Menu

Diagnose me. Be nice.

What is this called, if it's called anything?

Ever since I can remember, I have been wiggly at church or in meetings. It used to drive my mother crazy, how I would fidget in that pew. Now, as an adult, I still have a hard time sitting through the length of a typical meeting. At one church, I told the pastor, "Your sermons are so interesting, I'm going to bring in some handiwork so I can pay attention." He completely understood this. If I have something to do, I can pay attention. Otherwise, I tune out and start counting how many light bulbs need to be replaced, or how many letter e's are in the bulletin. I would count the number of times the pastor used the word "literally" in his sermon (record = 47) or the number of times the person in front of me cracked his neck (record = 28) or the number of times another pastor adjusted his glasses (record = 60).

I can't focus on a conversation if too many people are talking at once or if there is too much background noise, especially if the various components are not part of a cohesive whole. For example, if Person A is playing an instrument in one room, Persons B and C are playing Chinese checkers in another room, the fan is blowing, water is running in the kitchen sink -- What was I saying? Where was I? Complete train wreck there, every time. Large parties are torture.

I can't take tests in rooms with ticking clocks or tapping testers. I can't study with music.

I can't stand the sound of change jingling in pockets.

I can't stand it when someone repeatedly and absentmindedly crinkles paper for no good reason. Why? Why?

I can't follow verbal directions to locations. I have to have a map, or I will end up in Philadelphia.

I have a hard time doing math in my head.

What is this?

Auditory processing issues.  Mild ADHD.  Simple quirks.  Whatever it is, you've figured out what you need to do to manage it.  It's all good. 

As for "doing" at church, I'm quite sure some of the ushers at our church have fallen into that role so that they can pay attention. No one is bothered by an usher standing or walking around at the back of the church during the sermon! 

Oh, I come from an an ENTIRE household of people with these issues!   :sneaky2:   The other day, we were driving and I heard this overwhelming swooshing noise that sounded like static from a radio, but it was so loud that it was upsetting me.  I kept asking the kids, "What's that noise?!" and frantically trying to turn the radio off, because I thought the radio was freaking out.  Turns out I was hearing the air conditioning coming from the vent in the back seat.  After I realized that's what it was, it's like it wasn't loud anymore.

My son insists that our family has Spiderman's senses - like super heroes.  It's not sensory issues...it's Spidey Sense.   :tongue_smilie: 

Do your kids have sensory issues, too?  

We keep our household very serene and quiet, BTW.  We don't even have cable.  That helps.  The sound of the TV can cause me to have a near-nervous breakdown.

I don't know if it's considered anything, but it sounds exactly like me.  And Evanthe's post, too.  Seriously, I could have written that one.  :)  Our house stays pretty quiet also.  I truly think I would be in an insane asylum right now if I had more than one kid.  I just can. not. stand. noise.

Oh, I come from an an ENTIRE household of people with these issues!   :sneaky2:   The other day, we were driving and I heard this overwhelming swooshing noise that sounded like static from a radio, but it was so loud that it was upsetting me.  I kept asking the kids, "What's that noise?!" and frantically trying to turn the radio off, because I thought the radio was freaking out.  Turns out I was hearing the air conditioning coming from the vent in the back seat.  After I realized that's what it was, it's like it wasn't loud anymore.

My son insists that our family has Spiderman's senses - like super heroes.  It's not sensory issues...it's Spidey Sense.   :tongue_smilie:

Do your kids have sensory issues, too?  

We keep our household very serene and quiet, BTW.  We don't even have cable.  That helps.  The sound of the TV can cause me to have a near-nervous breakdown.

Oh, so it's not only me, LOL. We have no television. In all my adult life, I've never had a television. It is so much needless noise. If my husband plays his background music a bit "too long," I either need to go somewhere else or he'll turn it off, poor thing. It could be the most relaxing music around, but if I have to listen more than 20-30 minutes at a time, my nerves come unraveled. It's weird, I know.

It's interesting that you say your house is serene, because that is exactly the word other people have used to describe our home and way of life. Not that we never get loud and rowdy, we do, but the normal tone here is relaxed and quiet. I think my oldest daughter needs lots of quiet, serene times. Not sure yet about my twins, they're only six.

