Menu

anyone else NOT like Elemental Science?

IceFairy

We didn't like it. We only did the Earth Science/ Astronomy. My kids weren't thrilled by the readings and the worksheets were boring. A total aside but my DS w/ autism couldn't stand the way my name was printed at the bottom of each page.

We switched to Mr Q in January and they love it. I have to help my 1st grader with the worksheets, and we skip the word searches. I also grabbed a bunch of the Let's Read and Find Out books to add to it. Now science time is a favorite here.

I own chemistry, physics, and exploring science ... and use none of them. I think what bothers me is that it just points you to other sources and lists what to do, so it isn't visually engaging to me at all. I really dislike learning out of an encyclopedia as well. We love Mr. Q. When I read Mr. Q, I imagine Bill Nye reading to me, and I'm hooked LOL.

That probably is a key - do you want a textbook/narrative approach, or more of a "living book" approach.

it is basically a schedule - one I am thankful to not have had to put together. i'm sure I will tweak it as we go on...

We haven't started Earth Space yet, I have in my mind it will be the 2nd week of June or so for it (when the child gets out of PS). We will also start Physics up in earnest at that point - life has just mucked up the extras this quarter.

Not enough fun, hand-on stuff for us!

Science must be doing things, I think, as well as reading about them.

We have used RSO for two years and are very happy with it. Same basic outline of content, but essentially hand-on rather than essentially read or do paper/cut out/coloring things.

We do get loads of library books for each topic or area b/c they are fun, but I don't actually plan them into our lessons or school time.

We don't love it.

The readings in the encyclopedias are not enough.

The narration sheets get old fast.

The information doesn't build on itself. It's just a bunch of disconnected facts.

My dd remembers nothing that we've read!

Not all experiments perfectly correlate to the studies.

It's not very exciting or engaging.

We used biology and it has just been boring for us. The information does not feel cohesive. Everything seems random and too light.

I love the idea of it-but the program wasn't for us.

We are going to use Apologia as a read aloud and Nancy Larson as our spine.

Apologia has good info and nice pics.

NL is very cohesive, organized, easy to use, and the info gets retained by my kids.

Sooooo, we are going back to those 2 for next year.

My kids may be strange, but they really loved ES. I actually packed up my Earth/Space books today because someone bought them, and I looked over and saw my little guy tear up over us sending those books away. He really loved learning about the planets especially. We almost always did the ongoing projects, and those added to the fun factor for them. I loved that you can add more to ES if you want. It's a good thing there are a variety of programs out there for all different kinds of people to like :) I think my science loving kids would be happy with anything that had to do with science though.

I like how it is laid out, don't like the encyclopedias she uses for grammar stage. So I use her schedule, including experiements which we've liked so far, but my own books for the readings (mostly from the library). And then I supplement with magic school bus and other things.

The exception has been chemistry. We're doing the lapbooking through chemistry and I do actually like the book (fizz, bubble, flash) that she uses with that. It is a bit heavy for my 2nd grader, but he is enjoying it and actually remembering. And the style of putting together the lapbook is really fun for him, as opposed to just writing narrations.

Oh, no! I was going to try ES Earth Science/Astronomy next year. Now, not so sure. :( Can anyone tell me what Mr. Q is like? Well laid out as far as materials needed, etc.?

Just remember this is a thread for people who don't like ES. ;) Plenty of us are really happy with it. :)

I didn't use the elementary levels of ES, and many seem not to enjoy those. However, my DS has really loved the logic stage ES earth/space and biology courses. I like having it all laid out and the fact that it is based on secular, widely-known and respected encyclopedias, rather than a single author who may or may not have written accurate science. My DS likes being able to work independently for lots of it. It has a schedule, discussion Q&A, vocabulary, quizzes, memory work, a weekly hands-on activity, and teaches the scientific method. It is highly flexible and adaptable. A younger child with a love of science and/or who has previously had wide science exposure (and wants more) can easily use the logic stage materials for higher level input, with less output required. Of course, if encyclopedia-based learning is not your thing, you won't like ES. It isn't the fault of the curriculum, just a mis-match of learning preferences.

We used the Elementary Biology, I think it was...the one that spent alot of time on animals. So completely redudant! Five minutes talk on animal, cut and glue picture, write brief statement/fact. Experiments were not interesting. I used Chemistry and that one was okay. Again, the experiments were not all that interesting. I keep looking at ES...but then remember why we left it.