Menu

Is Single Parent Adoption Possible?

mom2bee

I have tried looking this up online a few times and I am having a hard time finding something definitive.

If a single woman or man wanted to adopt a child, is there an agency that helps this demographic?

Any links pointing to a definitive agency or solid reference would be wonderful...

For some reason my Googling has been weak lately and I'm having a hard time finding the information that I need.

Yes. I know a single mom who adopted through our state foster care system. Many of the adoption "ads" that I see in our paper (they feature a child every Saturday) will say something like this child is "open to a family with either a single parent or couple" (the wording isn't exact but the idea is often that, depending on the child's needs, a single parent would not be ruled out).

For some foster children with trauma, a single parent is actually prefered over a 2 parent home. I know of a lady that adopted 2 girls from India as a single parent and then later married and adopted 6 more kids as a couple.

Yes! Although there are some agencies that won't even touch single parents usually due to their own personal bias...so I would stay away from any agency that seems hesitant. Also the other thing to keep in mind is that some of the expectant moms are placing so the child will have 2 parents in which case they would not pick you but there are expectant moms that are looking for only singles or don't care as long as other important characteristics are there. So it may take "longer" but the baby that is meant to be will be.

It's pretty common, especially for women. I did not go looking for an agency that worked with singles, because I don't recall that the agencies I researched discriminated. Though if you're looking to adopt internationally, some foreign countries prefer / require the adoptive parents to be married (among other criteria). Some have different requirements for single men vs. single women.

If it is restricted, it is usually because of the requirements of the country (international) or preferences of a birth mom. Most agencies I know of work with single parents. A couple of countries have shut off single parent adoptions because they only want to place with straight couples. It used to be that most international adoptions by gay couples were initiated as single parent adoptions and then the second parent added in the states after some time had passed.

You're considering this for the future -- like several years from now -- right?

I know you're dreaming of being a mom, but being a young, single mom isn't easy, and there are stresses, worries, and expenses that you may not have even considered.

That said, if you're planning for several years in the future, I commend you for exploring your options so you'll know what to expect if and when the time comes.

At present, I think it's good to think about your future, but I also think you should spend most of your time focusing on (and enjoying) what is happening in your life right now during your school years.

You're considering this for the future -- like several years from now -- right?

I know you're dreaming of being a mom, but being a young, single mom isn't easy, and there are stresses, worries, and expenses that you may not have even considered.

That said, if you're planning for several years in the future, I commend you for exploring your options so you'll know what to expect if and when the time comes.

At present, I think it's good to think about your future, but I also think you should spend most of your time focusing on (and enjoying) what is happening in your life right now during your school years.

I assumed that the OP is writing a paper for college or something.

It's actually probably harder to get a placement while very young than it is while single. When my brother first looked into adoption (not single) he was below the age limit for a lot of places. Most it was 25, some 30.