Menu

So when something 3rd party from Amazon doesn't show up - what should I do?

UGH.

Despite swearing to NEVER order from them again via Amazon's used books, I ordered from Better World Books.

It was due to arrive by today - and didn't. I ordered on the 2nd, they say they shipped it on the 4th. They swear they don't have tracking - but their packages always show up with tracking numbers (one of which I checked and they did NOT ship it the day they said they did but almost 2 days later).

I've had *many* Media Mail and DHL->USPS packages over the last couple of months - and all have arrived within 10 days. The only one that was close to being late was the other one from BWB - it was due to arrive on a Monday and showed up on the Friday or Saturday before.

Obviously I realize that the post office is the issue - but I've never had anything not show up via Amazon, and so I sit here wondering.... do I give it a few more days or what? I have no idea what location it shipped from - can I find that in the listing? I will go look.

Anyway, I'm irked. I want my book! (AND, i have another book I ordered last week from them "out there".... :banghead: )

I haven't yet - I was waiting to hear back from BWB via their messaging system. Which was the standard, "thanks for contacting us, but we don't have tracking and we know nothing!" response.

OK, i'm going to be "rational" ( :lol: ), if it doesn't show up in tomorrows mail.... i'll call Amazon. :D

If it's past the estimated delivery date that Amazon gives you (which is usually ~3 weeks from the date of the order), then you can file a claim with Amazon. Just go to your Orders page and click File Claim. It's very quick and easy, and Amazon has always refunded my money within a couple of days. (I've never had a seller dispute my claim, but Amazon seems to support the buyer, as the default, anyway.)

Jackie

I have just ordered lots of books off Amazon this month (like 34!), some new, but most used. I had a problem with two used book orders. One came smelling like moth balls and the other book did not come. Both sellers gave me an instant refund with no problems. I just asked for a refund. HTH.

If they say they don't have tracking I don't see why they would being lying about it. The post office puts tracking stickers on all the packages I have ever mailed out even if I don't purchase tracking. They just don't give me the tracking info since I didn't pay for it.

Contact BWB and ask for a full refund since you have not received your purchase in time and tell them you will file a claim if a full refund is not issued. See what their reply is. They may give it to you and then you don't have to worry about it. If they don't then file a claim with amazon. they are great at siding with the buyer, especially if the seller did not purchase tracking.

If the ridiculously long shipping window has closed, then just message BWB and let them know you didn't get it. Chances are they'll issue an immediate refund or resend another book without much/any hassle.

I *think* BWB is actually a drop shipper, so when you order from them, they turn around and order from someone else and have it shipped to you, hence the not necessarily speedy shipping.

I agree that you should file with Amazon as soon as you have reached the first day after the due date Amazon gives. They give a ridiculously long window the only thing that takes that long to get to me are things that don't get shipped quickly.

When I contacted BWB today they said I had to give it a few more days - no mention of a refund or anything.

I actually won't be here tomorrow to stalk the mail lady, so it will be easy to wait..... Unless I get an email back tomorrow from them that irks me! LOL!!

They have for sure been the slowest of anyone I have dealt with, I was hesitant to jump into the used book bandwagon, but it has gone well. Everything has been as stated, nothing smelly, and decent shipping except from them....

As for the tracking, the label with the tracking number is printed with my address, it isn't being added at the PO. They ship media mail via DHL handoff. DHL in Orlando can suck apparently (covered this in another thread last month! LOL!), but my RR stuff that came that way made it in a week - I swear BWB is paying for "extra slow" service.

I just have never had to file a claim or anything and wasn't sure if I should jump on the date, or flex a bit more.

Thanks!!

I've ordered a LOT of books from BWB. You do have to be patient with the shipping--it takes forever. But hey free. When we've gotten books that weren't as described (scribbled on, stickers on the cover of a board book, etc), they sent replacements and told us to keep them all. They have really excellent service making things right. But the shipping is very slow.

I've also had stuff not show (well, a ripped open empty mailer showed) from a marketplace seller on amazon and they refunded me right away.

It didn't show up again today - but hey, I got my RR catalog!!!!! :D

Anyway, I am unable to start the process for filing a claim - it is a grayed out. So I called, and Adam at Amazon sent them an email reminding them that tracking is REQUIRED and they need to provide it to me. I thought that was interesting!

