Menu

Read aloud ideas for 6 and 5 yr. old please

Meadowlark

Summer is here and we need ideas for read alouds. We have already read (and loved) the My Fathers Dragon trilogy, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and Charlottes Web.

It's VERY important to me that books do not have violence, rude language (stupid, idiot) in them. I know this alone discounts many many books. Can you recommend something quality but gentle at the same time? We also use HOD so want to stay away from anything used in that curriculum, if you're a fellow HOD'ie.

Thanks!

I was going to say anything by Roald Dahl and Charlotte's Web, but you've done those. :)

How about:

The Boxcar Children

Five Children and It

Little House Series

Tale of a 4th Grade Nothing (and the rest of the series)

Runaway Ralph (and the rest of that series)

Magic Tree House Series

Junie B. Jones Series

TumTum and Nutmeg - sweet, gentle and hilarious stories about mice

Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, Little Plum, Candy Floss, impunity Jane, Fairy Doll, Story of Holly and Ivy all by Rumer Godden

Twig and Big Susan by Susan Orten Jones

Nurse Matlida

Wizard of Oz and sequels

I do not care for rude language either and I censor the words when reading aloud. I honestly can't remember if any of the books above have rude words, but my girls enjoyed all the stories. Your boys may not care for the Rummer Godden books, but tuck them away for when your daughters are a little older. They are wonderful!

101 Dalmations

Chronicles of Narnia

The Borrower books

Wind in the Willows

Winnie the Pooh books

Beatrice Potter books

Cheaper by the Dozen

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Rescuers

Mrs Piggle Wiggle

The Princess and the Goblin

Cheaper By the Dozen

James Herriot books

The last two might have the occasional swear word or farm language but I've been able to edit those out easily. Most of them have bad guys so there is some violence, probably similar to Disney movies. Sorry, but we don't use HOD so I don't know if any of these are ones you already know.

We enjoyed the following:

Poppy (It is an excellent story, though at least one mouse character meets its demise.)

Pippi Longstocking (This is a hoot.)

Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Finn Family Moomintroll

These two we didn’t care for as much:

Toys Go Out

The Doll People

This is the list I am working through with my 6 yr. old :

Pippi Longstocking

Charlotte’s Web

Boxcar Children

Wizard of Oz

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

The House at Pooh Corner

Winnie The Pooh

My Father’s Dragon

The Dragon of Blue Island

A Cricket in Time Square

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Doctor Dolittle

The Whipping Boy

Stuart Little

Thanks everyone! I now am armed with a few more choices. Just a few questions...in your opinion, are Pippi Longstocking and Chronicles of Narnia fairly innocent? I actually own both but didn't really consider them. Maybe I thought they were for older kids?

I also do not like books where children are disrespectful to adults, even if it's funny...not a fan. We recently started a book that someone recommended and in the first chapter the kid was laughing at the teacher for having a "big behind". Um.NO THANKS! If this is what the PS kids are reading, then it's no wonder where kids are learning these things. It makes me sad :-(

I had never heard of me poppers penguins before joining this forum - then a couple of months ago I was given a copy by a childless friend cleaning out her fathers house. My kids really enjoyed it and we followed it up with a penguin lifecycle book.

I found the lion the witch and the wardrobe too scary at that age but like my eldest I was over sensitive.

My kids liked the little house in the big woods but little house on tge prairie is too slow for them yet.

Ds6 likes the famous five and both he and ds4 like tge secret seven and the magic treehouse.

You could look at the more advanced picture books too.

Eta. Ds6 loves zac power but I don't much. The spy camp and test drive ones were very good to transition to reading chapter books himself though. Nate the great is nicer but ds6 doesn't like them.

I have a 5 and a 7 year old, and I would heartily recommend:

The Trumpet of the Swan

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Tumtum and Nutmeg.

We loved Charlotte's Web and My Father's Dragon too, but you have already read these.

Based on what you have said, I really think you will be super pleased with these. Extremely high quality and gentle. HTH.

I read Pippi Longstocking to my child when she was 4 and she really enjoyed it - it is about a 9 year old girl who lives by herself so aimed more at 8 and 9 year olds, but it is humourous enough for younger children to really enjoy.

I have only started reading the Narnia series to my DD now at 5.5 and she says it is her favourite book right now (we started with the Magician's Nephew). We do NOT at this stage discuss the Biblical reference and I only answer what she asks and do not go into anything else - so for her right now it is just a good story. We may study these books at an older age.

Here are some more of the books my DD(5.5) has enjoyed:

Dick King Smith (animal stories)

Little House stories

Enid Blyton (The Naughtiest Girl in the School, Secret Seven, Shadow the sheepdog and some others) - you do need to be careful with her books as there are attitudes and beliefs in there that need some explaining based on the history of the time they were written - and some correction (we do not behave like that now) nonetheless my DD loves these stories

The Indian in the Cupboard - also considered for older children and there is some violence though it fits with the story so it is not mindless violence. My DD really enjoyed this one, though perhaps its not for very sensitive children.

The Boxcar Children

Mrs Piggy Wiggle

Ramona and other Beverley Cleary Books (Henry Huggins, the Mouse and the Motorcycle)

Magic Treehouse

Any good picture books - there are tons! At that age I would try to still read a lot of picture books even if they are happy with chapter books as they are small for such a short time and there are some really good picture books that they shouldn't miss out on.