Menu

Looking for a different place to vacation in the southeast. Ideas?

grantmeawish

North GA Mountains area is a nice area.

N Georgia or Western NC. Hiking, river rafting, rock climbing....loads of outdoor things to do. Fun, small cities to explore. Weird festivals(like White Squirrel in Brevard or the one in Saluda...can't remember which animal, maybe possum).

But we did the western part of VA years ago and really enjoyed it. Basically along the I-81 corridor. Did science museums, kid museums, hiking, caves, small festivals, skyline dr, and such. It was a wonderful vacation. I just searched for festivals for the month we wanted to travel and then some top tourist spots. There is a potato chip factory we still stop at anytime we travel on 81 now :-)

Charleston is very nice with lots of history (and you can visit the surrounding beaches as well). About 1 1/2 hours north of Charleston is a nice resort, Litchfield by the Sea, on the beach. It is fairly inexpensive but still very nice. While staying there, you can travel off of the resort to Myrtle Beach (about 20-30 minutes north), which has lots of activities for families, go into Murrells Inlet for seafood, or just stay at the resort and enjoy the surrounding areas (Litchfield/Pawleys Island). You can charter a fishing boat, rent kayaks, and go biking on a path that leads into Murrells Inlet. Or, you can spend a day in Charleston (which, again, is about 1 1/2 hours south, but easy to get to).

We love St. Augustine. And Savanah. And the Smokies. South Carolina is beautiful. We never did get to the Keys, a big regret, but the Panhandle has some great beaches that aren't too crowded.

One thing I miss the about living down south was all the vacation destinations within a 12 hour drive. For this prairie girl, anything within a 12 hour drive feels like it is right next door ;).

Savannah has Tybee nearby, but I don't consider that area a real beach. I grew up visiting my grandparents on the Panhandle and the Georgia-South Carolina area of the Atlantic seems like a big brown lake. :) The tidal marshes there are very cool.

New Orleans? Chattanooga is fun but no beach.