Menu

How do I know if I can't take weight off due to slowing metabolism (age 44) or if it's thyroid? What tests to take, etc.

HappyGrace

For the last year it is like I literally ran into a wall with my metabolism! Always had a nice high metabolism, could eat literally whatever I wanted. It was slowing down in my earlier 40's, but slowly.

Is it normal to have metabolism slow down dramatically and quickly in mid-40s, or should I be looking into thyroid? And where do I start with that-what tests to ask for, etc.? Are there natural ways to help if it is thyroid-something I could start to try even before (or instead of) getting tested? I would hate to go on meds :( Are the meds terrible? I tend to get tons of side effects with medications.

thanks for any help!

It couldn't hurt to start with a complete thyroid test, which includes not just TSH (thyroid synthesizing hormone) but also T3 and T4 (I forget what those stand for, lol). My TSH usually is in the normal range; it's my T3 and T4 that are not. Doctors won't necessarily order T3 and T4 unless you whine and complain until they get tired of it. ::glares::

Check out Stop the Thyroid Madness.

YES!! Ellie-this is exactly what I meant.

I don't trust doctors much and usually try to research all I can so I can go in and be very knowledgeable about what I *actually* need and not just like a sheep with no clue.

(not that I disrespect doctors; I just like to learn all I can so I can make wise choices about my treatment)

Just about any general practitioner will let your tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone) be drawn if you go in and ask. Symptoms vary so much with different people. The medication is hormone replacement, usually a synthetically made that is (so they say) molecularly identical to what your body would make. The only side effects are if you are taking too much or too little. If you are hypothyroid, make sure they start you on a lower dose and work up to what you need. Starting too high makes you feel worse (trust me, I was there - hyperthyroid is MUCH worse.) You can try to boost your thyroid on your own by eating better, lots of essential fattyacids (nuts, oils) and protein as well as making sure you are getting enough iodine. Of course, watch your stress and get enough sleep (is this possible?!?) If your thyroid isn't the problem, it may be just slowing metabolism. 30 seems to be my slow-down. I thought I could eat whatever I wanted forever and it'd never catch up to me! It did!

Countrygal-you read my mind-lol-I am googling around right now about how to naturally help my thyroid as much as I can! Excellent tip about starting lower, thanks. Do most people not do the "natural" thyroid replacement then (Armour, etc)? I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

So if the levels are all ok, could it *still* possibly be thyroid, or is the testing pretty accurate? (if you get the full test like Ellie mentioned).

I have been taking hypothyroid meds for 12 years now. They are little tiny pills. I take one every morning. I don't notice any difference between taking them and not taking them...and I just realized I forgot to take it this morning! I check my thyroid every year and my prescription hasn't changed in about 10 years. Mine was a post-partum thyroid - basically I think pregnancy blew out my thyroid function. I understand that is fairly common. Good luck!

I don't know if it's normal, but it sure happened to me. I am on a very low dose of thyroid meds, and that helps tremendously with my memory, but it doesn't help with the weight. I have pretty much always been thin, but it started inching up to where I had gained about 10 pounds a number of years ago and would not go down no matter what I did. I have had to struggle mightily to lose it. I am currently at the same weight I was in high school, but at the upper range and with a lot less muscle mass, I feel a lot heavier. The main thing that makes a difference for me is lifting weights. I noticed a big shift in my muscle mass a few years ago and when I lift weights, I can lose and more easily maintain if I eat a 1200 calorie diet and limit my carbs. Recently, I have found that if I go down to 900 calories and work out 40 minutes on my elliptical 3 or 4 days a week, I can lose as well. I will not lose weight just using the elliptical and eating 1200 calories. I know there are people who will say that is crazy, but I am a fairly small person and I always maintained my weight throughout my 20s and 30s by eating 1200 calories during the week and then treating myself some on the weekends or special occasions. It only makes sense that I might have to lower that intake a bit now that I am older in order to get the same results. I prefer the weight training than the lower calorie diet, but I have major back problems and keep injuring myself at the gym when I use weights. Curves was great for me because it uses resistance, which worked as well as weights, and I never got hurt using their equipment, but all the ones in my area went out of business. I had read something about weight/resistance training releasing a certain hormone that was tied to weight loss, so I'm not sure it's entirely a muscle mass thing. I think it could have something to do with the hormone in my case.

My doctor has finally agreed to do a TSH test, but says the lab will only do the T4 test if the TSH is abnormal.

