Menu

Runners/walkers/breathers Check in 8/4

I am sure you are on top of the world and you should be. Absolutely fantastic.

I decided to use the treadmill this morning because dh had to go into work early. I did 3.5 miles at 4.2mph(up to 4.3 for 1/4 of a mile) with a 3 incline. This is an increase in speed and incline for me and it was quite a workout, but like you said it felt great. I really want to work at getting my heartrate up more and the increase certainly did that. I don't seem coordinated enough to run on the treadmill. I picture myself flying through the window if I tried it. Since I don't want my ds to wake up to his mom scattered across the front lawn I am not planning to try running on the treadmill anytime soon.

I did 2 miles (30 minutes; 17 running, 13 walking), but it was weird (hence all that walking!!). I was walking toward the middle during a scheduled break (walk 1, run 5 repeat over and over again), and my left leg started to burn. I tried to shake it off, stretch, walk it out, but it just kept burning. I stopped for a second and massaged the muscle, then my calf started to burn. :glare: So I massaged that, stretched just a bit, and walked again. It didn't go away, and I got mad. So by the time I was .2 of a mile from home, I decided to just run as fast as I could. Dumb, but that's what I did. So I ran the .2 in under 2 minutes (1:52). When I got in the door, I drank some water and sat down to cool off. The pain became nauseating at that point -- it was low down in my abdomen on the left side (if it were the right, I'd think it were my appendix), went around my back, then down BOTH thighs. Now it's gone. Color me clueless!

I'm going back out this afternoon when dh goes downstairs for his workout. I'm going to just do another mile.

Yippee!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! How did it feel?

I did 3 miles this morning and it felt GREAT!!!! I took two days off due to some weird pain in my knee. The pain is gone and the run felt great! Weather was perfect though.

Perfect weather. Pain is gone. Can we ask for more? (Well yes, but don't burst the bubble! :tongue_smilie:)

I am sure you are on top of the world and you should be. Absolutely fantastic.

I decided to use the treadmill this morning because dh had to go into work early. I did 3.5 miles at 4.2mph(up to 4.3 for 1/4 of a mile) with a 3 incline. This is an increase in speed and incline for me and it was quite a workout, but like you said it felt great. I really want to work at getting my heartrate up more and the increase certainly did that. I don't seem coordinated enough to run on the treadmill. I picture myself flying through the window if I tried it. Since I don't want my ds to wake up to his mom scattered across the front lawn I am not planning to try running on the treadmill anytime soon.

Treadmill running does take practice. If you try, make sure you clip that tether thing on . The thing that turns it off if you get to far from where it plugs in. I've never seen anyone fall off, but that would stop it for you. No mom on the lawn!

I did 2 miles (30 minutes; 17 running, 13 walking), but it was weird (hence all that walking!!). I was walking toward the middle during a scheduled break (walk 1, run 5 repeat over and over again), and my left leg started to burn. I tried to shake it off, stretch, walk it out, but it just kept burning. I stopped for a second and massaged the muscle, then my calf started to burn. :glare: So I massaged that, stretched just a bit, and walked again. It didn't go away, and I got mad. So by the time I was .2 of a mile from home, I decided to just run as fast as I could. Dumb, but that's what I did. So I ran the .2 in under 2 minutes (1:52). When I got in the door, I drank some water and sat down to cool off. The pain became nauseating at that point -- it was low down in my abdomen on the left side (if it were the right, I'd think it were my appendix), went around my back, then down BOTH thighs. Now it's gone. Color me clueless!

I'm going back out this afternoon when dh goes downstairs for his workout. I'm going to just do another mile.

That is odd pain. I hope it stays away!

Don't make me go!!! It's already 80 degrees and 85 percent humidity, and I'm not leaving for another hour because I'm waiting for a friend. We'll do our usual walk/run hour-long route.

Go, you will feel better for having gone. Enjoy going with a friend. That always makes it better.

No high schoolers out today. I'd gotten used to seeing them. They don't say hi, but it was cool seeing lots of other runners. Maybe I just went late?

Anyway, 2.7 miles, 27:??, 10:26 pace. Tiger Woods this time telling me I clock my best mile yet. It felt fast too. Fast music today. Weather was ok, lower humidity.

That is weird. Did you drink water before you left? Could it be the sciatic nerve? Congrats on your run!!!

Don't make me go!!! It's already 80 degrees and 85 percent humidity, and I'm not leaving for another hour because I'm waiting for a friend. We'll do our usual walk/run hour-long route.

Congrats to you, Kathy! I'm sure that felt awesome!

Have a great day, everyone!

Chelle

I'm not giving you permission to stay in!!! GO! Just GO!!! You won't be sorry.