He said the window for the claim starts the 3rd business day after the window closes, so that is Thursday.

BWB did not answer my last email to them either.....

I can't imagine beginning a claim process so soon after the expected arrival date, but then I'm in Australia and dealing with international shipping. :) Honestly I don't even know the exact expected date, I just keep a list of things I've ordered and if something hasn't shown up after awhile I look up the dates. I usually give several weeks extra in the hopes that something will turn up before I start the claim process. Sometimes it does turn up. Once I started a claim sooner than that, the bookseller sent me another copy and then the first one turned up. Oops! Recently had to file a claim on an OOP and hard to find book, sigh, I gave it a whole extra month but it never turned up.

Wondering if you would have had better luck ordering directly through BWB? Usually their third party books are also on their site (at least that's true of abebooks- if it is from BWB it will also be listed on the BWB site). I've always had great customer service from BWB.

I honestly wouldn't file it so soon - but they were pretty blasĂƒÂ© in their response to my request for any tracking info. Enough that the Amazon rep wasn't pleased either, he said my email was exactly what he would have asked them for too. And I still find it interesting that he says they REQUIRE tracking on packages, hence they are supposed to be able to provide it to me. Not having sold on Amazon I have no experience with that aspect.

But it's been 3 weeks - and that is a long time for domestic stuff for the type of shipping they used (um, not that I know this because I have gotten a lot that way recently.... LOL!).

As for ordering from them direct - nope, just not going to happen at this time! And they would ship the same way - and whatever they do for shipping thru Orlando seems to not go well.

It didn't show up again today - but hey, I got my RR catalog!!!!! :D

Anyway, I am unable to start the process for filing a claim - it is a grayed out. So I called, and Adam at Amazon sent them an email reminding them that tracking is REQUIRED and they need to provide it to me. I thought that was interesting!

He said the window for the claim starts the 3rd business day after the window closes, so that is Thursday.

BWB did not answer my last email to them either.....

Tracey: Very interesting that Adam of Amazon told you Tracking is required... Last September, when I ordered textbooks for DD, we also needed a paperback novel, for her English course, first semester. I ordered from a company in MN. They shipped via USPS, without tracking, and were testy about it. When I contacted them, they claimed that their experience, and this may be true, was that no higher percentage of books they ship without tracking are lost than if they paid for tracking. That may be true, but now I send a message, via the Amazon messaging system, to the seller, asking if they provide tracking that is instantly available on the Amazon web site, after they ship, before I make the purchase... I want tracking!

That BWB did not answer your last email would bother me, a lot, and I will eliminate them from consideration in the future.

Follow on: We are going to buy a Microscope for DD. The low cost seller, promoted by Amazon, stated "Fulfillment by Amazon". I contacted them, with several questions, since this is a delicate instrument. They replied that since the Fulfillment is by Amazon, they had no idea about the answers to any of my questions. So, for a book, I would be OK with Fulfillment by Amazon, but not with something delicate.

Then, I contacted Amazon, because they also sell this microscope. They replied that everything is Automatic and they could not answer any of my questions... Eliminated...

We will pay a little more, and order from Beach Camera, an Amazon Seller who does their own shipping. They answered my 4 pre sale questions, in 15 or 20 minutes.. $5.96 more is well worth it, to my wife and me, knowing where they will ship from, how they will ship, etc. We also need to pay 29% Colombian taxes (VAT and Import Duty, etc.), on that extra $5.96, but, again, it is well worth it to us, to have had our pre sale questions answered and with courtesy.

Tracey: Very interesting that Adam of Amazon told you Tracking is required... Last September, when I ordered textbooks for DD, we also needed a paperback novel, for her English course, first semester. I ordered from a company in MN. They shipped via USPS, without tracking, and were testy about it. When I contacted them, they claimed that their experience, and this may be true, was that no higher percentage of books they ship without tracking are lost than if they paid for tracking. That may be true, but now I send a message, via the Amazon messaging system, to the seller, asking if they provide tracking that is instantly available on the Amazon web site, after they ship, before I make the purchase... I want tracking!

That BWB did not answer your last email would bother me, a lot, and I will eliminate them from consideration in the future.

I was surprised to hear him say that on the tracking too - but he repeated it multiple times, "tracking is a requirement". I can see a company chancing it - but I also can't imagine Amazon being happy if someone is violating their rules/agreement. If anyone reading sells thru them - can you verify if tracking is part of the requirements?

