Menu

Anyone homeschool Sunday School? (CC)

AndyJoy

Have any of you chosen to forgo your church's children's Sunday School classes in favor of teaching at home? Some of my objections to sending my 3.5-year-old to ours are related to the reasons I wish to homeschool for traditional academics as well (monitoring the influence of certain peers, individualized teaching, avoiding time-fillers/busy work, etc.) The vast majority of the children/teens in my church are homeschooled, but being lumped together with other homeschooled kids in a classroom setting doesn't make the classroom any less classroom-like, IYKWIM?

Anyone else in this boat? Do you use a formal curriculum? Are you open with people who ask why your kids don't attend? Does your pastor/church leadership know that/why you don't use Sunday School? Do you think that you and/or your spouse would benefit from attending adult Sunday School though you don't think your kids would? I'd love to discuss this with you!

We are struggling with this very thing.

We are also struggling to find a church that focuses on discipleship rather than just on growing their numbers or having lots of "programs".

I sometimes feel like SS is such a waste of time. My kids are bored. They don't learn much. Some of what they pick up from the other kids is questionable. SS just seems more like babysitting at the churches we've visited. People seem apathetic about the teaching aspect of it, the lessons are all fluff, and the kids are poorly behaved.

I know our kids learn more at home and I'm not thrilled with some of the friendships made there. I'd rather have small get together a with some of the families than throw my kids in SS.

So, we are right there with you trying to decide what to do.

PM me if you want to chat more...

I do not depend on Sunday School to be the major place my children learn about God's word. However, I do value it as a place my child can gain friends that (come closer to) sharing our values, as well as providing an age-appropriate forum for them while I go to my own Sunday School class and have fellowship with like-minded believers.

I am blessed by the Sunday School and children's church program at our church and try to give back by volunteering time in them when I am able. This also allows me to keep my eyes on what is being taught and such.

I took one child out of Sunday school when they were a toddler because they were not developmentally ready for it. Otherwise, we have chosen churches that have good teaching - in the pulpit and in the classes. In one case where the teaching wasn't the best, I volunteered to teach and taught to my standards. Perhaps not by 5 years old, but at some point not much older than that, I expect that my children can learn how to be in a group without going with the lowest common denominator in behavior. And I don't think that some busy work during an hour will necessarily hurt them.

We are Catholic, so it isn't "Sunday School" per se; we do homeschool Faith Formation (CCD). We had to sign something at our parish to do so.

Yes, we use a formal curriculum because of sacrament prep.

Eldest daughter will probably attend CCD this upcoming year at the parish though, as she will be prepping for Confirmation. She will continue religious studies at home, but I'm not confident in prepping for this sacrament myself.

Sunday School doesn't always work for a child that young. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it might work when he's older. He'll never learn as much as he will one on one but I did find SS a good way to have church friends, get used to sitting in a circle, and participating in a group, waiting your turn blah blah blah and learn something about Jesus. Our dc also were part of another program and had teaching at home. You don't have to say anything at this point. Just say it's not the best fit right now. If there is child care why not try out the adult class?

In the history of Christianity, "Sunday school" is a pretty new concept. Parents have been teaching their children things of God at home forever. :-)

Many pastors (and children's pastors) will not understand why you don't put your children in nursery/Sunday school/children's church. No matter how many ways you try to explain it, you may still get grief over it. So don't explain. Just take your dc into church with you, and help him learn to sit quietly, and tell the pastor or whoever questions you that you like to have your dc with you. That's all.

In the history of Christianity, "Sunday school" is a pretty new concept. Parents have been teaching their children things of God at home forever. :-)

Many pastors (and children's pastors) will not understand why you don't put your children in nursery/Sunday school/children's church. No matter how many ways you try to explain it, you may still get grief over it. So don't explain. Just take your dc into church with you, and help him learn to sit quietly, and tell the pastor or whoever questions you that you like to have your dc with you. That's all.

Are we discussing Sunday school instead of church? I don't like or agree with that practice.

If we are talking about something at a different time then services I hold to my position. Sunday school is new. Fellowship and mutual encouragement and instruction isn't.

We are Catholic, so it isn't "Sunday School" per se; we do homeschool Faith Formation (CCD). We had to sign something at our parish to do so.

Yes, we use a formal curriculum because of sacrament prep.

Eldest daughter will probably attend CCD this upcoming year at the parish though, as she will be prepping for Confirmation. She will continue religious studies at home, but I'm not confident in prepping for this sacrament myself.

I agree.

Our parish has a large home study program but we're the only ones I know of that do it voluntarily. Lol. Everyone else does te home study because they signed up too late for the regular classes.

I don't believe Sunday school should be the primary source of religious Ed for my children. I'd also examine if you are over shielding.

I don't believe Sunday School should be the primary source or religious Ed either. I do, however, like the idea of having a focused Bible time on Sunday mornings if I'm not going to put him in the class.

As far as over-shielding, I think about this constantly whenever I limit my son's contact with various kids. I don't want to make every situation perfect for him, but my mommy gut tells me he is very young and impressionable and I still need to be there to teach/correct/observe at this stage. This class is babies to pre-K and there are 2 boys who are a year older than him who I have issues with him spending much time with, esp. if I'm not there. One of them is very manipulative and sneaky and targets my son for ill-treatment, tattles constantly about him, and even completely makes things up. My son is oblivious and out-gunned verbally. I have posted about limiting contact with them before in other situations and received lots of encouragement to avoid them. The class is taught by one person at a time on a rotating basis, and knowing the personalities of several of the teachers, I know they aren't a match for these boys.

