Menu

Is there anything inappropriate in Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl?

I wanted my 8th grade son to read it. (I think) I am careful about what they read...I don't want sensual stuff. I didn't know if she went through anything awful (um, rape...) that might be in that book?

I would really appreciate your thoughts if you have read the book...

Thanks so much!

Well, the diary stops just before they were captured, so there is nothing about her time in the camp. As for 'sensual' I am assuming you mean sexual. I think (having to remember back to my reading it when in middle school) I think there is an oblique reference to her telling her mom that she didn't sit 'miles apart' from the teenage boy who was in hiding with them. But, I didn't understand what she was saying at the time. It isn't a focus of the story.

It is a very fast read so, you might want to read it yourself to double check. Especially if you are very careful, you might not want to trust my recollection.

hopefully someone will jump in and help us, but when I read it yrs ago, I remember being surprised because there was quite a bit of her thinking about sex or something like that. I don't know, but I just remember thinking I shouldn't let my dd read it when the time came. I *think* there is a "cleaned up" version though? Anybody help us on this?

One of the greatest books ever. If you google the title, you can find sparknotes on it that will tell you all the details you may be questioning. I do know there is a chapter on her starting her period and hitting puberty, but I do not remember any of the above listed being anywhere in the book and I did not read the abridged or edited version in school.

According to World Cat, the Definitive Edition "contains entries about Anne's burgeoning sexuality and confrontations with her mother that were cut from previous editions."

If you decide that you want the edition with heavier editing, I think that you will have to look for an older, out-of-print version. To the best of my knowledge, the pre-Definitive version is no longer in print in English...but I might be wrong about that.

BTW, I highly recommend taking the virtual tour through the Anne Frank house.

I have my copy in my hands - it is copyrighted 1958, and a "Pocket Classic" with an ISBN # of 0-671-83546-7.

I remember having issues a couple of years ago finding a copy for my daughter to read - my local library does not own a copy of it! (or didn't at the time). I was irked (i hadn't found the box with mine in it yet).

I'm assuming that I have the edited version?!?!

ETA: And to the OP - I would also highly suggest you read it.... not only is it a good book, but it will be easier to get into a conversation about it - which I would think you would want to be able to do.

I have my copy in my hands - it is copyrighted 1958, and a "Pocket Classic" with an ISBN # of 0-671-83546-7.

The Definitive Edition came out some time in the late 1980s / early 1990s...sorry I am not exactly sure of the date. So, yes - sounds like you have the earlier edition that Anne's father, Otto Frank, edited.

I'll leave it for others to discuss which version is "better." What I find fascinating is that Anne herself started to rewrite her diary with an eye toward publication.

The Definitive Edition came out some time in the late 1980s / early 1990s...sorry I am not exactly sure of the date. So, yes - sounds like you have the earlier edition that Anne's father, Otto Frank, edited.

I'll leave it for others to discuss which version is "better."

Well, I'm pretty sure the version I have I would let my younger kids read - but I'd like to get a copy of the unedited one to read for myself.

What I find fascinating is that Anne herself started to rewrite her diary with an eye toward publication.

I'm going to resist clicking on that right now.... I have homework to do - some even due today! I made the mistake of clicking on the house tour earlier :glare: :lol:

If you get the definitive version released after her father's death, there is a bit about her developing awareness of her body, and her sexu@lity, including a bit about her spending the night at a friend's house, and wanting to touch her friend's bOOks, as well as a couple of boy-related fantasies, etc. The edited version, on the other hand, would be fine for an 8th grader to read.

At some point you throw up your hands, admit an 8th gr boy is probably going through puberty himself and feeling those things (meaning you discuss and move on) or he just misses it. There comes a point where you turn the corner and let the stuff start being in there so you can discuss on your turf.

True, OhElizabeth. I do not deny that he is probably feeling all kinds of things himself. We haven't rounded that corner in our discussions yet, though. But, I don't want him reading things that could cause him to stumble either. Fine line, in my opinion.

When I was growing up, my dear, well meaning mother felt that so long as I was reading that was a good thing...without a lot of concern over what I was reading. I don't think it had good fruit in my life. So, I don't want to make that same mistake. Not having read Anne Frank, I'm just not sure about it.

Even as an adult, I am careful what I read.

And I'm not really wanting to offend you there. I'm a G-rated movie person myself. However there are issues that should be discussed. Yes, they're in Anne Frank. If you don't want to discuss those yet, then it's best to pass. And personally, I don't think it's the type of book that should just be handed to a child with no discussion, s*xual issues aside. It's about mature themes (the Holocaust, death, etc.), and that should be talked about. So maybe at this time you'd rather just watch the movie, where you'll be together, and move on. It's not really the type of book I would just hand someone. I'd expect to talk about it.

You know for some reason I was looking at your list of kids and thought we were talking about your oldest. I read Anne Frank in 8th, but really I could see saving it for later. Might be something that is fine later and just not *now*. Might be really young, depending on the child, etc. I haven't required my dd to read it. We watched part of the movie and she got up and left. It isn't really an age when they want to be so morbid.

If you want an alternate, Bartoletti has a couple amazing books on the Hitler Youth Movement that will be able the same reading level, age-appropriate, and extremely thought-provoking. There's also a really good PBS video (name slips my mind, I can find it if you want or maybe someone remembers) on women who rescued children during the Holocaust. Again, thought-provoking on the topic but skips the issues you're concerned about.

Here's a link on that lady. Amazing documentary. You can probably get it through the library or online or something. http://www.aish.com/ho/p/Irenas_Children.html

I do not deny that he is probably feeling all kinds of things himself. We haven't rounded that corner in our discussions yet, though. But, I don't want him reading things that could cause him to stumble either. Fine line, in my opinion.