Hmmm, I never thought to ask if they do tracking - I just checked and I have 6 orders on my order page from 3rd party used sellers. None of them have tracking listed, 3 have arrived, 1 is "lost" so far, and 2 I didn't order until this past weekend.

I know we talked before in another thread on the DHL issues, and I can say that while they aren't fast, I have only had issues like this with them when it is BWB shipping! Go figure! But I have had a number of things ship DHL->USPS show up in 5 days - Monday to Friday.

There is no response to the email yet, just the automated "we got it, we will have a human read it soon" one.

Hopefully, it will show up or BWB will refund your money and quickly. Yes, I was not a "Happy Camper", when i found the Art textbook was shipped via DHL GlobalMail, but it did eventually get delivered to our Forwarder in Miami by the USPS and was in Super condition (New?), so in the end I am OK with that Seller in Reno, NV. But, I will avoid BWB. There is no reason for a company that big not to be answering the messages you send to them via the Amazon Messaging system. I will always try now, to remember to ask about Tracking, in a pre sale message, before I place an order, with any company.

Yes, I am also very curious about what Adam told you about Amazon requires Tracking. I wonder if that applied to the paperback novel we bought for DD from a Seller in MN last September. They were very testy about it and I won't order from them again.

So far, I would be happy to purchase from all of the Amazon Sellers we have purchased New or Used Textbooks from.

The only book I can recall having trouble with in the last couple years was sold by another party on the BWB site. The wrong book arrived, and I would have needed to pay more to ship it back than I paid for the book originally. They basically told me I was out of luck because it was a third party on their site, and that was all they could do for me. I was unimpressed.

Yes, it always risky IMHO, and I say that as a 3rd party seller myself. I had a book last month that I bought tracking for that disappeared when it was "out for delivery." Oh well. Full refund, but it was cheapie.

I've ordered about 25 books in the last few weeks, some for my work and some for the DC. One was never shipped, and still says "shipping now" two weeks later. Thankfully Amazon had that on Prime for just a few dollars more, so I ordered another. I contacted the seller to cancel, but no response. So I'll have to ping Amazon once it hits the far side of the arrival window. At least the card was never charged. Another "very good" book arrived extremely faded, full of writing, and literally crumbling. I contacted them asking for a full refund, and they sent it. And I still have two books out there that haven't arrive yet. So over 20 books arrive safely, two had problems, and two are still TBD. Pretty typical.

Soooooo.....

Here is what Amazon sent them:

Details: The item has not arrived as scheduled. It has passed the estimated delivery date. There is no tracking information provided for this order which is required. Please send a status update to the customer.

Here is their reply this morning:

Thank you for your email. As we ship in bulk our arrangements with the USPS do not include tracking on standard shipments. The number you see is a DHL order confirmation number which shows when the parcel is delivered to your local post office. If you have any additional questions, please be sure to let us know. Wishing you a wonderful day!

OHHHHH, wait, that is a reply to MY reply on MONDAY.

They haven't responded to the Amazon one yet.

Which is interesting because see, she told me there is no tracking, but then Amazon reminded them it is required..... Oh and she isn't saying that the package was delivered to my local post office either. I responded with the http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/ that let them track their packages..... LOL!

ETA: I should add, rolling over and just waiting longer is something we just covered in my "Customer Service" class 2 weeks ago. That customers are apt to just accept it and all that.... in this case, BWB could have worded their various emails to me in a manner that reflected a bit better on them, which would make me more sympathic to their end of the deal. They didn't. They didn't offer up that confirmation number, they didn't say "Hey, we cannot get to that number or we would give it to you". Just an attitude of, "we shipped it, deal"

Great that you have Amazon in the loop now and what they wrote about the tracking being required. When I discovered that Sierra Nevada Books in Reno had sent the Art textbook via DHL GlobalMail and there was no Tracking, I was not a happy camper. Two or 3 days after it was shipped, they were able to give me the DHL Tracking number and I was able to watch the drunken route the book took, from Reno, NV to Miami, FL On that one, I believe there was possibly no Tracking on it, until it went from Reno to the San Jose area, and was received in the DHL facility there and into the DHL Tracking system.

