Menu

What is your greatest challenge(s) as a homeschooler?

laughing lioness

How to nurse a baby...while...

...teaching math on my left, grammar on my right...while...

...cooking, folding laundry, and mopping behind me...while...

...praying to the Lord above me...

I am not a very good multitasker and am so thankful the Greatest Multitasker showers His grace on me daily.

How to nurse a baby...while...

...teaching math on my left, grammar on my right...while...

...cooking, folding laundry, and mopping behind me...while...

...praying to the Lord above me...

I am not a very good multitasker and am so thankful the Greatest Multitasker showers His grace on me daily.

Thats an easy one, drop baby in a front carry in an Ergo or Mai Tai, they can help themselves while your arms are freed up:)

I would have to say that my biggest challenge is teaching facts, rather than skills. I love to learn new things like sewing, knitting, cake decorating, painting, etc. Trying to instill a love of learning in my children has been difficult because a. I didn't have a good role model and don't have anything from which to draw, and b. because information about five thousand wars becomes redundant. I know that those reasons might chafe others but it's the truth and after 10 years of homeschooling, I haven't found a way to kick it.

My biggest challenge right now is serious burnout. The last couple of years have been very eventful in our family, and not in a happy, energizing, fulfilling kind of way. I. Am. So. Tired. 

My biggest ongoing challenge is my atypical student. He is an anxiety-riddled, autistic, reluctant learner with vastly different levels of ability in different subjects and tasks. It can be a challenge to figure out what teaching approaches and methods to use, and then to find materials I think will work well for us, and figure out how to schedule structured, but very flexible days and weeks and lessons. I remember one year trying to figure out what to do with English lessons for a kid who wrote like a second grader but read like a college student. Keeps me on my toes. And it gets frustrating sometimes and I feel like I'm banging my head against a (petulant) wall, so I have to sit myself down and remind myself of a) how much worse it all was when he was in school, and B) how far we've come, especially in some of the non-academic areas we've been working on, like working independently, and coping with having made a mistake.

This is my dd. It is such a struggle to engage her as a learner.

My daughter's learning disibilities. I have been teaching her phonics since she was 3 and now that she is a rising 4th grader, she can read on a 2nd grade level. Very frustrating when younger brother has surpassed her in all subjects. I feel like everything I choose to do in school revolves around her ability. Not having the $$$$ to provide her with vision therapy. The fact that NONE of my dc can do any work independently.

Thats an easy one, drop baby in a front carry in an Ergo or Mai Tai, they can help themselves while your arms are freed up:)

Yes, definitely baby wearing all day helps. I use a sling for baby and had to sanction "school hours" for schooling only and not housework. Finally realizing that I am in charge of the level of multitasking necessary, I have been less anxious ...but multitasking is my main challenge these days homeschooling six children with a toddler and newborn in our midst.

Definitely the children. Especially when they cry. Crying makes me ragey.

I'm demanding and I veer towards rigid.

I don't know when to let up and let go.

I work myself extremely hard and think other people should approach life in the same way.

I devalue things that I personally do not value.

it's like you're in my head

I've had the same problem. We are in the middle here....not as unschooley as many we are around, but not as structured as the classical folks. We also take the summers off (3 months) so we HAVE to do school during the school year. Those with whom my kids socialize are often year -rounders or 4 day a weekers who school year round. My kids go "Hey, they won't have to do more school when they get home from this activity. They are going to the park after the meeting. It's not FAIR!" But my kids don't see that in the summer when we have more down time, those families are still getting the books out each day.

This is us too. My biggest challenge has been our homeschool group isn't quite what we'd like it to be (we moved from an awesome HS group a few years ago).

I'd say burnout, too.

I've only been doing this for 2 years.  Part of me is like, 'wow, am I really that much of a lightweight??  I'm tired of this after TWO YEARS?!'  

I'm having some difficulty making myself feel any excitement for the coming year.  I'm starting to plan now because I have to, and there is a small part of me that likes looking ahead and seeing what we'll be doing, but overall I'm just like... Meh... :glare:

In a way, I'd love to send the kids back to school.  But at the same time, our system is not up to par academically (at all).  Plus there were the things I loved about taking them out of school in the first place - the amount of time they were away from home + the time spent on work after school left no time for them to just be kids and play outside and stuff.  And there are all the things that I'm happy that they'll have the chance to learn at home (which they wouldn't in a brick & mortar school).  

