Menu

Plantars Fasciitis

Has anyone self-treated for this? What did you use?

Mine was cured by a combination of changing the style of my shoes and being pseudo-dedicated to doing leg stretches before getting out of bed in the mornings. I guess mine was a fairly simple case, but it sure didn't feel simple at the time, kwim? :001_smile: Good luck.

Mine was cured by a combination of changing the style of my shoes and being pseudo-dedicated to doing leg stretches before getting out of bed in the mornings. I guess mine was a fairly simple case, but it sure didn't feel simple at the time, kwim? :001_smile: Good luck.

hmm... I just spent a grocery bill on a pair of shoes from Fleet Feet. Changing the style is not an option. They did take into consideration my extremely flat feet, though. I can't imagine they are the problem.

I am willing to look into those stretches. What do you do?

I'm in the very early stages of self-treating for this. So far, this treatment only consists of wearing decent tennis shoes from the moment I get out of bed until the moment I get back in bed. I've also started wearing "sensible shoes" to church on Sunday. (I'm a flip-flop kind of girl, so this has been a big change.)

Constantly wearing good shoes has helped a *lot*, but I don't know that it's going to do the trick on its own . . . so I will be watching this thread with great interest!

THE best treatment for this is:

1) stretch every time you think of it (pull your toes up toward your knees), especially before you get out of bed in the a.m.

2) hard arch supports (NOT the gel things, but rigid arch supports - I've bought them at Target for $20, and it's sold as a form that has 'low', 'medium', and 'high' supports that are interchangeable)

3) NSAIDs (like ibuprofen, if you can take it)

4) ice the arch of your foot with (e.g.) a frozen bottle of water.

5) did I mention arch supports? Don't go barefoot....

I know the pain is in your heel, but the problem is the whole plantar fascia, and supporting the arch will take the pressure off the fascia. I was almost unable to walk for a period of time (literally!), and asked my friendly local orthopedist about it. He took one look at my shoes and said, "Well, your shoes have no arch support!" Night and DAY, I tell you!

Good luck!

I didn't exactly self-treat, but I can tell you what I did at PT...

Aside from the cortisone shots I got in both insteps - OUCH! -

First, I stretched on a board, kind of like if you put your toes on the edge of the stairs, or the side of a tub, and lowered your heel down below your toes to stretch them.

Then I used one of these, and rocked all the way back, bending my toes as high up as I could.

Another exercise I did was like this guy, EXCEPT. the toes of the foot in the back were on the achilles heel of the foot in front, stretching in the same position. Hard to explain and I couldn't find a picture, either.

Hmm, what else? Oh yeah! They injected water into a tennis ball somehow and FROZE it. Then you have to roll your foot kind of hard over the tennis ball - this is especially helpful after you get out of the bed, or car, or anytime you've been off your feet a while. Some people said a frozen water bottle worked, too...and they had a bottle at PT but made me use the ball for some reason. I have it in both feet, not sure if that matters, and I'm flat-footed, too. ??

I also have a sheet of exercises to do with a big stretchy band, night braces, and I've been forbidden to wear my beloved flip-flops ever again. He suggested I find shoes with a slight heel to keep pressure off my heels. I also wear OTC inserts, that I found myself before going to the doc, that he later approved. They came from Target, and they're not gel, but that's all I know about them.

Oh - they also did foot massage, used 'laser treatment'?, taped my feet (this felt the BEST) and what I call shock therapy, lol. They called it 'stimulation' - :glare:.

Good luck! I quit going to PT and I'm not having surgery, but these things help when it flares up, which is often. It's not a fun thing to deal with, that's for sure!

Yes, I did those stretches for a couple of months. I switched to the Rx Crocs (Cloud) and made sure I had good arch support in my tennis shoes. Doctor ordered a prescription amount of an anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxer for a short duration. It took a while - and a lot of stretches, but I am back to normal.

I will always make sure that I have proper support in my shoes. When they start wearing out, I plan on tossing them. It isn't worth the pain.

Grace, I LOVE you!!!

Can I continue to run, or will that cause further inflammation?

:001_smile: Back atcha!

I won't give you advice over the Internet, but will copy and paste a para from the last link:

In general, we start by correcting training errors. This usually requires relative rest, the use of ice after activities, and an evaluation of the patient's shoes and activities. Next, we try correction of biomechanical factors with a stretching and strengthening program. If the patient still has no improvement, we consider night splints and orthotics. Finally, all other treatment options are considered. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications are considered throughout the treatment course, although we explain to the patient that this medicine is being used primarily for pain control and not to treat the underlying problem.