I couldn't read what you pasted in that they replied to Amazon (the letters are tiny), but you said it is their reply to your message, not Amazons message.

Yes, wearing the customer down is a common approach. We get that from Directv Colombia and I mentioned that, in my FAX to the President/CEO/Chairman of Directv, he is in California, a few weeks ago...

You can thank your lucky stars that you bought this via Amazon and not directly from BWB. Amazon will help you and you will get the book or your money. Had you purchased directly from BWB, probably you would be out_of_luck...

Hopefully, the book will show up or you will get your $. GL

Sorry - it wouldn't let me edit it to enlarge the font after I pasted it. It was bringing up the "spam bot" verification thing for some reason... yet that page wouldn't load. I just fixed it!

Still no response to the Amazon message, but I had another response to the same message, with the same basic response. "So sorry, nothing we can do!".

I have to go mail a box at the post office myself right now.... UGH.

You are not alone. Apparently, this is SOP for BWB. I got curious, and I started searching, for textbooks DD will need for the next school year, on Amazon USA. With the 3rd textbook, I found one that was for sale by BWB. Then, I clicked to see their latest feedbacks. This was one of them:

"1 out of 5:

I have not received the book. The book was shipped regular mail with no tracking number."

I will avoid BWB...

ETA: This could be your feedback... I've gotten the Spam bot Captcha verification 2 or 3 times on WTM. Once, I expected to get it (long reply), but didn't...

I haven't left feedback yet..... I'll have to go poke around some, interesting that others are having issues too....

And, it was a no show in the mail again today.

ETA:

Interesting to read the feedback from today that the items are a no show - and someone said that they were contacted by someone in another STATE that had gotten their book. I'm thinking there is a problem with one of their shipping centers.....

Well, if the Feedback I posted wasn't written by you, and if someone posted their book was delivered in another state, BWB has fulfillment problems. I believe that when I looked, their Feedback, for the past 30 days, was 94% Positive, which is pretty incredible, considering the number of things they ship. However, 3% Neutral and 3% Negative isn't good, if someone is within that 6%

This is helping me think well of Sierra Nevada Books in Reno, who shipped via DHL Global Mail, and I'm open to buying from them again. The 4 Amazon Sellers we bought New and Used textbooks from, last September, were all in Texas. They all shipped via USPS, all with tracking and the service from USPS was super, to South Florida. I'd be happy to buy from any of them again

This is a learning experience and the majority of the experiences are very Positive. I now consider "Fulfillment by Amazon" to be a Negative, for an Amazon Seller, but probably it is OK, for books.

Rainbow Resource told me a couple of weeks ago that they USPS has forced them to use DHL. As a "big shipper" they are not allowed to ship "media mail" direct via the USPS anymore - so it goes to DHL. Something to keep in mind. I have had books come direct media mail from various people on Amazon, so i gather it just depends on the size of the business.

I've actually not had a bad experience on the "Fullfilled by Amazon" stuff I've bought recently. Well, there was some coin tubes we ordered that were not as advertised - but because we had ordered it fullfilled by Amazon - they immediately issued a prepaid shipping label for us and processed the return. We didn't have to deal with the 3rd party person at all - which was nice. In that case, the person the day before we opened ours had also had the same issue. Ours had shown up and sat for a couple of days because the person that does the coins around here was out of town working!

The books i have ordered that way have all been fine too - I always look at them because I know I can get them in 2 days with prime!

Since your stuff is going is going thru an extra stop with your people in Miami, I would for sure ask the seller how they ship and would indeed want tracking.

I'm going to guess in the case of BWB they have a location that had an issue since it is sporadic. In my case.... I actually supposedly have something ELSE that I bought from them before this latest issue. Here is hoping I get it - and sooner rather than later because I need it sooner than later. WHY did I buy from them???? LOL!!

Overall though, all of my "media mail" shipping has been of a decent speed - 7-10 days at the most - EXCEPT for anything from BWB. Yay!

It would be interesting to know if what Rainbow Resources told you, that the USPS told them to use DHL, is true or not...

I would be OK with Fulfillment by Amazon, or, directly purchasing from Amazon, if it is not something delicate. For books that would be fine with me. For something delicate, like a Microscope, I want to know where it will be shipped from, and, how it will be shipped. WIth Amazon Fulfillment or directly purchasing from Amazon, they can't provide that information.