Should I be arguing to get the T4 done even if the TSH is normal?

I've got some possible symptoms, but I had these symptoms 3 years ago when my TSH came back normal (and they didn't test the T4, because the TSH was normal). So I expect the TSH will still be in the normal range and they won't test the T4.

So far, the only site I've found that advocates testing T3 and T4 even with normal TSH levels is the mercola site. That's not one my doctor is going to be convinced by. Is there any other info out there?

I've had my thyroid checked numerous times to see if it were to blame for infertility, weight gain, etc. No. Sorry. I'm 45 and in my 20's and 30's a quick 6 months or so at Weight Watchers would get rid of those pesky 10 lbs. quite easily. Now, they're staying. I'll try South Beach, I'll try the old fashioned way, just counting calories and exercise for a couple of weeks and I can't even shed a pound, so I get discouraged and give up. I do need to schedule a dr. appt. These peri-menopause symptoms are driving me crazy, especially the monthly yeast infections I've started getting. Woohoo, the joys of aging.

I've had my thyroid checked numerous times to see if it were to blame for infertility, weight gain, etc. No. Sorry. I'm 45 and in my 20's and 30's a quick 6 months or so at Weight Watchers would get rid of those pesky 10 lbs. quite easily. Now, they're staying. I'll try South Beach, I'll try the old fashioned way, just counting calories and exercise for a couple of weeks and I can't even shed a pound, so I get discouraged and give up. I do need to schedule a dr. appt. These peri-menopause symptoms are driving me crazy, especially the monthly yeast infections I've started getting. Woohoo, the joys of aging.

Me too (except for the infertility issues; I am sorry you are dealing with those)

Countrygal-you read my mind-lol-I am googling around right now about how to naturally help my thyroid as much as I can! Excellent tip about starting lower, thanks. Do most people not do the "natural" thyroid replacement then (Armour, etc)? I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

So if the levels are all ok, could it *still* possibly be thyroid, or is the testing pretty accurate? (if you get the full test like Ellie mentioned).

Sorry, my enter key won't work. I believe the Armour contains both t3 and t4, whereas the synthetic levothyroxine only contains one (I think t3) and then your body converts what it needs over to t4. I think it's not used as much because you might get more than your body needs of the t4 and can cause some overdose symptoms (anxiety, for example.) That's just what I read on the internet so take it for what it's worth! There are people who say it works better and everyone is different. I feel great when my dose is right on the levothyroxine so I haven't really looked more into the Armour, nor have I asked my endo about it. This nutritionist, www.karenhurd.com , had 95% of her thyroid removed when she was a teenager (she's now around 50 I believe) and she hasn't taken levothyroxine for 15 years-ish and she has a normal tsh with only 5% of her thyroid. She eats only meat, beans, vegetables, and nuts/seeds. So it is possible to 'cure' yourself! However, I haven't been that diligent :) She concentrates on reducing endocrine stress (no sugar or caffeine.)

Thanks, Countrygal-as I was googling there was a lady who claimed to cure hers by going vegan. It does seem it would be possible to help it, at least, if you tried to make your body more alkaline, since it may be tied to an autoimmune response. Thanks for the further info!

Pastel-you are totally correct-it's because more muscle mass increases metabolism. I do think your calories seem really low-try to read this book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women-it talks about the muscle mass stuff, etc., but MAINLY it shows that when your calories are too low your body goes into "starvation mode" and it's really hard to lose. The book is excellent and proves much of what I found to be true back when I lifted weights and worked out more. I would actually lose MORE weight if I *increased* calories but ate smaller meals 6 times/day (3 meals/2 snacks-all clean food with quality protein at each meal), while working out (lifting heavy 3 days/wk, cardio 2 days). The author mentions (I think on his website) that it would seem counterintuitive, but his wife at 1300 calories couldn't lose but she went up to 1700 and started to lose. (ALONG with exercise, of course!) Also lifting weights as you get older is crucial to prevent bone loss.

I'm reading the book for inspiration because I want to get back to that lifestyle.

I'll try the old fashioned way, just counting calories and exercise for a couple of weeks and I can't even shed a pound, so I get discouraged and give up...... Woohoo, the joys of aging.

This is me :(

Actually, I try for a few days and give up.

I need to get back into the whole lifestyle (like I outlined above). But if it's the thyroid, it still may not help!

Sounds like I need to get it tested-I hope they will not fight me on getting the t3 and t4 tested too!