Menu

Authors with Pen Names?

bolt.

What do you think about Christan (or other) authors using pen names? Is is dishonest?

If there was an author you knew (personally) and you also liked thier writing --- in your social circle, and you knew them by their real name, but not their pen name, would that bother you, that he/she was keeping that from you?

If you personally knew an author whose writing you liked (who wrote under their own name) would that change how you related to them? Would it be awkward? Would it be awkward if you knew the author and liked the author, but didn't really care for the writing?

If you had grandiose plans of becoming a famous author, would you consider taking on a pen name? What thoughts would influence that decision?

I don't really care if someone chooses to use a pen name. Writing can be a passion and a career, and dependent upon how you're socializing career may not come up. I think it would be discussed like any career in most social gatherings, unless you're socializing with a group of writers then it's a whole new game (*pauses* misses my writers' group)My opinion of their writing doesn't really affect my relationship with them. I have friends & family who write and publish. A few of them write in genres I rarely read. I read their work because I like them and want to support them. They also don't treat them profession like a MLM and try to discuss it at everything get together.

I considered a pen name for a few reasons: One is that my maiden name dies with my generation. There are no male heirs to carry it on. I can track the name back to before the founding of this country. I put "famous" and "author" in different categories, but at least there would be some written documentation to carry on that name.

I've also seen people consider it because of their position. They were still actively involved in a high profile career and didn't want their new career to distract from the professionalism of their current job.

Also, if there is an existing popular author with that name, I would consider a pen name to avoid confusion.

I think that the cult of celebrity has affected the Christian community (pastors of the touring circuit, contemporary music artists, etc). I would completely understand if a Christian author of fiction chose to use a pen name in order to protect/preserve a low key personal life.

Years ago I wrote a letter to Gilbert Morris, a prolific writer of fiction for Christians. One of the things I asked him about was pen names. In his reply he said that he saw no problem with it.

Personally, if I ever published, I would definitely. use a pen name. But that's just me....

I'm curious to hear Georgianna D's thoughts on this.

There are many reasons for pen names. I write nonfiction under my real name, but fiction under a pen name. It's actually quite common practice for writers that publish across multiple genres. For example, a writer well known for writing and selling romance is going to have a heck of a time branching out and writing say, military fiction, so they publish under a pen name.

Writers also use pen names for privacy, to publish under a more memorable name, to hide gender (especially in genres that appeal more to the one gender or the other), or for a fresh start if they've submitted a lot but had problems getting published. It has nothing to do with being dishonest. When you write your name is your brand. Should all businesses be named only after their founder? Instead of Apple, we'd have Steve Jobs Computers. It's the same with writing, so author's get to choose the name of their "brand."

I read romance books for relaxation and almost all use pen names. It might just be socially awkward for them to use their real name. For fiction, I don't see anything dishonest with pen names. For non-fiction that would be weird to use pen names.

There are many reasons for pen names. I write nonfiction under my real name, but fiction under a pen name. It's actually quite common practice for writers that publish across multiple genres. For example, a writer well known for writing and selling romance is going to have a heck of a time branching out and writing say, military fiction, so they publish under a pen name.

Writers also use pen names for privacy, to publish under a more memorable name, to hide gender (especially in genres that appeal more to the one gender or the other), or for a fresh start if they've submitted a lot but had problems getting published. It has nothing to do with being dishonest. When you write your name is your brand. Should all businesses be named only after their founder? Instead of Apple, we'd have Steve Jobs Computers. It's the same with writing, so author's get to choose the name of their "brand."

:iagree:

I don't see a problem with it. I think there are lots of good reasons for it.

I don't necessarily tell someone that I know casually *everything* there is to know about me. I don't find it odd, unless someone was actively lying about it.

Eta: I have known a few authors. I wouldn't feel awkward about it unless I disapproved of their writing for some reason.

I don't see a problem with it. I think there are lots of good reasons for it.

I don't necessarily tell someone that I know casually *everything* there is to know about me. I don't find it odd, unless someone was actively lying about it.

Eta: I have known a few authors. I wouldn't feel awkward about it unless I disapproved of their writing for some reason.

LOL, that's probably another reason why some choose to ;)

There are a few teams who write under one name, too. I have heard of authors using different names for different genres. To be honest, I really don't care, although I dislike ones where the author is really a revolving door of different people, like with Nancy Drew. I don't know that this bothers me on a religious level. My grandma always had a problem with Father Greeley, though. She thought it was a bit scandalous that a priest would write such stuff.

I don't see it as any different that using usernames here. Most of us don't use our real name, especially no the whole name.

My dd enjoys writing and hopes to be published someday. She uses a pen name for safety/privacy reasons. Would I want her to be posting on writing forums under her real name? Absolutely not! I want her to have privacy in 'real life' too.

And if you manage to write a novel that ends up topping the bestseller list, or a blockbuster screenplay, a pen name might help you avoid the lottery jackpot winner's problem of money hungry groupies. I imagine that it would also be tough to make publicity rounds under an assumed personality, but hey, that's a challenge I'd be willing to face (with dark sunglasses!). :laugh:

And if you manage to write a novel that ends up topping the bestseller list, or a blockbuster screenplay, a pen name might help you avoid the lottery jackpot winner's problem of money hungry groupies. I imagine that it would also be tough to make publicity rounds under an assumed personality, but hey, that's a challenge I'd be willing to face (with dark sunglasses!). :laugh:

Funny story that only somewhat relates: a guy who works at the video rental place near my parents became convinced that my dad was a famous author who uses a pen name. It was totally weird. We could not talk him out of the idea.

I have a couple of homeschooling mom friends who are authors (one more famous, the other just starting). One uses her real first name, but a different last name. Part of this is because the pen name puts her in a group of authors who write similar books (some of whom also use pen names), but it is also good to have a little bit of anonymity sometimes. The other uses her middle and last initials and her first name as her last name. She IS using her real name is scrambled.

Both would readily admit that their pen names ARE pen names, so I don't think that there's anything dishonest about it.

It's a challenge most of us are willing to face.....and I even use my real name :p