Menu

Gee, guys, when I said go pick some raspberries...

...I didn't mean 65 pounds of 'em!:blink: We live in the raspberry capital of the country but most of the fields are sprayed. One of the few places around here that offers "organic" (not certified, but no spray) raspberries was open for u-pick yesterday so I figured that'd consume a good couple of hours of work for the guys. Problem is, they didn't want to stop picking. And came home with 65 pounds of berries, most of which I couldn't get to last night. I've made some jam; individually quick froze others, but soon I need to head out for the day and leave loads of them getting mushy and buggy. Quite the bummer, but good grief, with blueberries and blackberries around the corner, this is overload!

If I didn't live on the other side of the continent I'd be happy to take several pounds off your hands. :001_smile:

I wish I could share these! I've thought about taking some to the mission when I head down that way in a bit; that's usually what I do with extra produce. But truth be told they're already so mushy, it kinda seems like ~ "Here ya go, street people, have these mushy berries that are on the verge of getting moldy!", kwim?:confused:

Can you freeze more of them? I still have blueberries from last year and we are waiting for our blackberries to ripen. Too much of a good thing? Never. LOL

Oh, agreed! What I love about blueberries is how easy they are. We pick them, I rinse them off and dump them in freezer bags, and we use them to whole year through. No prep, just freeze and add to pancakes, muffins, cobblers. These raspberries were rained on all week and turned to mush so quickly, especially since I had to leave them out overnight. Maybe I'll just toss them in bags and into the freezer and deal with them later...?

...I didn't mean 65 pounds of 'em!:blink: We live in the raspberry capital of the country but most of the fields are sprayed. One of the few places around here that offers "organic" (not certified, but no spray) raspberries was open for u-pick yesterday so I figured that'd consume a good couple of hours of work for the guys. Problem is, they didn't want to stop picking. And came home with 65 pounds of berries, most of which I couldn't get to last night. I've made some jam; individually quick froze others, but soon I need to head out for the day and leave loads of them getting mushy and buggy. Quite the bummer, but good grief, with blueberries and blackberries around the corner, this is overload!

I'll be right there to pick them up! :D Mmmmmm I love raspberries!

Colleen, I'm JEALOUS that you have raspberries and are still looking forward to BLUEBERRIES! Ours were done back in June. :(

June already? Wow! Raspberries always come on here around mid-July and the season lasts two or three weeks. That's followed by blueberries in early August and blackberries after that. But I would've had more time to deal with it all back in June, and I'm also getting rather impatient, waiting for more produce in general. The other day Tracy in KY posted about all the green beans she's canned ~ and we've got a couple of weeks to go before ours start producing!

Wish I could invite all of you over for ice cream and berries!:)

:lol::lol: Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is selling muffin tops and tries to give away the muffin bottoms. :lol::lol:

Do cows like raspberries? I know our ducks would be thrilled if we sprinkled mushy raspberries all over the yard.

oh yum! I'm so jealous that you have the space to store them! I'm dreaming and hoping for a space to have a chest freezer and a nice pantry...hopefully we'll get the house we want soon. It stinks having to buy frozen berries from around the world most of the year long :glare:

Yeah, that's be a bummer! I do have a freezer where I can keep these, but it's quite the piece of junk. It's out in the barn, has a totally rusted top, and I have to leave enough space in there for the occasional bucket or two of cow colostrum.:tongue_smilie:

Where do you live, and what's the quickest route?'

:D I'm in northwest Washington state.

I'm going on year 4 without my berry patch producing anything. Stupid bunnies.

Here we are with a farm and we don't have our own berry bushes. Kinda silly. So this 65 pounds did come at a price ~ which is why I feel like I should try and do something to salvage these!

We have a couple bushes here - aside from freezing a lot, I also stick 'em in a food processor (blender would work, too) and whizz 'em around, then pour through a wire strainer to remove seeds - have to use a large spoon and mush it up against the strainer to force the juice out - then cook up with a bit of sugar and cornstarch to make raspberry sauce. I keep some out in the 'fridge for hubby to pour onto his yogurt, the rest gets frozen.

Oh, agreed! What I love about blueberries is how easy they are. We pick them, I rinse them off and dump them in freezer bags, and we use them to whole year through. No prep, just freeze and add to pancakes, muffins, cobblers. These raspberries were rained on all week and turned to mush so quickly, especially since I had to leave them out overnight. Maybe I'll just toss them in bags and into the freezer and deal with them later...?

