asleep. :)

Amazon is slightly cheaper than my local Wal-mart (pretty much my only local option) for my preferred brand of toilet paper, shampoo, soap, and diapers.  If I come up with 5 items in one month, they qualify for a Subscribe and Save discount of 20%, so then they are significantly cheaper.  Other items we've bought to come up with 5 items but don't purchase very regularly are malted milk powder and bacon croutons.

Guest inoubliable

We use it for our Barlean's oil and the big 15# bag of basmati rice. Vegan veggie stock cubes. Dial soap bars, toothpaste, mouthwash. A few other things. Mostly things that we can't get where we live anyway. The Subscribe and Save is awesome for a lot of things and you don't need Prime to get those savings. 

:bigear:  I haven't seen anything that we buy regularly for less on Amazon that at the grocery store on sale, but I want prime for some of the other benefits (streaming Mr. Rogers actually tops the list right now, lol) and this would sweeten the deal.

I mostly buy things that are hard to find locally - certain crackers my family likes, Bob's Red Mill grain products, sometimes tea.  I had been buying coconut oil there till I saw it at Costco (cheaper).  My daughter buys a skin care product that is much cheaper through Amazon than the local store.  My husband buys certain types of batteries there.  I've found a few home cleaning products there that we had previously bought in stores but couldn't find anymore.

One thing I'm going to look for today is cheap plastic food containers (such as ziplock brand) for taking food to people.  There are a lot of pg women at church right now and I foresee more than the usual number of meal deliveries in my future. 

I also need to order pencils but first I need to go find the pencil thread. ;) :D

I haven't purchased much for household items other than some our vitamin D supplements. But, we use it for not just net streaming, but all our Christmas shopping now because we have so little choice available locally. So that free, two day shipping is wonderful. For us, the only time it hasn't come in two days, is when we order on the weekend. But Monday through Thursday, we always get it that fast. We get a lot of science supplies this way because even if they aren't necessarily cheaper than other suppliers, the shipping at Carolina Biological, Edmunds, The Chemistry Store, etc. is so high, that it's the same price or lower in the end and again, it gets here far faster than the slow, expensive shipping from the other places. So, I love my prime.

I should check out things like shampoo and what not. DD's hubby has extraordinarily dry skin and uses a lot of Burt's lotion which he's found to be one of the best for him. He pays a pretty penny for it where he is at since his local Walmart doesn't carry it. I should see if it would be cheaper for us to buy it on Amazon and send it directly to him.

Razors and razor blades are much cheaper. So are the replacement toothbrush heads for electric toothbrushes. And those are predictable-use items, so you can save an additional 5% by doing subscribe and save. We're strictly cloth around here, but I nderstand that the savings on diapers, wipes, and feminine products are steep.

We've also done bulk whole wheat pasta, batteries, almost all of our toys and games, soap in bulk, electronic accessories, white boards... We are huge amazon junkies. The savings on these things have varied from 10-75% over local big box stores.

Dishwasher detergent and dryer sheets on subscribe and save is about the same price as Target for me, but having it magically show up on subscribe and save so I don't have to remember it is worth it.

If you have a smart phone, you can download an Amazon app with a scan feature. Then you just go do your shopping at your nearby big box store and scan all the bar codes for prices. If you know exactly what you normally pay, you can just scan the items at home.

For me, it's so much easier to have things delivered than to drive 30 miles and hunt around. I pay shipping and still save time, money and sanity. I just can't find a lot of things in my little town.

my recent orders :

1 gallon coconut oil. $25 plus shipping (I think around $30 total)

2 pounds pink Himalayan salt under $12 with shipping, but quality is not what I hoped

Prayer beads- cheap, but still waiting a month later

undies for 2 kids -reasonable prices and super convenient

I don't order often enough to justify prime membership, but that amazon app on my kindle makes life so much easier.

Periodically some of the Eden Organics canned beans in BPA free cans drop lower than WFs price per can. Sometimes a good bit cheaper, so I buy a case when they drop.

I just picked up two boxes of Lara bars for 14.xx per case of 16. My local grocery stores charge 1.20 or so on average, and periodically run sales where they are 1.00/bar. So at a price under 1.00 a bar, I buy. I have made them before but keep these on hand for emergency snacks, pool snacks, etc. I will probably take a case to the beach in a few weeks.

I found TP for about 50 cents a roll. We usually buy at Costco but I'm going to have some shipped directly to our vacation destination when we go. Ditto paper towels. They may not be cheaper but the convenience is nice.

I buy Honeyville Grain almond flour in the 5lb bags and other specialty items that are tough to find elsewhere.

I LOVE Amazon and HATE Walmart, so anything that helps me avoid Wally World is awesome.  That said, Subscribe & Save saves me money over Walmart on toilet paper, dishwasher soap, vitamins, feminine products, floss sticks, and tissue.  I'm always looking for things to add to that list, too.  The only problem I have is that I don't really know when I'm going to run out of some things and/or I don't buy them "regularly" or else I'd have everything on that list.