The DHL GlobalMailTracking, for the Art textbook that was delivered to our Forwarder in Miami, did not show that it had been delivered by USPS, until several days after it had been delivered. I knew it was in Miami, because the Forwarder's system sent me an email about it, 2 or 3 hours after they received it.

Just got off the phone with Amazon - they offered me a refund for the amount instead of filing the claim. Ok then.

He also said they do not require the tracking because international shipments cannot be tracked within their system. I'm confused I guess on that - still!

I got a response from Kim at BWB stating they didn't have tracking, and that any label with tracking on it was put on by DHL at DHL's facility, but they were going to be asking DHL to provide that tracking based on my feedback. OK then.

For the record, that response was for MY email, they still have not responded to Amazon's from Tuesday! I did leave feedback today that wasn't great - so maybe I got this email because of that??? LOL!

As for what Rainbow told me, I do not doubt it at all. The post office is not moving their own packages - they contract with UPS, FedEx and apparently DHL to move them these days. The nice lady at Rainbow said they were not happy about having to change, but they could do nothing about it. This is how they MUST ship their media mail packages now. That said, the two I have gotten that way only took maybe 1 day longer than UPS, BWB is the only DHL user I have had issues with since I bought my first used book a couple of months ago.

All the "Fulfilled by amazon" stuff comes from an Amazon warehouse. The seller has shipped it to them to be mailed out when purchased (which is why I can use Prime for them).

LOL, pardon my laughing - but um, you've never worked a retail truck have you? When I worked at Best Buy our truck was full. YOu know, a package shoved here... a packaged shoved there - not everything was neatly packed in boxes! Prior to that, my Dad showed up at the Airborne Express depot years ago to pick up a package. The person was sitting in the center of the room with a pile of packages.... THROWING THEM to the drivers. Didn't matter it if was a computer or camera - it was getting tossed!! Between those two experiences, I gave up trying to worry about how something was handled. Nothing is being treated "great" once it gets on a truck or plane! Then I became friends with my UPS guy - yup, I have no thoughts of my package being given the care it deserves any longer! :p

The Amazon A to Z claim process for 3rd party sellers can apparently take 1-2 weeks to resolve a claim (according to the dude I just spoke with), in contrast that fulfilled by amazon return a few weeks ago was easy. The normal deal with Amazon..... so if it was me I'd take the fulfilled by Amazon over the non - but I also would trust Beach Camera too. So it would certainly depend on the seller.

I was surprised to hear him say that on the tracking too - but he repeated it multiple times, "tracking is a requirement". I can see a company chancing it - but I also can't imagine Amazon being happy if someone is violating their rules/agreement. If anyone reading sells thru them - can you verify if tracking is part of the requirements?

Tracking is NOT required of 3rd party sellers.

It is highly encouraged though. I don't think you need to be a Seller to read this: http://www.amazonsellersupportblog.com/2011/01/am-i-required-to-include-tracking-information.html

According to recent posts on the seller forums, that policy has not changed.

However, BWB should be using an automated shipping service which automatically runs a tracking number. Why they haven't figured out how to automatically send that to the customer is beyond me. But I suspect it has to do with the fact that are very slow to ship and mismanage their inventory.

That being said, I think Amazon is pretty fed up with BWB, for numerous reasons.

I am also underwhelmed by BWB, not just because of economic reasons (they're one of the main players in driving books down to a penny, which hurts the small but conscientious sellers) but because of their Let's Look Like a Charity Even Though We're Not business model.

Tracking is NOT required of 3rd party sellers.

It is highly encouraged though. I don't think you need to be a Seller to read this: http://www.amazonsel...nformation.html

According to recent posts on the seller forums, that policy has not changed.

Thanks for that - I tried wading thru the sellers stuff yesterday and didn't find anything much of use to me!

However, BWB should be using an automated shipping service which automatically runs a tracking number. Why they haven't figured out how to automatically send that to the customer is beyond me. But I suspect it has to do with the fact that are very slow to ship and mismanage their inventory.

I agree. On both parts.

Here is what she said about it:

The DHL tracking label that you see was not printed and attached at the Better World Books facility, so we would not have any access to that information. Since we use a bulk shipping method, DHL picks up our packages and takes them to a DHL sorting facility where the packages are sorted, relabeled with DHL's labeling and forwarded on to their destination cities. The packages are then handed off to the local postal service for final delivery.

