Menu

What does your trancript look like?

Dd is beginning her senior year on Monday, July 1st and this momma is a little freaked out. She is our oldest, so this is a new experience for us, and this whole transcript thing is stressing me out. Long story short, life has been very stressful the last couple years, so I've been doing good just to keep a list of classes she has taken. Now, I need to put all of those classes into transcript form and I'm not sure how to do it. I'm sure I'm probably making it harder than it is, but I would really love it if some of you would share with me what your transcript's look like. Dd is planning on going off to college next year, so other than the classes she has taken, what do colleges like to see on a transcript? Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice you can offer.

Welcome to the part of homeschooling high school where you wear the administrator/counselor hat! :hat:

There are sample transcripts at several homeschooling websites:

Home Scholar (also free video tutorials and short articles with info about records colleges want from homeschoolers)

Donna Young (also lists the kinds of information colleges want to see on a transcript)

HSLDA

Also, Any of you willing to share a copy of your child's transcript? is a past thread where people shared sample transcripts.

And check out the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading, Accreditation, College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid -- past threads linked here! It is a mega-compilation of past threads on not only transcripts and record keeping, but on applying for college, financial aid, and other helpful topics.

Good luck in your role as homeschool high school administrator and counselor! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I used the form at Covenant College, slightly tweaked. I attached a booklist, since we did Great Books study for the four years and we needed something more impressive. I did not include course descriptions. I used a simple, 4 point grading scale, and made sure to read the college's requirements.

Katie, I was in your position last year at this time. I'd known from the beginning that I needed to work on a transcript, and I finally did--in August!

My single most encouraging, best, favorite, biggest resource was Lee Binz's Setting the Records Straight. I went back through dd's schedules for the previous three years. Along with the transcript, I wrote a one-paged curriculum description for each course, using a combination of Lee's samples, the curriculum provider's blurbs, my own wording, and examples found here on the boards.

I'm also privately sending you a copy of dd's transcript, just for another example.

It was intimidating; the college app process was intimidating. Dd did most of it on her own, with me just proofreading her essays. Some students will need a lot more handholding, some will need none. She did early admission and ended up with three acceptances out of four colleges. (And if she's shown any interest in the fourth, she'd have been accepted there too.)

You CAN do this!!!

Hslda has several samples online. They have some in .doc format that you can modify to fit your course titles and personal info.

I'm doing one in Word using an hslda sample as a rough guide I'm using columns and tables to line things up the way I want them.

I used HSLDA, too. Made it very easy. They also have various explanations about calculating GPA and things like that.

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/academics.asp#transcripts

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I'm off to check out the links and samples you have shared...I can't believe I missed the sticky thread at the top of this forum...I guess there's just too much going on here right now (starting school Monday/sell our house/buying new house/moving/and trying to fit in a little bit of summer fun, too...).

Thanks so much!!

There are 2 yahoo groups that have diverse files sections. homeschool2college and hs2coll

They give very good examples of different class descriptions as well, as those are needed too, not just a transcript (unless you call that a transcript, as well)

Good luck!

They give very good examples of different class descriptions as well, as those are needed too, not just a transcript (unless you call that a transcript, as well)

Just for clarification, it's been my experience that course descriptions are not needed across the board. Certain schools might request it. I also recall reading of one school on here that would not accept any additional material, beyond what it called for in the application--and including any such information would nullify your application. It was bizarre, but I even found that to be true from their website.

I called one of the schools to which dd was applying. Their response was, "We'll take anything you send us to show your student in the best light possible, whether you are homeschooled or not." We opted to send course descriptions.

If you PM me with your email address, I would be glad to share our transcript form. It is in MS Word, and it is my take on a combination of quite a few different transcript formats. To document our great books study, I split it officially into history and literature courses: Ancient History and Ancient Literature, Medieval History and Medieval Literature, Early Modern History and Early Modern Literature, and Modern History and Modern Literature. The course descriptions explain how the two courses work together. I do have a course description form, which I also use to record grades, but you might not want to get into that kind of detail.