Menu

How can I save the rest of this big bunch of cilantro?

HappyGrace

If you think you might use it rather soon, I like to place a bunch in a big glass of water, and then put that in the fridge. It's like a happy little bouquet every time I open the fridge. Usually I trim the bottoms, just like you would a bunch of flowers before putting them in the water. I do this with parsley too.

I always chop mine, put it in an ice cube tray, and top the spot off with water. Each cube is around 1 Tbs. Works great for me, especially since I use it mostly for soups and other hot dishes. I pop the cubes out and store them in a Ziploc in the freezer.

I've done this with cilantro, basil, etc. It works very well. It may stain the ice cube tray a bit; I have a separate one with smaller "cubes" I use just for herbs.

Does anyone know how to de-stem without taking hours??? I love cilantro but hate de-stemming. I know some people use the stems, but I don't like them.

This is what your children are for.

I always chop mine, put it in an ice cube tray, and top the spot off with water. Each cube is around 1 Tbs. Works great for me, especially since I use it mostly for soups and other hot dishes. I pop the cubes out and store them in a Ziploc in the freezer.

I do the exact same thing and it works fine.

If you might use it in the next week or so, and don't have room for the happy bouquet, I put mine back in the bag add a bit of absorbant material around the stems (paper towel or clean rag) then SQUEEZE out as much air as possible and twist tie it shut. As an added advantage it is much more compact and easier to squeeze into the fridge.

Use it all in your recipe? When it comes to cilantro, I'm of the "If Some is Good, More Must be Better" school of philosophy.

No? Ok, then I've had good luck keeping it in a jar of mason water in the fridge, covered by a bag. It kept for about 2-3 weeks for me that way. I saw this on Pinterest and it worked well (except that I was constantly in fear that my 4 yo would knock the jar over every time she went shopping for something in the fridge :D).