Menu

Bread Machine recommendations?

Miss Marple

It appears that my Cuisinart bread machine has died.  There is a click when I plug it in, but no power.  I'll have dh take it apart to see if he can fix it, but I'm not too confident.  It is out of warranty.

So...any recommendations for a good bread machine?  The most common way I use it is to make cinnamon rolls...so I really don't bake it in the machine.  I like the ease of doing it in the machine and I get a much better product than I do when I do it all the old fashioned way :)  

TIA

I second the Zojirushi. I had a breadman before this and it did ok. When it died I decided to get a Zo and I am glad I did. The bread bakes more evenly and rises better. Also the holes from the paddle are smaller. The other feature that my breadman didnt have is I can put the ingredients into the pan with the pan on the counter and then insert it into the machine. If I did that with the breadman the paddles would fall off the posts and not kneed the bread. This made it impossible to keep the inside of the breadmaker clean! The shape of the loaf in the breadman was also taller and shorter in length. That meant for a large sandwich, but fewer of them.

I went with an amazon $50 free shipping Breadman last year because I like baking in the oven too.  Mine is most always used on the big dough setting, and then I split the batch for a cinnamon raisin loaf and an artisan or french loaf. 

I like the Zo too, but I don't think I could justify the funds for it.

I got a breadman a couple years ago for super cheap. It had been a floor model at a bed, bath and beyond. It was perfect, just been on the floor. It lasted about 18 months of heavy duty usage and then it died.  I liked it and would buy one again, but it died a little bit too quickly for my tastes.

Now I have a zoji and it is wonderful. It works better than the Breadman and it has been going strong for over 2 years with no sign of stopping.

I have an Oster, this one (sorry I can't link nicely)  http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTBRTW20-2-Pound-Expressbake-Breadmaker/dp/B003GXM0EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373924757&sr=8-1&keywords=oster+bread

We've had it about 5 years and I use it lightly, about once a month or so.  I bake in it usually but also use it for making dough, if I'm making Naan, for instance. 

I really like it.  I'm not a professional baker so I may be missing something, but it works well for us.  I've only had I think 1 or 2 loaves not turn out (not rise or too dense) and I'm pretty sure I messed up those times with the settings or ingredients. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My son, the one who takes things apart and fixes them, is on a mission trip this week :(  Dh may be able to figure out why it isn't turning on.  I think it's in the switch...but not sure it is worth fixing.  I don't want to spend a huge amount on a machine because this is more "recreational" for me LOL  We like cinnamon rolls and using the machine just makes it easy.  Otherwise I really don't use it much.  I'll check out the ones suggested.  Thanks again.

I just did a double take. This thread was at the time, only two down from the best breastfeeding stories thread, and so my mind read "breast machines". Which made my brain go :huh:

As for bread machines, I had an oster for over a decade. I did not make bread daily, but I at least made one loaf per week for most of that time. The bearings went out in year 11. It was not a heavy duty bread machine, but the quality of the bread was nice. I didn't like the shape though. It came out totally square and way too large for our toaster so it couldn't be sliced for convenience. I would have preferred one that made a more standard loaf.

Faith

It appears that my Cuisinart bread machine has died.  There is a click when I plug it in, but no power.  I'll have dh take it apart to see if he can fix it, but I'm not too confident.  It is out of warranty.

So...any recommendations for a good bread machine?  The most common way I use it is to make cinnamon rolls...so I really don't bake it in the machine.  I like the ease of doing it in the machine and I get a much better product than I do when I do it all the old fashioned way :)

TIA

Could you have just blown a fuse?

TIA

Could you have just blown a fuse?

If you're mostly going to use it for kneading and not for the actual baking, check any thrift stores in the area.  Around here, the thrift stores have so many they can't give them away, and you can pick one up for a couple bucks.  That's how I got mine, and it works like a dream.  Garage sales often have them, too.