Menu

Floridians, I am so sorry . . .

KungFuPanda

So it appears there are also giant flying cockroach type insects in Florida? I'm ordering up a bunch of TNT right now ...

Yes. The gigantic flying cockroaches are what are referred to as "palmetto bugs." Texas has bigger roaches, but they scuttle on the ground like roaches should.

I've never had python, but gator jerkey is tasty and rattlesnake tastes a lot like chicken. I'd probably give eating the snails a go. Cut into chunks it's bound to be like any other escargot, chewy and any flavor easily hidden in sauce.

Thinking about Florida makes me glad I'm in Arizona. I was stationed in Florida for a couple of years and would not care to go back to live.

Not sure if she picks the cases she goes after or not, but seriously FL seems to come up often. I remember watching when that Casey Anthony thing went down. Wowzers. Weeks and weeks of it on her show. And then there was that other little girl in FL right after she wound down on the Anthony case. I stopped watching after that. Crazy. Didn't y'all have that face-eating guy, too? Uh... I'll stop there. :leaving:

I've got an uncle and aunt in Loxahatchee. I have on idea where that is. They say it's lovely. With almost no gators. Maybe it's time for a visit. I'll smash some snails while I'm there. :p

I have an aunt and uncle in Loxahatchee too, and I have been to visit. There may not be any gators in your family's yard, but...if there is fresh(ish) water in Florida, it has gators at least occasionally.

It truly is lovely there.

Guest inoubliable

I have an aunt and uncle in Loxahatchee too, and I have been to visit. There may not be any gators in your family's yard, but...if there is fresh(ish) water in Florida, it has gators at least occasionally.

It truly is lovely there.

Yikes! The used to live in West Royal Palm Beach... I have no idea where that is either... and they did talk about gators there. Or at least while they lived there, it came up in conversation. Uncle is a big golfer. He talked about gators on the green. Uh. Yeah. Not golfing. I had scenes of Happy Gilmore flashing in my mind and I like my arm!

No kidding! I've been musing over this thread title thinking there's likely not much here that Emeril LaGasse couldn't cure with a few good recipes.

Of course, you have to keep in mind I grew up in the swamps and have eaten my fair share of alligator and marinated snails.

Never eaten snake but I'm thinking roasted over a campfire with some Montreal steak seasoning might be the way to go.

Sorry if anyone finds this comment shocking. What really needs to happen is serious pet trade reform and über stiff penalties for people who release non-indigent species into the wild. Yeah, roasted over a campfire again comes to mind...

I know what you meant, but this made me laugh: we only want your poor, needy species!

So my inlaws have a condo on Marathon Key that we've stayed at twice now. My husband loves the keys; I can't get over the heat, personally. (I mean, I *am* born and raised in Michigan.)

We enjoy seeing all the lizards and snails (so long as they stay outside), and even the snakes and alligators. But we haven't seen any palmetto bugs. Trust me, I'd remember THAT. Are they not in the keys?

Florida has many wild, exotic wildlife animals that people should be aware of. Alligators, while dangerous, are just a part of life here. For the most part, if you leave them alone, they won't bother you. The best course of action is educating yourself about them. My boys know when they are in the backyard, to stay away from the creek; not just because of the alligators, but because of the other wildlife that use the waterhole. Since moving to this area (came from a more urban area of Florida), we have seen wild turkeys, hawks, large owls, large raccoons, possum, snakes, small foxes, feral cats (my biggest concern regarding my boys), heron of all types, turtles, green anole lizards (would LOVE one of those), geckos, and of course, our alligator pair.

Living here has given us an up-close observation of natural habitats and how the ecosystem works (thankfully, we haven't encountered the pythons up here like we did in Southwest Florida so far). It has been a positive experience for us. :)

So my inlaws have a condo on Marathon Key that we've stayed at twice now. My husband loves the keys; I can't get over the heat, personally. (I mean, I *am* born and raised in Michigan.)

We enjoy seeing all the lizards and snails (so long as they stay outside), and even the snakes and alligators. But we haven't seen any palmetto bugs. Trust me, I'd remember THAT. Are they not in the keys?

Oh yes, they most certainly are in the Keys! They are everywhere in this state, but they really like areas near water. Be thankful you didn't see any. Once you've had one fly at you, you will never be the same. Truly the stuff horror movies are made of....*shudder*

Sorry if anyone finds this comment shocking. What really needs to happen is serious pet trade reform and über stiff penalties for people who release non-indigent species into the wild. Yeah, roasted over a campfire again comes to mind...

:hurray:

if there is fresh(ish) water in Florida, it has gators at least occasionally.

Yes. It's safest to always assume there are gators in fresh water.

The best course of action is educating yourself about them.

