Menu

Free History curriculum, 2 of 3 parts posted

kristi26

Hi! I hope this is okay to post here...

I recently put together my own History curriculum using lots of different booklists available for free online that I'll be using next year with my 8th, 5th, and 2nd graders using materials we either already own or can easily get for free online and from the library. I thought some others might be interested in using it as well so I thought I'd offer up the link to it here. My plan is to cover 1550 through 1850 using Story of the World 3 and History of US 2-5 as the spines.

Let me know what you all think of it and if there are any issues with it at all! :) Thanks!

http://themommywrite...bookshands.html

ETA: Here's the second of the three terms as well! http://themommywrite...kshands_17.html

I would really love to read your blog and learn about this, but I'm afraid my old eyes can't handle the white type on a purple background. :( (Ouch)

Thanks for the constructive criticism! I made a change to it so that it's black type on white. Hopefully that's better! ;)

Wow, I can't believe you changed it because one old cranky woman commented! It looks great. I love the purple background. Also you have cute kids.

I felt so curmudgeonly telling you that. "Hey, kid, get off my lawn." I remember being annoyed, several years ago, when I first noticed people giving that kind of feedback on blogs. That's because I was younger and honestly didn't understand that 40 year old eyes are easily punctured by too-bright colors. LOL But now I'm the one with old eyes....

anyway, your blog AND your curriculum look great. Homeschoolers need more lists of suggestions to keep as many grades as possible together for history, centered around a few spines, without having to buy an expensive packaged program. I think you'll find people will be glad to use your plan for this era. They will probably ask you to compile more of the same.

Wow....you are so kind for sharing all of your hard work. This is EXACTLY what I was going to do for next year (minus the little kids), so you just saved me a lot of time this summer. Now, I just need to add in Map Trek for mapwork and I will be set. Many thanks!

Wow....you are so kind for sharing all of your hard work. This is EXACTLY what I was going to do for next year (minus the little kids), so you just saved me a lot of time this summer. Now, I just need to add in Map Trek for mapwork and I will be set. Many thanks!

Ah! Glad you said that! I have a book of outline maps that I got from the Dollar Days sale that I planned to add in and use based on the area being studied if that helps! :)

Wow, I can't believe you changed it because one old cranky woman commented! It looks great. I love the purple background. Also you have cute kids.

I felt so curmudgeonly telling you that. "Hey, kid, get off my lawn." I remember being annoyed, several years ago, when I first noticed people giving that kind of feedback on blogs. That's because I was younger and honestly didn't understand that 40 year old eyes are easily punctured by too-bright colors. LOL But now I'm the one with old eyes....

anyway, your blog AND your curriculum look great. Homeschoolers need more lists of suggestions to keep as many grades as possible together for history, centered around a few spines, without having to buy an expensive packaged program. I think you'll find people will be glad to use your plan for this era. They will probably ask you to compile more of the same.

Eh, I figure if one person SAID it, lots more were thinking it! ;) So it needed changing.

Thanks for the kind words! I plan to put together a list of what we did this year (for middle ages) eventually and will do one for the following year for modern times when we get there. It's been a lot of fun. :)

Cool! Have you done this for other time periods as well?

I haven't completed any other time periods yet. I'm in the process of fixing up the final of the three terms for 1550 through 1850 and then will work on the Middle Ages (which is totally backward, lol, but it's what we did THIS year).

Thanks!!

Except gee, stop planning for next year and do this year - because that is where I am "right now"!!!! :D LOL!!!

I actually have a feeling our sequence is going to go 2 -> 1 -> 3 -> 4

I let the kids vote 2 weeks ago on ancients vs medieval, and medieval won - except I don't quite think the 8 yo knew what she was skipping until now. :D

Thank you! I like seeing other people's free organized schedules like that. :) I couldn't access the second term--maybe because I'm international?

Hmm...just tried the link again myself and it opened for me? Maybe try a different browser? I'm using Chrome if that helps.

Thanks!!

Except gee, stop planning for next year and do this year - because that is where I am "right now"!!!! :D LOL!!!

I actually have a feeling our sequence is going to go 2 -> 1 -> 3 -> 4

I let the kids vote 2 weeks ago on ancients vs medieval, and medieval won - except I don't quite think the 8 yo knew what she was skipping until now. :D

Lol. I have it started but it is nowhere near ready! It'll take me awhile to get it to share-worthy status, sorry! ;)

Hi! I hope this is okay to post here...

I recently put together my own History curriculum using lots of different booklists available for free online that I'll be using next year with my 8th, 5th, and 2nd graders using materials we either already own or can easily get for free online and from the library. I thought some others might be interested in using it as well so I thought I'd offer up the link to it here. My plan is to cover 1550 through 1850 using Story of the World 3 and History of US 2-5 as the spines.

Let me know what you all think of it and if there are any issues with it at all! :) Thanks!

http://themommywrite...bookshands.html

ETA: Here's the second of the three terms as well! http://themommywrite...kshands_17.html

I cannot access the second document.

This is great! I was just wishing someone had already done a SCM-format-y plan with different spine/books/extras (namely, stuff I already had collected). And, I was just going to do something myself.... but this is even better. Totally tweakable, but enough structure to not be starting from scratch.

Thank you SO much for offering this to the general public.

You're amazing!

Sarah

Awesome! Btw, what spine are you using for Middle Ages?

Tara

For the first part, we are using Story of the World 2 and Famous Men of the Middle Ages, along with pieces from The Story of Mankind and The Story of Europe (the last 3 are available for free on www.mainlesson.com). :)