So...the arch supports and all the other interventions really WILL help, but you've got (if you have plantar fasciitis) microinjuries, which need to heal. Logic would then cause you to figure that repeated pounding isn't a good thing while you are trying to heal. On the other hand, if you're training for the Olympics or chasing a REALLY active toddler, you may have reasons to run :D ....

I have narrow feet and high arches, and after I gained weight last year, I noticed the arches of my feet hurting as well. I pushed myself too hard during a 7-mile bike ride and hurt both my feet. The doctor told me it was plantar fasciitis and I should find really good arch supports for all my shoes, and to never go without shoes for an extended period of time--even in the house! I could use ibuprofen and ice packs when needed.

After a year, I still have trouble. I have noticed that when my arch supports are getting worn out that my feet really hurt. I started using those WalkFit supports--you know, the ones they sell on the infomercials--and they really help me. I can easily take them out of my tennis shoes and slip them in my work shoes. Instead of buying specially fitted shoes I just have to fork over $20 every 4-6 months and wear my favorite shoes.

I was told that with any shoe or arch support, it could still hurt for a while until your arch is "molded" back into the proper position, so for flat feet, it may take a while before the pain goes away. My doctor said it could be a year before it completely heals--I only regularly have pain in one foot these days.

Hang in there!!:001_smile:

All of the above, and I went on some heavy doses of a supplement. That company is no longer around, but it was essentially Glucosamine and Chondoitrin.

Be prepared to go on it for several months, or don't start. It takes a while to build up in your system and start repairing the damage.

I had this 12 years ago. I messed around with a Dr. for months and nothing he did was helping, until I went on the supplements. But it went away after about 6 weeks on the supplements and I haven't been bothered by it since. and I am go barefoot in the hosue all the time.

I think that the right shoes for your feet and never walking barefoot/slippers/flip flops etc are extremely important. I also can not wear Birkenstocks. I spent $400 for podiatrist visits and custom inserts but they only caused new pain in my feet that was worse than the plantar fasciitis. I finally found the right shoes for my feet and cured myself. I used the free consultation feature on http://www.nbwebexpress.com/ and it really worked. I had worn New Balance shoes before but the consultation helped me find the perfect shoes ( the consultant also recommended inserts for those shoes but I had to give them away after 2 days as they hurt). I am still wearing the exact same style 3 years later. Alternatively a good running store might be a way to find the right shoes for you.

I have been plagued on and off with this problem for some time. Last year at this time I could never take a step without pain. It was terrible. I knew about the calf leg stretches but I guess I didn't believe it really could cure such terrible pain. In the fall last year I began to diligently stretch my calf muscles through out the day and especially after exercising. I have been pain free for 8 months.

I had this really bad last year - I wanted a quick, cheap fix (of course) so I bought a pair of inserts.

I put BOTH in the one shoe w/ the bad foot. One upside down & one right side up - relief almost instantly. I wore it like that for about 6 months - I don't need to anymore. The only 'exercize' I did was roll a golf ball from my heel to my toes on the floor - very PAINFUL, but helped with the stretching.

Good luck :001_smile:

I spent $400 for podiatrist visits and custom inserts but they only caused new pain in my feet that was worse than the plantar fasciitis... Alternatively a good running store might be a way to find the right shoes for you.

The $400 podiatrist bill is exactly what I wanted to avoid. We are now self-paying for medical care which means I need to make more thoughtful choices. This seemed like a fairly simple issue that I could handle on my own.

I also think the injury occurred before I visited the running store and was still walking 3 - 4 miles a day in a worn out pair of Wal-mart shoes. I do not think my new shoes are the problem, but I am seriously considering these:

Sahamamama mentioned this site in a message about achy feet: http://www.heel-that-pain.com/

I had very painful feet, and these inserts work sooo well! I was trying arch supports, and they did little bits, but once I started these, WOW! I am SOOOO happy! :D

I saw them while surfing around. I had been told in the past I should have orthotic inserts for my flat feet. I guess it is time to look into them.