But still, overall i'm just not feeling it right now.  Sigh...

1. MY self discipline. To get up early, to go to bed early, to not get distracted by overkilling the house work, or reading, or internet or shopping etc. Basically, to keep everyone and everything moving consistently in the right direction.

2. To give enough time to each student. I have several that still require a lot of one on one instruction. Meanwhile I feel like my independent learners could just be coasting a bit, not reaching their full potential because I can't be there supervising as much as I would like. I wish I had more time to be 'inspirational' rather than just 'instructional'.

3. Lack of friends for my teenage daughter is becoming an issue. Will she grow to resent homeschooling because of this!? I hope not! We are searching for solutions that work for the whole family.

4. Lack of academic activities for teens in the homeschooling community here. I would like some science labs and a debate group but it seems like most teens here are unschooled and those who don't, have been homeschooled intensively and are very advanced. Not enough teens homeschooling here to find the middle ground for us.

Patience and pacing myself. 

I start every day like gangbusters. Chores! Hot breakfast from scratch! Clean up! Schoolwork! Dishes! Laundry! Uh, lunch...leftovers or something. Clean up again. Sigh. Ugh, everybody, just go outside. Don't touch me. Mommy needs some quiet. Ugh, do I have to make dinner again? Wah. 

Deciding between doing school and getting stuff done around the house. I can't seem to be able to do both :( School suffered last year, but I can't work in a mess. The mess never seemed to go away, despite spending a lot of time organizing it. I have young kids and a toddler though... I want to dream that it'll stop as they get older but it's probably just wishful thinking. Plus, I feel such pull between my school kids and the littles, I always feel like someone is ignored. When the littles are actually occupied, it means they are destroying something *sigh* It takes me longer to fix what they destroyed than the time gained from them being occupied.

Winter always hits me hard.  Keeping focused and somehow finding the will to encourage them when I want to fly somewhere with a beach.

High school has been the most difficult; it feels like all their piers are in a traditional school setting now. 

Overcoming self medication via curricula purchasing. Seriously. Have a problem? Try X curriculum, sure to alleviate any issue! ;)

Truly though, I recognize it add a problem now so I am on my way to recovery.

Who knew that simply buying curriculum isn't the same thing as sitting down and DOING something proactively???

Thank you for saying this, it is so encouraging to me.  I feel like such  freak some days and to read that there are others out there who feel the same way makes me very relieved.  Some mornings, there's not enough prayer and tea to get me through lessons.

Sometimes I think I'd be great as a fifties housewife. By which I mean, I'd be a better mother if I could pop valium all day.

For me it is the pressure to keep dh happy with homeschooling. He is just ok w/ homeschooling. His first choice would be our nice little public school in the district he grew up in. So I feel a lot of pressure to keep the house clean, make good meals, get enough hours at me work, and educate the girls well. I also don't feel like I can express frustration etc. w/ schooling, or he may say well we will enroll them in school them. I can't say well schooling is my full time job so the house etc might slide a little. I have to keep all the balls in the air, because homeschooling is top on my priority list, but last on dh's

I'm not sure how old your girls are, but as homeschooling begins to really shine in your girls youmight find he becomes a huge advocate. My husband want even really okay with homeschooling... It was only because of the district we were in. That was twelve years ago. Last year was hard for me and I had a child I really wanted in school. My husband's advocacy was the only thing that kept him out and me continuing. I could have easily written you're post ten years ago and you areSO RIGHT! It is so hard to feel like you can't have a hard day, butas an encouragement, we really grew to be cohesive and agree! It took a while but I can honestly say DH is an active advocate of homeschooling. I hour that encourages you!

Overcoming self medication via curricula purchasing. Seriously. Have a problem? Try X curriculum, sure to alleviate any issue! ;)

Truly though, I recognize it add a problem now so I am on my way to recovery.

Who knew that simply buying curriculum isn't the same thing as sitting down and DOING something proactively???

That was one of my biggest issues this past year.  Curric hopping put us so far behind in some areas that it was a real struggle to get done with everything. BUT on the bright side of that, we've learned what works best for DS and I feel better about trusting my instincts when I can't decide what to choose.

At this moment it is a fussy baby who refuses to nap. I am contantly exercising patience to not break down crying in the frustration of trying to make her happy while teaching ds and make sure dd1 and dd2 are happy and entertaining themselves while ds works.