Also, I do battle against clutter (especially visual clutter), because seeing "too much" at once will kind of make me go :blink:. If it's in a cabinet or closet or drawer, out of sight, then it doesn't lead to input overload, but too much out at once feels like too many things for my brain to have to notice. KWIM? 

I have never been able to sit still for anything. I always bring hard candies to suck on and something for my hands to do in church or I can't focus. I avoid large groups as much as possible as I can't follow one conversation when I can hear three others happening and I can't listen to someone fully if I can hear activity happening somewhere else. I can force it enough that I can listen to other moms and make small talk when necessary, but not for long.

No tv happening in our house during the week as it would drive me batty hearing the noise from it. The kids spend a large amount of their time outside as well since the noise from them is easier for me to deal with out there.

Another vote for sensory issues, i.e., general central nervous system issues (not sitting still - which there can be more than one sensory reason for - and noise sensitivity) though it doesn't necessarily sound like it rises to the level of a disorder - what you describe seems pretty common, IMO.  Auditory processing could be another branch of the sensory issues.  Overall, auditory processing issues sound like they're more significant than the movement thing though these things can sometimes be related to a root central nervous system cause.

preferring maps to auditory directions - typically a visual-spatial thing though the preference could also simply be due to having auditory weaknesses

I agree with PPs - it sounds like sensory issues, but ones that you've learned how to adapt to in order to function as "normal" - and I put the word normal in quotes as I don't think there is such a thing as a true normal and most everyone lands in a wide range of "functioning".

I also think you may primarily be a kinesthetic learner - you need to be doing something in order to focus on something else.  I have two kids like this - they need to be moving (or fidgeting!) in order to listen.  How are you with math processing when bouncing a ball, or when using pen and paper?  Kinesthetic learners do better with manipulative - like using a map for directions, or handiwork for paying attention to a sermon.    Auditory and visual stimulation can sometimes be a distraction to kinesthetic learners.   I'm a visual learner, but I CANNOT have music playing when I am trying to read or teach something.  It just gets into my head and keeps interrupting my thought process.  So I understand completely.

If you feel that these issues ever interfere with your ability to handle daily situations, then I'd recommend an OT evaluation.  But honestly, it sounds like you're doing just fine.  You know your limits and how to go about your life.  It may not be the same for everyone else, but who is to say that what they have is normal anyhow? We're all members of the Quirky Club for one reason or another!

I don't think you are diagnosable.  :)

However, I will get on board with you on the "can't sit still" issue.  I also mess with my hair constantly.  I am not happy unless it is not touching my face in any way, so it has to be in a pony tail, only this is not my best look so I end up with it down and messing with it constantly. 

When I was doing therapy, I had to be very conscious and purposeful about restricting my movements in sessions with clients.  I have an old video of me in grad school doing play therapy with a child in which I messed with/touched/rearranged my hair an embarrassing number of times.  That was the greatest value of the video as a learning experience.  Hands off the hair!

The auditory stuff seems kind of sensory processing-ish.  Counting is a bit OCD-ish if you feel compelled to do it or that you cannot stop.

But, I'm sorry to say that you fall in the norm.  :D

I can't follow verbal directions to locations. I have to have a map, or I will end up in Philadelphia.

I have a hard time doing math in my head.

BTW, these are both me.  The other day I asked for an address so I could GPS it, and my officemate at work insisted on giving me verbal directions, which sounded exactly like the teacher on Charlie Brown to me for all the sense they made.  She argued with me that I should know this because it is easy.  Sorry, I do not process directions verbally or in my head.  I must see them.  And even if I have been somewhere 100 times, if I have not been there recently, I will not make it back.

Also, I could never do math in my head prior to teaching my kids with Singapore.  I am so much better at mental math now.  I recall drawing imaginary math in the air with my finger when I was a kid.  It was the only way I could "visualize" it without writing it on paper.

Maybe we are the same person.  :D

I don't have your same issues, but it's not until I had kids that I realized some of the sensory issues I have. For me, they're just quirks, no disorder. One of my kids has similar sensory issues, but more pronounced, and I've been able to better understand some things with him because I have that same sensory issue.

On listening to sermons, I'm not kinesthetic, but I do find that I'm better able to pay attention if I take notes. Of course, during the baby/toddler years, I was unable to do that. Now that my youngest is 4, it's a bit easier to take notes again. I tend to remember things better if I write them down.