Menu

Copper color hair? Doable at home without being too orange?

elegantlion

I love this color. My hair is super curly, thick, coarse, medium brown some *mumbles* grey, and has natural red highlights. Whenever I dye medium golden brown the golden turns red. Could I do this copper color with a box? or mixing boxes? I just wouldn't want it flaming orange.

long-dark-red-copper-hair.jpg

I'd probably go to a salon for something like that. I think the problem with boxed dyes is the lack of depth to the color, which you'd need to get that look. I've used boxed dyes and had my hair dyed professionally (though obviously not for about ten years, lol) and going to a salon was absolutely worth the money. It looked amazing, and the color didn't fade after a week like with the boxed dyes.

I don't know, but wanted to say that I have brown hair and when my hairdresser colors it I get copper "highlights" in a week or so, especially if I'm out in the sun a little. And I get SO many compliments on them. I think you should go for it! I'd have it done professionally because I'm a chicken when it comes to experimenting with color myself.

My friend dies her hair pretty much this colour but It has a habit of going very fake looking red, sometimes it's better than others, It may be because she's redying it regularly, It's currently quite red. Her natural hair colour is very dark brown. I'm a natural red head and I think its a hard colour for people to do from a packet because they often look slighly neon orange.

My friend dies her hair pretty much this colour but It has a habit of going very fake looking red, sometimes it's better than others, It may be because she's redying it regularly, It's currently quite red. Her natural hair colour is very dark brown. I'm a natural red head and I think its a hard colour for people to do from a packet because they often look slighly neon orange.

Be aware that real redheads will play spot-the-fake. It's just what we do. The color in the photo is definitely fake looking.

Make sure your skin color goes with red. I have a friend who dyes her hair red and she pulls it off beautifully. She looks vibrant and is sensitive to the color and make-up choices that work with red hair. It makes her look younger and more vibrant.

I've seen very dark-complected women choose some odd shades of red that just don't work with everything else they've got going. It doesn't always look bad, but nobody would mistake them for a natural redhead.

Henna is very permanent. It is usually impossible to get out of your hair. Sometimes it can be done, but I wouldn't count on it. You would probably have to grow it out and cut it off. That said, henna is better for your hair than regular hair coloring. You do not use any developer to lift the cuticle; the henna simply deposits on top of your natural hair color. So the color you end up with depends a lot upon your natural hair color. Test a swatch first, if you decide to go this route! I did henna glosses (very weak, mixed with conditioner) for a few years to blend in my grays.

It is a very hard color to achieve and maintain! I just had my hair dyed this past weekend and I went with a red. I actually am *very* happy with the results.

I had it done at Supercuts, I didn't even know that they did dye jobs there! It was very affordable, but they are limited as to as far away from your natural hue they can go.

I'm trying to decide how bold I want to be. A salon is out and I'll even have to wait on a box due to budget. I have a really light complexion that looks good in orange though. I don't mind it looking a little funky, my hair tends to pick up different colors and tones with any dye unless I go dark, which I only did once and it wasn't good.

I dyed my hair red once. I have dark brown hair with red highlights and pale skin and freckles. I used a box and it turned out fine. It wasn't a really off color. I didn't maintain it but it wasn't too bad growing out. My husband is a red head so I got asked if I was his sister once which was an annoying consequence.

I dye my red hair red because...I am old, lol.

And snort to the game of 'spot the fake redhead' yes! But, I have always had brown eyebrows and lashes so you can't go by that. I wish I was a copper top with red lashes and brows, I love that!

Keeping the red is a challenge, a bigger one than with other colours. When you dye your hair, you force the hair cuticle open and shove colour molecules inside. Red is a big fat molecule, and it wants to oxidize and run away. Henna is a coating you put on the hair. I think I have been told that if you use henna you can't use dye later on the henna hair? Does someone want to speak up about that? My only experience with henna was in college a looong time ago (hence my need for hair dye) and it was extremely variable. It was difficult to control the outcome, and you never knew what you were going to get. My friend with very dark blonde/light brownish hair ended up with bubble gum pink! She was good with it at the time. I am guessing that henna has improved since then?

If you dye it a copper red then make sure you spend the $$ on a truly sulfate free shampoo. I strongly suggest you go to Sally's Beauty supply and ask for one made for that purpose. I used other shampoos from the drug store that claimed to be for coloured hair, but they all caused fading. I just don't believe L'oreal etc any more.

You are also going to want maybe a glossing spray with UV protection. And wash your hair as infrequently as possible. I use shampoo on it once or twice a week at most. If I need to wash it more than that, I just wet it and use detangler. Wash it with cool to luke warm water to minimize the fading. Every time you wash it, it fades a little bit. And with summer coming up I should add that dyed red hair cannot go in a swimming pool. The chlorine (bleach) will take the red right out...or worse, bleach the red to orange.

And the skin colour thing can depend. I see lots of folks who are not going for a 'natural' look. They just like the red. Or they are going for a colour not found in nature, so it doesn't matter

I would be a bit scared to try it at home. BUT I've had some bad experiences with doing home-dye jobs anyway. :D If you're really good at doing it yourself, it might be fine.... I'm not really so good at it, so once I tried to go red and apparently didn't distribute it over my hair evenly, ending up with a total mess. Then we had to bleach it to fix it, there was nothing else we could do with it (at the time I was totally anti-going dark, I'm a natural blonde) - the first time, it turned very orange-y, the second, it turned white and we had to cut a bunch off from the chemicals. We darkened it a bit to an ash blonde and I have never tried to dye my hair at home again!! :D

I just had my hair dyed like this picture in March. Red fades SO FAST in my hair that it's not really visible any more (at least to me, it might still have a reddish tone but not like it was) so I'm getting more coppery red put in on Wednesday. :)

(because I really liked my hair, I thought I'd attach a picture :p ... ignore the face, I had started taking off my makeup but then remembered I wanted to take a picture of my hair looking all pretty lol...)

Ok... so I can't upload the picture. Anyone know why?? It says uploading isn't allowed. :(

I dye my red hair red because...I am old, lol.

And snort to the game of 'spot the fake redhead' yes! But, I have always had brown eyebrows and lashes so you can't go by that. I wish I was a copper top with red lashes and brows, I love that!

Keeping the red is a challenge, a bigger one than with other colours. When you dye your hair, you force the hair cuticle open and shove colour molecules inside. Red is a big fat molecule, and it wants to oxidize and run away. Henna is a coating you put on the hair. I think I have been told that if you use henna you can't use dye later on the henna hair? Does someone want to speak up about that? My only experience with henna was in college a looong time ago (hence my need for hair dye) and it was extremely variable. It was difficult to control the outcome, and you never knew what you were going to get. My friend with very dark blonde/light brownish hair ended up with bubble gum pink! She was good with it at the time. I am guessing that henna has improved since then?

If you dye it a copper red then make sure you spend the $$ on a truly sulfate free shampoo. I strongly suggest you go to Sally's Beauty supply and ask for one made for that purpose. I used other shampoos from the drug store that claimed to be for coloured hair, but they all caused fading. I just don't believe L'oreal etc any more.

You are also going to want maybe a glossing spray with UV protection. And wash your hair as infrequently as possible. I use shampoo on it once or twice a week at most. If I need to wash it more than that, I just wet it and use detangler. Wash it with cool to luke warm water to minimize the fading. Every time you wash it, it fades a little bit. And with summer coming up I should add that dyed red hair cannot go in a swimming pool. The chlorine (bleach) will take the red right out...or worse, bleach the red to orange.

And the skin colour thing can depend. I see lots of folks who are not going for a 'natural' look. They just like the red. Or they are going for a colour not found in nature, so it doesn't matter

I don't use shampoo at all, I use a conditioner, right it's DevaCurl. The curl hides a lot of "errors" in dyeing and cutting. My hair, even when not dyed, is about 4 different colors. "A colour not found in nature", that might be what I get, but I'm doing it more for myself and not to look like a natural redhead. I'd dye it another non-natural color, but it has such red undertones anyway, I thought I'd start there.

I would be a bit scared to try it at home. BUT I've had some bad experiences with doing home-dye jobs anyway. :D If you're really good at doing it yourself, it might be fine.... I'm not really so good at it, so once I tried to go red and apparently didn't distribute it over my hair evenly, ending up with a total mess. Then we had to bleach it to fix it, there was nothing else we could do with it (at the time I was totally anti-going dark, I'm a natural blonde) - the first time, it turned very orange-y, the second, it turned white and we had to cut a bunch off from the chemicals. We darkened it a bit to an ash blonde and I have never tried to dye my hair at home again!! :D

I just had my hair dyed like this picture in March. Red fades SO FAST in my hair that it's not really visible any more (at least to me, it might still have a reddish tone but not like it was) so I'm getting more coppery red put in on Wednesday. :)

(because I really liked my hair, I thought I'd attach a picture :p ... ignore the face, I had started taking off my makeup but then remembered I wanted to take a picture of my hair looking all pretty lol...)

Ok... so I can't upload the picture. Anyone know why?? It says uploading isn't allowed. :(

I'm sorry you couldn't get a picture attached. I'd love to see it. Did you try resizing? Sometimes they're too large to upload.

Figured it out! I didn't realize how many pics I had posted over the past couple years! I had reached my space limit. :)

Anyway, this was what it looked like the day I had it done (my hairstylist straightened it for me and such - I'm not so great with a straightener and my hair is naturally wavy-ish.)

And as I said before, ignore the face. :p

(I still had some trouble uploading, as I can't figure out how to resize any of my photos in iPhoto to small enough to be under the limit here. I'm a little tech-illiterate when it comes to that sort of thing.)

IMG_3615.jpg