The fact that DHL is adding a trackable label after it leaves our facility is great information to have. We are always looking for ways to improve service to our customers and your feedback will be really helpful when we go to renegotiate our logistic contracts. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Which sounds like a great way to lose packages and explains their delays......

That being said, I think Amazon is pretty fed up with BWB, for numerous reasons.

I am also underwhelmed by BWB, not just because of economic reasons (they're one of the main players in driving books down to a penny, which hurts the small but conscientious sellers) but because of their Let's Look Like a Charity Even Though We're Not business model.

interesting. I haven't been a buyer in the used area until recently - mainly because every time I looked I could buy new pretty close to the same, and get it faster. My boyfriend has been HOUNDING me to sell books - I keep asking him why? I certainly can't make enough on a book selling for a penny plus shipping to make it worth getting rid of something that has a spot on my shelf. He hadn't sold books in awhile apparently either.... he moved on to other things I should sell! LOL!!

I swear I am done with them - even if they are the only people I can find that have the book!!

Thanks again for the tracking info!!

@Tracey Great that you have this under control with Amazon and you are getting a refund! Kudos to Amazon! Now, you can look for a more reputable seller and buy another one!

Yes, with things that are "Fulfillment by Amazon", the Seller ships to an Amazon warehouse. The problem for me, when I sent a PM on Amazon, to the Seller Amazon was promoting for the Microscope, they explained to me that because Amazon was doing the Fulfillment, they did not know where in the USA it would ship from, or, how. Beach Camera will ship from New Jersey, and they will ship via FedEx, and they will provide tracking immediately available on Amazon's web site. When I contacted Amazon (now the low cost seller), they explained they were unable to know where in the USA it would ship from, or, how it would ship, because "everything is automatic".

Yes, I know how things are frequently handled/mishandled. I worked for 2 airlines, when I was very young. The term in my mind is "cargo busters". And, my Toyota mechanic in Texas once got fed up with being an expert car mechanic and he took a temporary job with UPS. He told me how they packed things into crevices in the UPS trailers that he didn't know existed. And, there was the case of 2 identical Epson printers a friend shipped to us, from Texas, to our Forwarder in Miami, via FedEx, some years ago. In 2 identical cartons, each weighing probably 30 or 40 pounds. One was delivered to our Forwarder. They called me from Miami, to verify that I was expecting 2 cartons to be delivered. FedEx lost one of them, in the Tampa area as I recall, for several days and eventually delivered it to our Forwarder in Miami.

With the Art Textbook we bought from Sierra Nevada Books in Reno, NV, they shipped by DHL Global Mail. I believe it was 3 to 5 days after they shipped it, but they did give me the DHL GlobalMail Tracking number and I was able to track it on the DHL GlobalMail web site. They are a "Thrift Books" company, and apparently using a little better shipping technology than BWB is using.

@Tracey Great that you have this under control with Amazon and you are getting a refund! Kudos to Amazon! Now, you can look for a more reputable seller and buy another one!

Yup!!

Yes, with things that are "Fulfillment by Amazon", the Seller ships to an Amazon warehouse. The problem for me, when I sent a PM on Amazon, to the Seller Amazon was promoting for the Microscope, they explained to me that because Amazon was doing the Fulfillment, they did not know where in the USA it would ship from, or, how. Beach Camera will ship from New Jersey, and they will ship via FedEx, and they will provide tracking immediately available on Amazon's web site. When I contacted Amazon (now the low cost seller), they explained they were unable to know where in the USA it would ship from, or, how it would ship, because "everything is automatic".

I have actually been frustrated with Amazon because they can't tell me ahead of time if something is coming USPS (my shipments from Georgia I think come this way), FedEx - only Saturday stuff lately, or UPS. If they were to tell me that ahead of time - i'd often pay the extra $3.99! And yes, I get all 3 types with Prime here.

Yes, I know how things are frequently handled/mishandled. I worked for 2 airlines, when I was very young. The term in my mind is "cargo busters". And, my Toyota mechanic in Texas once got fed up with being an expert car mechanic and he took a temporary job with UPS. He told me how they packed things into crevices in the UPS trailers that he didn't know existed. And, there was the case of 2 identical Epson printers a friend shipped to us, from Texas, to our Forwarder in Miami, via FedEx, some years ago. In 2 identical cartons, each weighing probably 30 or 40 pounds. One was delivered to our Forwarder. They called me from Miami, to verify that I was expecting 2 cartons to be delivered. FedEx lost one of them, in the Tampa area as I recall, for several days and eventually delivered it to our Forwarder in Miami.

