Menu

Lean, efficient grammar program?

Does this exist? Ungraded (preferably), not babyish, to the point, not overly repetitious, easy to accelerate through.... am I searching in vain? I just want something to help older DD (9 yo) quickly get up to speed in basic grammar and mechanics. Big, big bonus points if it's written to the student. Any ideas??

Really hoping Hunter or Ellie or some other old-schoolers pop in with some fabulous but obscure program used widely back in the day. I wish there was a way to tag people in posts so it alerts them to check out a thread. But, I digress.

Some more info about Homefry: she reads at about a 4th grade level (sometimes challenges herself with 5th/6th level stuff), we're going to be using Write On in the fall. We haven't done any formal writing and very little formal grammar until now. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I think hitting the high points of grammar and mechanics will make learning to write easier for her. She's mature for her age (physically and socially she passes for 12), and sensitive to curricula being "babyish."

I really, really dislike curricula with many small moving parts (usually). I like lean, efficient, "get it done and get on with life" programs.

Killgallon's Story Grammar for _______? There's one for Elementary School and one for Middle School. One book, written to the student, not babyish, fairly slim, but good at connecting the grammar directly to writing.

Analytical Grammar? That's about as efficient as I can imagine. Eta, I missed the age - for a 9 y.o., Jr Analytical Grammar would be a possibility.

Wow! This looks so good, but so expensive! :(

One of my all time favorites for grammar is the Stewart English Program (Each workbook with TE is $15):

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?series=2344M

Pros:

1) teaches the grammar thoroughly (including advanced grammatical terms)

2) also, in a creative way, teaches writing via the grammar.

3) cheap!

Cons:

1) For older students, (may or may not be a con)

2) Does not cover diagramming. (This can be gotten from this great little reference--Harbrace Handbook of English [any issues published before 1964]. This is an 'antique' English handbook that includes extensive examples of sentence diagramming.)

Ironic....this is also a favorite of my friend, Grace, who is just starting an online summer workshop in grammar *today* -- yet the book she is using is HARVEY'S elementary grammar, since it has diagramming in it, and its very inexpensive (or even free).

But Harvey's isn't very user friendly for children--or maybe it is, I don't know. :)

I like Harvey's, but it is not easy or gentle. :)

Killgallon won't teach usage and mechanics, will it?

My suggestions:

1. Steps to Good Grammar from Walch

2. Writing Skills from EPS

3. Evan-Moor's workbooks linked by Kath above (although they are graded, they'll meet your objectives.)

Have you looked at Our Mother Tongue? It's inexpensive and comprehensive. I have it in our plans for next year, so I haven't tried it yet...although I've been pre-reading it a bit.

This one definitely fits the bill for a lean and efficient program. If you are referring to the one by Nancy Wilson, it is cheap and pleasingly laid out with short exercises --and has diagramming! I like it! (I had forgotten about this one; its been so long.)

I'll second Harvey's grammar. We tend to do FLL 1/2 first, then we move into Classical Writing and do the basic grammar there. Once you get to about 5th we use Harvey's Elementary Grammar. CW has workbooks to go with this little old textbook. Following this program we are done with grammar by end of 8th grade.

hmm, just realized I'm not sure if you wanted one that you didn't need to do every.single.year ..aka got it done before 12th grade... OR one that only took a small part of each day...

in that case, perhaps Daily Grams might fit what you are looking for?

Really hoping Hunter or Ellie or some other old-schoolers pop in with some fabulous but obscure program used widely back in the day. I wish there was a way to tag people in posts so it alerts them to check out a thread. But, I digress.

Some more info about Homefry: she reads at about a 4th grade level (sometimes challenges herself with 5th/6th level stuff), we're going to be using Write On in the fall. We haven't done any formal writing and very little formal grammar until now. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I think hitting the high points of grammar and mechanics will make learning to write easier for her. She's mature for her age (physically and socially she passes for 12), and sensitive to curricula being "babyish."

I really, really dislike curricula with many small moving parts (usually). I like lean, efficient, "get it done and get on with life" programs.

Students of the Word English is lean, efficient and obscure :lol: The suggested handbook and exercises are the Rod and Staff handbook and remedial workbooks. SOW does NOT use the textbooks, but just the handbook and remedial workbooks. There are 24 lessons that are repeated each year. Unless you get it used, you cannot get the SOW English without spending $190.00 on stuff I don't think you want to use, though. :eek:

I've used the SOW English, but don't have the rod and staff workbooks. I don't know if they can stand alone, but I'll bet they would. I just started using the SOW English again with the Writer's Express handbook and no workbook pages. Maybe next month, or the month after, I might put in a Rod and Staff order if I'm still using the SOW English.

You asked for obscure and oldschool :lol:

I can't give you a review, but this is the one we are going to try...

First Whole Book of Diagrams

Oh, I have that one! Mary Daly's First Whole Book of Diagrams. It's a good book on diagramming. I didn't know there was a workbook to go with it though. I've used it as a reference with Classical Writing... they recommended it. It is set up a little differently. The lessons are all in the back of the book and they specify which pages to turn back to for the examples.

Does this exist? Ungraded (preferably), not babyish, to the point, not overly repetitious, easy to accelerate through.... am I searching in vain? I just want something to help older DD (9 yo) quickly get up to speed in basic grammar and mechanics. Big, big bonus points if it's written to the student. Any ideas??

That sounds like MCT Grammar Town. It only takes about a month to go through and the 4 level analysis is a very useful tool for understanding grammar functionally.

Rod & Staff sounds like it fits rhe bill. It is efficient but thorough, inexpensive, nonconsumable and non babyish. It is not obscure though and is put out by the Mennonites (so expect some farm references). HTH

I forgot that I actually own Rod and Staff 3 Teacher's Manual. (I got it for $1 at a thrift shop - score!) I'm going to see if I can make that work.

I also really, really like the look of the Evan-Moor Punctuation workbooks.

Decisions, decisions....