Perfect weather. Pain is gone. Can we ask for more? (Well yes, but don't burst the bubble! :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks!!!

No high schoolers out today. I'd gotten used to seeing them. They don't say hi, but it was cool seeing lots of other runners. Maybe I just went late?

Anyway, 2.7 miles, 27:??, 10:26 pace. Tiger Woods this time telling me I clock my best mile yet. It felt fast too. Fast music today. Weather was ok, lower humidity.

Cool! I went late too - not very many other people. If I go before 7 am there are a TON of people out. If I leave after 7, they're all gone!

Good job on your run!

I did 45min, 30min of that was jogging/running, 15 walking about 3.5 miles.

Great job Lynn! Are you training for a race?

Brindee???? Where art thou???? i told ya' I would keep bugging you!!

Has anyone heard from Rhonda lately? I know she was training for the 1/2 marathon. Just wondered how that was going.

You ladies are an inspiration. I really appreciate this thread :001_smile:

DH and I made a committment to exercise, and we were doing well before our vacation. Now after a week of rain and a week of camping, we could both use a virtual kick in the pants. Today I think I am going to work out on our new toy because I need to attend a meeting this evening. Tomorrow evening we will be back on the track, and should have no more interruptions for the next few months. I won't tell you where we are on our Prevention plan, but let's just say we are brand new to running. :o I hope one day soon to be able to post the same kind of numbers as you all.

Keep up the great work. :thumbup:

O.k., Jennifer! Now I'm feeling really lazy! I wanted to reply to everyone like you and Cheryl did, but thought that since I'm new it might not mean that much--like it would coming from you "old" people! Now that I see how nice it is, I'm wishing I would've done it! You guys are great!

So, anyway...I just got a call from my running friend who has been out and about already this morning. She suggested we go tonight, in the hour before sunset. It'll be hotter temperature-wise, but lower humidity and no sun right on us.

I'll try to check in after so you know I didn't wimp out!

Chelle

DH and I made a committment to exercise, and we were doing well before our vacation. Now after a week of rain and a week of camping, we could both use a virtual kick in the pants. Today I think I am going to work out on our new toy because I need to attend a meeting this evening. Tomorrow evening we will be back on the track, and should have no more interruptions for the next few months. I won't tell you where we are on our Prevention plan, but let's just say we are brand new to running. :o I hope one day soon to be able to post the same kind of numbers as you all.

Just wait a couple of minutes--Cheryl and Jennifer will be on you in no time with that kick!

Chelle

O.k., Jennifer! Now I'm feeling really lazy! I wanted to reply to everyone like you and Cheryl did, but thought that since I'm new it might not mean that much--like it would coming from you "old" people! Now that I see how nice it is, I'm wishing I would've done it! You guys are great!

So, anyway...I just got a call from my running friend who has been out and about already this morning. She suggested we go tonight, in the hour before sunset. It'll be hotter temperature-wise, but lower humidity and no sun right on us.

Chelle

Hey! Who are you callin' old!!!! LOL I have to laugh here because I'm actually one of the "newbies" in terms of running! I just started in April. Okay - As long as you come here and post about your run, we'll give you and extention until tonight. LOL

Just wait a couple of minutes--Cheryl and Jennifer will be on you in no time with that kick!

Chelle

LOL!!!! So, this is my reputation??!!

So, Beansprouts - what time will you be out and when can we expect a report??? LOL

Chelle

Silly, silly you. An encouraging word is, well, encouraging -- no matter who it comes from!! You are not too new (and uh, nobody here is old so to speak ;))!

You may not wimp out. You will go out tonight on your run and take us with you. You will hear us in your ear as you go, and you will report back to us as soon as you get home. :D

That is weird. Did you drink water before you left? Could it be the sciatic nerve? Congrats on your run!!!

Yeah, I did drink water, but I don't think I had enough yesterday. I was wondering if that was the problem too. I don't think it's my sciatic nerve -- the pain started down the front of my left thigh and went into my knee. Afterwards it went all around my abdomen to my back and down both legs. Weird.

It's gone now, and I feel fine. But boy did it hurt. I wonder if I need better shoes?

I won't tell you where we are on our Prevention plan, but let's just say we are brand new to running. :o I hope one day soon to be able to post the same kind of numbers as you all.

I LOVE the Prevention plan. I worked my way through it 4 years ago, and now that I'm starting back up, I'm wondering why I didn't just start there to begin with! LOL

I tried to do Week 9, Day 1 this morning; didn't happen. I'm off to look at the Plan to see exactly where I should be based on today's effort.

Just keep running!