Exactly - those stinking little tiny spots you didn't know existed!!!! :p

With the Art Textbook we bought from Sierra Nevada Books in Reno, NV, they shipped by DHL Global Mail. I believe it was 3 to 5 days after they shipped it, but they did give me the DHL GlobalMail Tracking number and I was able to track it on the DHL GlobalMail web site. They are a "Thrift Books" company, and apparently using a little better shipping technology than BWB is using.

I think I have used them before...

And I'm not really overly concerned about the lack of tracking - until it is 3-4 weeks out. Or is a $$$ item. But I don't have the added overhead of shipping to someone else to ship to me, in that case I'd need the tracking numbers too.

Luckily for me - I'm going going to be extra broke in July so I won't have to worry about it!! No more $4 impulse buys!!!! :D

Tracey, regarding the possibility of you selling Used books on Amazon. I have no idea what it costs a Seller to list there. It would be very hard, when you just start out, because instead of you having a lot of Positive Feedback, they would put "Just Launched". However, if you give a really good and very very detailed description, about the condition of the book, and you price it properly, hopefully you would eventually sell some.

My belief is the percentage of textbooks that eventually drop to one cent is very low and when that happens it is because of someone coming in with a new listing, at a much lower price and some of the big companies apparently have automatic computer pricing that lowers their price, accordingly.

OT: Every 2 years, our bank in the states sends us a new Debit Card. Two years ago, July 2011, they sent it via FedEx. Someone at FedEx coded it wrong (a simple and probably common mistake), and instead of going to Colombia, which is a no brainer, it went to the Republic of the Congo, in Africa. After I discovered that and after I called FedEx, I watched, helplessly, on FedEx Tracking, as it went back and forth, between the FedEx HQ in Memphis, TN, USA and Paris, France. 3 or 4 round trips as I recall. I had our bank cancel that card and they sent a new one, via DHL, and it got here fine. Now, we need a new Debit Card and I need to ask the bank to send it via DHL if they can...

I am so sorry you've had so much trouble. I frequently order from BWB directly (not through Amazon) and buy the books that ship from them. So far, I haven't had any problems and have been very pleased with the books I have received.

On Amazon, I've ordered from Thriftbooks and Sierra(something), and though it takes awhile (no surprise), things have arrived in good condition. Just my experience.

ETA, all of mine have shipped USPS.

I am so sorry you've had so much trouble. I frequently order from BWB directly (not through Amazon) and buy the books that ship from them. So far, I haven't had any problems and have been very pleased with the books I have received.

I haven't had an issue with any of the books i've bought used, they all have met or exceeded the condition stated! Overall, i've learned a couple of things and will be using different criteria when shopping the next go around.

ETA, all of mine have shipped USPS.

They might have arrived USPS - but there might also have been a handoff to DHL/UPS/FedEx to do the actual driving of the item. Apparently not everyone has to ship that way, but I would assume all your BWB shipments ship DHL Global Mail (the label will have DHL info on it). Even Rainbow Resources free media mail shipping is DHL Global Mail now (they email you the tracking, and it takes forever to update).

@Tracey Good that I was participating in this thread, and thinking about this topic. This morning, surprise, we need a different Art textbook, for the 2nd semester of the 6th grade Art course. I think I know which textbook we need, but will confirm that with TTUISD next week, before ordering. I sent messages on Amazon, with my pre sale questions, to 2 Amazon Sellers, assuming that is the correct textbook. Normally, the same textbook is used, for both semesters, but this course is wonderful, so we need another textbook...

They might have arrived USPS - but there might also have been a handoff to DHL/UPS/FedEx to do the actual driving of the item. Apparently not everyone has to ship that way, but I would assume all your BWB shipments ship DHL Global Mail (the label will have DHL info on it). Even Rainbow Resources free media mail shipping is DHL Global Mail now (they email you the tracking, and it takes forever to update).

I haven't ordered from them in the last month, but mine really shipped USPS...no other labels or anything. :001_unsure: Perhaps they are switching methods.