When I was single I owned a condo that was attached to 3 others. There was an eastern indigo snake prowling around (slithering? can snakes really prowl lol?) our building and had been the talk of the condos. We had a new family from out of state renting one of the units. I hadn't had much contact with them other than a few neighborly hellos. One day I came home from work and they were standing outside with a shovel proudly proclaiming that they killed the snake. WHAT? You &%$%^ idiots!!! That's a threatened and protected species that keeps venomous snakes away. They. Killed. It. Just because it existed.

I wish anyone who moves to a different state (any state, not just mine) would educate themselves about the local wildlife before taking any kind of action against an animal that is doing nothing to harm anyone.

I know what you meant, but this made me laugh: we only want your poor, needy species!

Ha! Of course I meant non-native. Now the right word is totally escaping me...

Indigenous. That's what I meant to say the first time. Non-indigenous species are a growing part of Florida's animal population.

When I was single I owned a condo that was attached to 3 others. There was an eastern indigo snake prowling around (slithering? can snakes really prowl lol?) our building and had been the talk of the condos. We had a new family from out of state renting one of the units. I hadn't had much contact with them other than a few neighborly hellos. One day I came home from work and they were standing outside with a shovel proudly proclaiming that they killed the snake. WHAT? You &%$%^ idiots!!! That's a threatened and protected species that keeps venomous snakes away. They. Killed. It. Just because it existed.

I wish anyone who moves to a different state (any state, not just mine) would educate themselves about the local wildlife before taking any kind of action against an animal that is doing nothing to harm anyone.

:(

We had a retired couple move into the neighborhood a few years ago that did the same thing. When we tried to explain to them the benefits of having those snakes around, the wife pipes up with, "I don't care what kind of snake it is...if it comes in my yard, I want it dead." Sigh.

Forgot to mention the legless lizards. The first time I saw one I caught it and spent an hour researching what it was. It has the face of a lizard, and the diameter of a lizard body...but it's long like a snake. Strange, and fascinating creature.

Florida also has Panthers (gorgeous), bears, manatees, sea turtles, and a ton of really beautiful animals. Don't let the bugs scare you away. The lizards (and some snakes) really enjoy munching on the palmetto bugs. For that reason ALONE, I leave the reptiles alone to do their job. ;)

Yes, we've got many happily prancing lizards in our lanai, harmless to us as far as I can tell. And I've NEVER seen a cockroach in the lanai, I suppose the lizards consider them appetizers. We've had very few bug problems in the house, either, but most people I know do have a pest control service, ours comes out quarterly. But up north my brothers and I would tromp through the woods, fields, and gullies on a regular basis, I'd never let my kids do that here, who knows what they could run into! We stick to paved paths through landscaped parks now.

"Ceviche is a popular cool tropical no-cook dish in Florida, served in restaurants everywhere."

I must eat at the wrong restaurants. Or maybe I live in the wrong part of Florida. I've lived in Florida for 44 years and have never seen it on any menu anywhere. :lol:

Seriously? I've seen it in the menu in many a Florida restaurant, especially the farther south you go. Even the tropical-themed chains like Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Restaurant - had some awesome conch ceviche at the Key West location years ago.

I've also had it at Bonefish Grill, but wouldn't recommend theirs. Not the best.

Seriously? I've seen it in the menu in many a Florida restaurant, especially the farther south you go. Even the tropical-themed chains like Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Restaurant - had some awesome conch ceviche at the Key West location years ago.

I've also had it at Bonefish Grill, but wouldn't recommend theirs. Not the best.

I live in East Central Florida. I've never been to either Bonefish Grill or Margaritaville, but have been to many, many different local seafood restaurants over the years, and seriously I've never seen it. I suspect it's more popular farther south than where I live.

"Ceviche is a popular cool tropical no-cook dish in Florida, served in restaurants everywhere."

I must eat at the wrong restaurants. Or maybe I live in the wrong part of Florida. I've lived in Florida for 44 years and have never seen it on any menu anywhere. :lol:

I live in East Central Florida. I've never been to either Bonefish Grill or Margaritaville, but have been to many, many different local seafood restaurants over the years, and seriously I've never seen it. I suspect it's more popular farther south than where I live.

Ceviche is on the menu of nearly every Mexican restaurant here in SoCAL. I suspect it's more common on a Latin menu than a seafood restaurant menu.

I love, love, love Ceviche.

Ceviche is on the menu of nearly every Mexican restaurant here in SoCAL. I suspect it's more common on a Latin menu than a seafood restaurant menu.

I love, love, love Ceviche.

If true, that would explain why it's more popular in South Florida than other parts of the state.

ETA: It does sound delicious.

If true, that would explain why it's more popular in South Florida than other parts of the state.

ETA: It does sound delicious.

I've seen it in FL panhandle restaurants along the beach, but yes, I think this must be the case - more common the further south you go. I have eaten it most often in the Caribbean and in coastal Central America.

That linked article says Peru is the self proclaimed ceviche capitol of the world, so it makes sense.

It *is* yummy!