Yep. It just feels odd to me to opt out because my family attended very program-driven churches and we were literally there "every time the doors were open." My dad was employed by the church and my parents have a very strong sense of loyalty/responsibility to make sure things happen (overly so, in my opinion), so they volunteered for everything.

I have not specifically been asked by the pastor yet, but he has hinted enough that I can see it coming up at some point. He and some of the other men in the church have started talking a lot lately about poor Sunday school attendance and what we can/should do to encourage people to come. I have been asked by others a bit, but I've just said something like, "It's just not a good fit for DS right now."

Our Sunday school is before the service and there is no children's church. We arrive just as SS is letting out for the 30 min. "fellowship time" and DS sits with us in the service.

Is a new church a possibility? To be honest, I wouldn't leave my child in a classroom with a single teacher.

I think there is theoretically a teen helper sometimes, but I think the teachers are often alone. This is a very small church and I know the teachers well, so I'm not really fearful of anything bad happening--I just think the combination of the age-span and the personalities of the kids makes it hard for the teacher to really manage/teach them.

Sunday School doesn't always work for a child that young. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it might work when he's older. He'll never learn as much as he will one on one but I did find SS a good way to have church friends, get used to sitting in a circle, and participating in a group, waiting your turn blah blah blah and learn something about Jesus. Our dc also were part of another program and had teaching at home. You don't have to say anything at this point. Just say it's not the best fit right now. If there is child care why not try out the adult class?

I'm definitely open to the possibility of SS when he is in the school-age class, or maybe when he's the oldest in the littles class.

We do have good church friends who we see outside of SS/church and he does participate in structured activities that involve sitting in a circle, waiting in line, and taking turns because of our pre-school co-op, library storytime, moms group field trips, etc.

I used to attend the adult class before he was born and often found it encouraging/meaningful/challenging. If I were to attend the class, he would be in this SS class. I am considering the possibility of DH and I switching off attending SS and staying home with DS.

I took one child out of Sunday school when they were a toddler because they were not developmentally ready for it. Otherwise, we have chosen churches that have good teaching - in the pulpit and in the classes. In one case where the teaching wasn't the best, I volunteered to teach and taught to my standards. Perhaps not by 5 years old, but at some point not much older than that, I expect that my children can learn how to be in a group without going with the lowest common denominator in behavior. And I don't think that some busy work during an hour will necessarily hurt them.

The materials seem to be solid, but the personalities of the kids/teachers, the large age span, and the history we have with these two boys make me think it's not a good fit right now. DS is definitely a follower right now--he is enamored with these energetic older boys. So when they act up, he's right there with them, but is not the initiator. Then when they decide they're done they cry and tattle on him, leaving out any of their own participation/initiation/goading in the telling. I've seen how weakly people respond to these strong boys and don't want DS getting the impression that it is ok to emulate them because the adult isn't going to intervene. I have considered joining the teaching rotation, but due to the fact that my relationship with the parents of these two is somewhat strained, I'm not sure that would be the best idea at this point.

The teaching from the pulpit is great, no worries there.

You're right, the busy work is not really a big issues, just one of the factors. But I do remember many of my own SS classes being a lot of mindless fluff and fun with no spiritual purpose, and want to avoid that if possible. I know a lot of kids thought of SS as entertainment and were shocked when someone expected us to actually think and apply ourselves. I craved real teaching/knowledge. It was better when I was a teen and we had devoted teachers who really engaged and challenged us beyond the basic easy answers.

I just realized it is actually babies to K! The school-age class is grades 1-6. The youngest child is usually about 18 mo., so that's a big span up to the kids who are almost 7 when starting 1st grade!

Because of where their birthdays fall, the two older boys should technically be 2 grades above DS by PS standards, but at least one of the moms was planning to hold her son back last I heard since CA is moving the date up a month the next year and her son would miss the cut-off by a few days.

You sound like you've really thought it through, talked it over thoroughly with your dh and have prayed about it. Ultimately you know if this SS class is something that your ds has capacity for or not. I was in a small church too when we took dd out for a year and I got a lot of flack over it - to the point where, unfortunately, it was spiritual abuse. But we were able to rest in knowing that we were the parents and were ultimately the ones responsible to God for our child's care. Good luck with your decision.

I do not depend on Sunday School to be the major place my children learn about God's word. However, I do value it as a place my child can gain friends that (come closer to) sharing our values, as well as providing an age-appropriate forum for them while I go to my own Sunday School class and have fellowship with like-minded believers.

I am blessed by the Sunday School and children's church program at our church and try to give back by volunteering time in them when I am able. This also allows me to keep my eyes on what is being taught and such.

See, that's what I wish our SS was, but I don't think that it is meeting that goal. I have some real issues with the way the way 2 of the boys are parented. I have had to limit our contact with them in other venues, and actually prefer he play with several of my non-Christian friends' kids because they treat DS better and their parents respond to bad behavior more appropriately IMO! When he is older, I think I will be more willing to let him be around these kids once our family's standards/values have had more time to sink in. He is just 3.5, but is in the 95th percentile for height. People often ask me if he is the same age as these boys because he is the same size as them already though they are 13-14 mo. older. I find myself forgetting how young he is and expecting too much of him because he's my firstborn and seems so old sometimes. When I see him with a true age peer I realize he is not as old as I think!