If nothing else, I'd toss them in the freezer just as they are and you can thaw portions out to add to ice cream or in smoothies or to make raspberry cordial.

Well that is a lot, but I'm jealous that you have fresh berries! Enjoy eating them!

No problem, I've booked the next flight out. We are a family of major raspberry lovers... All will be eaten within 24hrs! :D

Friends, I thought of you all as I tossed pound after pound of raspberries to the calves and chickens. Shame! Guilt! Trust me, it wasn't merely an act of frustration; they got moldy and buggy so quickly, very sad. But I have a couple dozen pints of raspberry jam in the freezer, along with some topping for ice cream and quite a few that are IQF. Very pricey jars of jam, I might add!:tongue_smilie:

Next up: blueberry picking later this week.

Friends, I thought of you all as I tossed pound after pound of raspberries to the calves and chickens. Shame! Guilt! Trust me, it wasn't merely an act of frustration; they got moldy and buggy so quickly, very sad. But I have a couple dozen pints of raspberry jam in the freezer, along with some topping for ice cream and quite a few that are IQF. Very pricey jars of jam, I might add!:tongue_smilie:

Next up: blueberry picking later this week.

I skimmed the thread. Would you have been able to puree them (food processor or blender-style)? I know it's after the fact, but as I read your OP, that's the one thought that came to mind. I was imagining that a raspberry puree would have worked for smoothies, jams, ice cream, homemade Poptarts. :lol:

I know the feeling of overload on abundance. I spent two weeks staring at a glut of apples on my countertop (which, clearly, last much longer than berries). In desperation, I finally cooked them for applesauce, but I've yet to run them through the food mill. Sigh.

I skimmed the thread. Would you have been able to puree them (food processor or blender-style)? I know it's after the fact, but as I read your OP, that's the one thought that came to mind.

Now there's a thought! I have and use so few appliances, I didn't even think about my blender. But I did "puree" quite a few with a potato masher. My reality, though, was that Hans and the boys came home in the early evening with all these berries. I dealt with them for several hours that night and by the next morning, a good many were already past the point of no return. I would've had to stay up most of the night to make use of them all. I've btdt in the past and just wasn't willing to go there again, kwim?

Apples ~ oh yeah, those are coming up. I've got a couple of hundred transluscents that'll be applesauce material right about next week ~ when I'm busy at the fair, of course.:tongue_smilie:

Oh do I miss raspberries! They are non-exsistent here. We've got the biggest blackberries I've ever seen in my entire life, but, no raspberries, my favs! When we were home in Feb. we ate frozen raspberries by the bag!

Are Chilean raspberries not sold in the markets there? Do the blackberries grow wild? It's so funny in Germany and Switzerland to see blackberry bushes intentionally planted in gardens. They grow wild everywhere here. This area is definitely berry-friendly. Loganberries and boysenberries are two of my favorites.:)

Are Chilean raspberries not sold in the markets there? Do the blackberries grow wild? It's so funny in Germany and Switzerland to see blackberry bushes intentionally planted in gardens. They grow wild everywhere here. This area is definitely berry-friendly. Loganberries and boysenberries are two of my favorites.:)

No, I haven't seen them! The blackberries, I believe, are farmed. They are really huge. At least 3 times the size of the biggest one I've seen in the States. They make great pies!

If I didn't live on the other side of the continent I'd be happy to take several pounds off your hands. :001_smile:

:iagree: If there wasn't half an ocean between me and those berries, I'd be more than willing to help get rid of them! I am the raspberry queen... w/ a raspberry princess in training (dd9)!

Exactly! I can picture Colleen's kitchen cupboards stuffed with Poptarts, can't you? ;)

:D I've on occasion bought Nature's Path unfrosted "toaster pastries" (as they call them) for snacks. But I remember when I was younger (uh, way younger) and pop tarts first hit the stores. They were so gross! Not that I didn't eat my share of junk, but frosted pop tarts...bleh.:ack2:

:D I've on occasion bought Nature's Path unfrosted "toaster pastries" (as they call them) for snacks. But I remember when I was younger (uh, way younger) and pop tarts first hit the stores. They were so gross! Not that I didn't eat my share of junk, but frosted pop tarts...bleh.:ack2:

Well, she did specifically say, "homemade," but the term Poptarts and your name in the same sentence cracked me up! :D