Thank you all SOO much! You were a huge help to me :001_smile:

I went to both a foot doctor, and then a sporting goods store with a decent show dept. Got more help and info from the shoe salesman than the doc. who tried to talk me into ordering $400 arch supports. Foot doctor told me NOTHING else. From these boards I learned to get running shoes - better arch support (and the show salesman was very knowledgeable and helpful - showed me what to look for in a running shoe, and which extra padded insoles to use), the morning leg stretches, and about getting a night brace to hold my worst foot in the proper position.

hmm... I just spent a grocery bill on a pair of shoes from Fleet Feet. Changing the style is not an option. They did take into consideration my extremely flat feet, though. I can't imagine they are the problem.

I am willing to look into those stretches. What do you do?

All the really smart people answer your questions while Doran is off doing mindless something elses. :lol:

Glad you got some helpful replies. There's more useful material here than I could have told you for sure -- esp. Grace's ever-valuable info..

Hope you find some relief.

My dh, a dedicated runner did and it took months. He wore good shoes with inserts every waking moment, did the stretches and stopped hard surface running. He couldn't stand it, but he is recovered. Hope you feel better, foot pain is horrible. (btw, He found the right inserts by trying a few..the gel ones fit his feet. You can also see a podiatrist if you need to. )

Has anyone self-treated for this? What did you use?

I saw a podiatrist. His wanted to try to avoid inserts or custom orthotics. He did prescribe a steroid for a couple of days but otherwise his treatment plan is doable on your own.

RICE

Rest

Ice

Compression (ace bandage)

Elevation

After the steroid, even though the pain was gone, he had me take ibuprofen 600 mg daily for a week.

Stretching is also very important.

He also advised that I stop doing step aerobics (I had been doing aerobics 2-3x week and running on the other days) to alleviate some of the pounding on my heels. He suggested cycling or swimming.

I have this. Have for about 10 years. I was never able to fix it with the stretching because I never did it enough. (1/2 hour of stretching every 2hours? Yeah right!) Go to a chiropractor who does feet. I know it sounds odd. I went to the chiropractor for 4 or 5 years before I even knew it was possible to do feet. DH fell down the stairs and she adjusted his back, knees and feet, since he jarred and twisted it all. So I asked her about my feet. She said that PF is just a little bone out of place in your foot. It pulls on that ligament (ligament? tendon? something down there) which then pulls on your heal and calf muscle. She adjusted my feet and I could feel the bone pop back and instantly feel relief in my arches and the tightness up my leg. It would slip back easily, probably because I'd had it for so long. So I had to be readjusted almost every time I went in for about 6 months (1/wk) But that's slowed down considerably and now I only need it every once in awhile if I twist my ankle or step on my feet wrong. It's been about a year and a half and I have no pain. (I do get aching in my heals if I'm on my feet without shoes or my shoes are old. I think it may have started to develop into heal spurs just a little, since I'd had it so long) She did say that not all chiropractors know how to do limbs, since its extra schooling and it depends on the state if they can charge extra for that. So you may have to look around. I'd also talked to someone from www.goodfeet.com once. Their inserts are supposed to do the same thing, realign the bones. But it does it gradually by excersizing certain muscles in your feet (or something like that) I never got together the $ for them, though, so I can't speak from experience.

I have this in my right foot. I stretch it often. I found that it hurts when I put my foot up. Go figure. No relaxing for me.

But, when we were away, it didn't hurt at all. I had suspected my computer chair was part of my problem. I dumped the chair for a different one and now it is much better.

All the really smart people answer your questions while Doran is off doing mindless something elses. :lol:

Glad you got some helpful replies. There's more useful material here than I could have told you for sure -- esp. Grace's ever-valuable info..

Hope you find some relief.

I love your replies, Doran. Please chime in anytime :001_smile:

And I am sure one of these days Grace will be sending me a bill ;)

I went to both a foot doctor, and then a sporting goods store with a decent show dept. Got more help and info from the shoe salesman than the doc. who tried to talk me into ordering $400 arch supports. Foot doctor told me NOTHING else. From these boards I learned to get running shoes - better arch support (and the show salesman was very knowledgeable and helpful - showed me what to look for in a running shoe, and which extra padded insoles to use), the morning leg stretches, and about getting a night brace to hold my worst foot in the proper position.

If I go back to Fleet Feet do you suppose they could hook me up with the correct arch supports?

Grace will be sending me a bill

Let's call it even, since you just saved me (by distracting me with THIS post) from posting on a thread that I just need to keep my mouth shut on :) (although I had written a nice long response. Sigh. Good thing I'm not working today!)