Menu

What math do you use for third grade?

kateb

I need help finding a math program that will work for my son. There are just so many options....We have tried a few different ones the last few years. We started Horizons and used it for K-2. The pages were so colorful and distracting for him. He has ADHD and has trouble focusing. I supplemented with MUS but he hated the manipulatives. I probably should have moved through the MUS faster and moved on to the third book... After we finished Horizons 2 we used Saxon 3. He loved it because the pages were plain. Nothing to distract him. The beginning has been mostly review but he has done really well. He was starting to get bored and hated all of the review of stuff he said he already knew, especially the stuff you do before the main lesson. I finally just skipped all of that and went straight to the new information each day, he did much better. We are about halfway through Saxon 3. He is great at memorizing but I am not sure he really understands the concepts. Anyone else have a kid like mine? What do you use?

We started with Saxon and my dd memorized well but conceptually missed missed everything. After Saxon 1 we switched to Math Mammoth and have been thrilled. She has placement tests and just came out with spiral review books for each grade. It has been great here.

My dd did Abeka k-3 and did great. I think it gave her a solid foundation. For 4th we did BJU 5 Math and that was really good too. She went from Abeka grade 3 to BJU 5 math easily. I think I like bju math for its slow incremental teaching style. As opposed to abeka which was kinda learn and move on quickly. Next year we are probably trying ACE math because the updated upper elementary math is actually really good and I want dd to really cement the facts in.

My oldest sounds a lot like yours and we are using Math Mammoth. We also supplement on Friday with Right Start games and eBooks from Scholastic. If he is having trouble with a certain concept I love to watch Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed to help him really understand it.

My son has used Math Mammoth since second grade. It works well for him since it's straight forward, incremental but easy to skip ahead if needed, not very distracting and no manipulatives. We don't do all the problems on a page unless it's something he's having trouble with, and we work from two or three chapters at a time.

We use Math Mammoth also. We started off with Math U See but my dd hated it so we started Singapore but that didn't click either. Math was her least favorite subject. So half way through 1st grade we switched to MM and 2 years later we haven't looked back. Great fit for my DD and now she loves math:)

I use Singapore things and we read Life of Fred 3x a week. I started with Horizons and ordered Saxon twice, it just wasn't for us. I tried MUS but, he too, hated the blocks and the DVD. We started Singapore in August and haven't looked back, he and I both love it. Life of Fred is just a fun supplement.

We'll be using Math on the Level with all mine.

I was hesitant to use it with DS (was planning to use Rightstart for him) but now that I have it, it is definitely what we'll be using for all the children, its an amazing program and exactly what I was after, and after going over concepts with the kids, I am seeing concepts they "should" know but don't thanks to our previous math curricula, so I'll be staying with MOTL, it allows me to teach each individual child how they need to be, but combine them, and keep on top of things (plus fast-track or slow down or skip concepts if need be).

Mine uses Teaching Textbooks. It is interactive enough that it may keep him focused on the task at hand.

We use TT, too, but I do a lot of supplementing to keep DS's attention. We read LOF for fun, and play lots of math games. We use the math readers lists at the living math site, and we review with a "sticker math" book (or we did, in 3rd). We also supplemented with BA, but I think that was overkill. Actually, a lot of it is probably overkill, but somehow I just keep adding in more math. :laugh:

We will continue our combination of Singapore and Rod & Staff. Tried Abeka for 1st grade and it was horrible. The colorful pictures were way too distracting! R&S feels a bit slow compared to Abeka but it has helped dd gain confidence with her math facts. And she's not bothered by the fewer black and white pictures. I don't require her to do all the problems with R&S, usually about half. We're about half a year "behind" with Singapore, meaning she's finishing up R&S 2 and SM 2A. We do both programs during the school year but have slowed down to each one every other day during our summer break.