Now after a week of rain and a week of camping, we could both use a virtual kick in the pants. Today I think I am going to work out on our new toy because I need to attend a meeting this evening. Tomorrow evening we will be back on the track, and should have no more interruptions for the next few months. I won't tell you where we are on our Prevention plan, but let's just say we are brand new to running. :o I hope one day soon to be able to post the same kind of numbers as you all.

Yes, try out your new toy! DH wishes we could get something liek that, but there is no room! And yes, one day soon you will be posting the numbers we are! Even better!

I wonder if I need better shoes?

When I have pain due to shoe issues, it's usually shin splints or foot pain. What are you running in? That very well could be it. Are you running in actual running shoes? Or cross trainers? Or walking shoes? I've only ever run in running shoes. Comes from having a dad who runs I guess. But I have heard of people who run in whatever they own having issues. I know walkers who do not use walking shoes. They go buy running shoes.

OH, and who fit you for your shoes? You or someone at a sporting goods store or someone at a running store? You should really go to a place that specializes in running shoes. The people just know what they are talking about more. I can't find a link that shows my favorite place to go for shoes when I need something different. (Runners are famous for "if it's not broke, don't fix it." And the people who sell running shoes are the same way. First question is "is there something wrong with what you are running in now?" Second question is "What?") If you can pick up an issue of Road Runner Sports, there is usually a list in the back, in the advertising section.

LOL!!!! So, this is my reputation??!!

So, Beansprouts - what time will you be out and when can we expect a report??? LOL

Tomorrow evening after supper. I will try to report Wednesday morning.

In the mean time I rode the stationary bike for 25 minutes this morning, then did a full work out. My tushie is sore so be nice to it :001_smile:

And about foot pain...

The bottom of my heels are sore and stiff especially first thing in the morning. My left ankle has also been tender at times. DH and I were both fit for shoes at a running store, and dropped an obscene amount of money because we wanted to start off right. This can't be my shoes, it just can't...

Any thoughts?

Everyone is doing so well. I can't believe how much this thread has grown since it was first started. It's great to see so many people getting out there and running/walking/exercising.

I agree! It is so cool to know that so many of us are getting out there and taking care of ourselves. As I train predominately by myself, it is nice to know I'm not the only one. Kudos to you all!! :D

Today - I'm taking the day off. I'm still sore from a 30K race I did on Saturday and my sitter is out of town. I called a trainer though - I seem to have hit a plateau in my performance so I'm seeking a coach! :)

And about foot pain... The bottom of my heels are sore and stiff especially first thing in the morning. My left ankle has also been tender at times. DH and I were both fit for shoes at a running store, and dropped an obscene amount of money because we wanted to start off right. This can't be my shoes, it just can't... Any thoughts?

When I first started running in earnest 3 years ago, I had developed a severe pain in my left heel. It was particularly painful in the morning and I could hardly put any weight on my heel. It would feel better as I got moving around and wouldn't bother me at all during a run after I warmed up a mile or two. Eventually it got unbearable and I saw a podiatrist. He determined that I had Plantars Fasciitis and prescribed a steroid for a couple of days. Thereafter, I took ibuprofen for a week. The pain went away within the first couple days of the steroid. I also stopped doing aerobics and started swimming or cycling instead. I have been injury free for 2+ years now.

A neighbor of mine had similar pain in his heel and he saw the same podiatrist. He shares my story. You might Google Plantars Fasciitis and compare symptoms.

I took Saturday off, but aside from that have stuck with one hour of cardio a day. Today I did 20 min hill walking on the tread, 20 min bike, and 20 minute eliptical. I feel good, but was a little annoyed when I stepped on the scale and had gained 3 lbs since last week :confused:

Muscle baby! You are only in week 2. You are very much in the muscle building stage. Muscle weighs more. Keep at it. Be patient. The great thing about muscle is that it also burns more calories.

I agree! It is so cool to know that so many of us are getting out there and taking care of ourselves. As I train predominately by myself, it is nice to know I'm not the only one. Kudos to you all!! :D

Today - I'm taking the day off. I'm still sore from a 30K race I did on Saturday and my sitter is out of town. I called a trainer though - I seem to have hit a plateau in my performance so I'm seeking a coach! :)

30K?! Holy cow!!! That's one LONG run! How'd you do? Did you run the entire thing? Congratulations and you deserve the day off!

I'd love a coach to help me train for my leg of the marathon relay. My goal is just to finish without walking - it's 5.8 miles! (That's 1.8 more than I currently run on my long day.)

You will feel better having done the workout!

I'm not sure I can agree. I did my workout this morning day 5 of trying to start working out and boy am not feeling better. I know where every muscle(well flab of fat muscle wanna be) is right now. Does it ever get better?

:confused: