Menu

Is there a curriculum to teach sayings and phrases

Like:

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Fish out of water

Hit the nail on the head.

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

Let the cat out of the bag.

The more the merrier.

Never leave till tomorrow what you can do today.

Wolf in sheep’s clothing

I see them in the Core Knowledge series and wondered if something exists to cover them well.

The What Your _____ Grader Needs to Know series has a section on sayings. We're using that. We do a saying a week and we're starting with the first grade book. I give the saying, explain it to my son, he draws a picture and I write the saying on the picture. Then we hang the picture up. He likes it. :)

ETA: I just saw that you already know they're in the CK books, I didn't notice that the first read through. Do you have the older or the revised editions? The revised edition gives a definition and an example.

1100 Words You Need to Know. A vocabulary program that includes idioms.

To quote reviews: "You work on 10 words for each of 5 days, and then a weekly quiz. The text stimulates and preps your mind to soak up the definition of each word by first showing you its use in a paragraph, then testing you with fill-in-the blank sentences. Finally,you learn the definitions via a matching quiz. But, after the paragraph and blank sentences, you almost know the definitions already! Also, each day a language idiom is presented as a further boost to a highly functional vocabulary."

"Each word is used in context, and you are encouraged to guess the meaning. Then you review the meaning using a matching test and a fill in the blank test. It is a stroke of brilliance that the words you have already learned are continually reviewed by being used over and over again in the following chapters. Each week has 4 lessons plus a review lesson, and a different storyline is used each week. These stories are of high interest and very clever."

I used this program when I was in middle school, and I find I have a *very* good knowledge of idioms, even fairly unusual ones.

1100 Words You Need to Know. A vocabulary program that includes idioms.

To quote reviews: "You work on 10 words for each of 5 days, and then a weekly quiz. The text stimulates and preps your mind to soak up the definition of each word by first showing you its use in a paragraph, then testing you with fill-in-the blank sentences. Finally,you learn the definitions via a matching quiz. But, after the paragraph and blank sentences, you almost know the definitions already! Also, each day a language idiom is presented as a further boost to a highly functional vocabulary."

"Each word is used in context, and you are encouraged to guess the meaning. Then you review the meaning using a matching test and a fill in the blank test. It is a stroke of brilliance that the words you have already learned are continually reviewed by being used over and over again in the following chapters. Each week has 4 lessons plus a review lesson, and a different storyline is used each week. These stories are of high interest and very clever."

I used this program when I was in middle school, and I find I have a *very* good knowledge of idioms, even fairly unusual ones.

There is a quizlet already created for this! BONUS! Thanks. I don't know if they included the idioms, but even so, it is worth it for me to have the kids each have an account to practice this for vocab!

This! You need this! Raining Cats and Dogs by Vocabulary Power. It's like a desk calendar, but not dated, with a spiral top. It gives the saying with an illustration of the literal translation, then tells you what it really means. I'm not sure it has all the ones you mention but is a fun, easy way to learn these.

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-Power-Raining-Cats-Dogs/dp/B008D77PQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368668006&sr=8-1&keywords=Raining+cats+and+dogs+vocabulary+power

This! You need this! Raining Cats and Dogs by Vocabulary Power. It's like a desk calendar, but not dated, with a spiral top. It gives the saying with an illustration of the literal translation, then tells you what it really means. I'm not sure it has all the ones you mention but is a fun, easy way to learn these.

http://www.amazon.co...ocabulary power

Oh why do I always feel compelled to buy so much? I like the looks of this system. I bought it. I was worried we'd never do quizlet and my emails from the other idiom source already started coming even though we aren't ready for them yet. A flip book is perfect.

""This! You need this! Raining Cats and Dogs by Vocabulary Power. It's like a desk calendar, but not dated, with a spiral top. It gives the saying with an illustration of the literal translation, then tells you what it really means. I'm not sure it has all the ones you mention but is a fun, easy way to learn these.

http://www.amazon.co...ocabulary power ""

I will have to try this. Thanks for the link. I think that I will also buy one of their other flip books "Vocabulary Power Sound-A-Likes" to work on homophones/homonyms.

I will have to try this. Thanks for the link. I think that I will also buy one of their other flip books "Vocabulary Power Sound-A-Likes" to work on homophones/homonyms.

I actually have that one too! We read through several each day from both 'books'.