We did Anne Frank in high school with two DSs. The very short bits that might cause concern are not likely to cause a young man to stumble. They did not cause problems here, at any rate -- although, perhaps we had an edited version??

I think the real problem in doing it with boys is that it is NOT really a book about WW2, or Jews in hiding, but is a very "teen girl" kind of book. It is the thoughts of a girl moving into physical and emotional maturity, with a lot about the emotions and frustrations she was feeling toward her mother, and her attraction to various boys.

I'm not saying it isn't good for boys to see how girls think, but... DSs really didn't "get" it, and weren't very interested in the book, especially the more emotional/relational parts and the brief/non-graphic "sexual awakening" parts.

If you are wanting to do Anne Frank to cover a particular aspect of WW2 and to open the door of discussion on topics of "ethnic cleansing," what it is like to be on the receiving end of brutal oppression, and non-battle front issues, then I would have to say that I think our DSs got more connections and more discussion mileage out of other resources:

- going through the National Holocaust Museum (if you do nothing else -- very powerful, while not graphic or trying to dwell on the horrors)

- Paper Clips (documentary, how collecting 6 million paper clips gave school children a very sobering understanding of just how many people were killed in the concentration camps)

- Night and Fog (documentary, showing the camps at liberation)

- Sophie Scholl (movie, true story of a young woman (and her brother) who pay the price for standing on her convictions against Nazi regime)

- The Counterfeiters (movie, based on true story; ethics and choices within a concentration camp)

- The Hiding Place (autobiography; hiding Jews, life in a concentration camp)

- Escape from Warsaw (historical fiction based on a real family; children separated from parents during WW2, how they survived, and trying to find them afterwards)

- After the War (historical fiction based on a real person; Jewish teen trying to find her family after the war, and ultimately ending up in newly-formed Israel)

- All Quiet on the Western Front (horrors of war -- although that's WW1 not WW2)

- The Road Home (biography of a real woman; Turkish genocide of Armenians in WW1)

Just our experience! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS-- ETA

Just wanted to add that, in reading it again as an adult, I, too, was very moved at how young Anne was, yet how mature she was, with a great gift of writing. It made the reading so poignant knowing her future was cut short. The diary is a terrific work if you are would like to see wonderful personal writing / journal writing in action. And of course, the times/circumstances in which this diary were written make it that much more powerful and poignant.

I think the real problem in doing it with boys is that it is NOT really a book about WW2, or Jews in hiding, but is a very "teen girl" kind of book. It is the thoughts of a girl moving into physical and emotional maturity, with a lot about the emotions and frustrations she was feeling toward her mother, and her attraction to various boys.

I'm not saying it isn't good for boys to see how girls think, but... DSs really didn't "get" it, and weren't very interested in the book, especially the more emotional/relational parts and the brief/non-graphic "sexual awakening" parts.

I read the edited version it some time in middle school and remember being very confused by it. Where was the history? It was a real diary with a little history. And for whatever reason the rest just didn't interest me at all.

Then later I read the full version as an adult when it came out. And I enjoyed more as a teenage diary. It made me so sad to think that she never grew up.

So with my own kids, I decided to skip it. Maybe DD will read it later, but I went with other WW II resources that I believe show the period better.

YMMV...

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I appreciate it. I think I'll just skip it. I don't really think my ds would be that interested in it.

I will use something else to cover that time period.

Btw, OhElizabeth, I am not offended at all. Your thoughts are always welcome. I hope I didn't come across wrong. You always have a fresh and thought provoking view of things that I really appreciate!

Lori D, thank you so much for listing those resources! I will check into them.

Blessings everyone!

thank you so much for listing those resources! I will check into them.

Just need to WARN you: the following are INTENSE, and I (conservative Christian) used them with older (high school aged) DSs:

- Night and Fog -- emotionally draining; intense images of starving prisoners, piles of dead bodies; 11th or 12th grade

- Sophie Scholl -- serious themes, emotionally draining; 11th or 12th grade

- The Counterfeiters -- serious themes, brief nudity, images of concentration camp; 11th or 12th grade

These books are less intense:

- The Hiding Place -- 8th grade or above; not sugar-coated, but strong faith and Christian themes throughout, and ultimately very inspiring -- you might also watch the movie of the book, tastefully done, do-able for grade 8+

- Escape from Warsaw -- 8th grade or above

- After the War -- 8th grade or above

- The Road Home -- 8th grade or above

For "gentler" materials, you might consider something like the Newberry book, Number the Stars (grade 5-8) -- helping Jews escape.

Edited by Lori D.

Thank you so much, Lori. I forgot about Number the Stars. I had considered The Hiding Place. Such a disturbing period of history, don't you think? It is hard to figure out how to handle it. I think the Hiding Place may work, although I find the movie difficult to watch. Not because of how it is done. . .just because it is an intense theme. Yet, as you say, Corrie's faith is so admirable. Maybe that is the way to go.

Thank you very much for clarifying the ages you used the various titles...very helpful.

What about The Endless Steppe? It is a true story about Jewish persecution in WW2, but in contrast to Anne Frank, the family is sent to Siberia as slaves. I found this a very good alternative to Anne Frank and will be using it with my 8th grade boy next year. It is not pretty, but it not at all sexual and is not a teen diary. I believe the author was about 50 when she wrote this autobiography of her life at age 12.

Ruth in NZ

I remember borrowing Diary of Anne Frank from the school library when I was in 7th grade. That must have been 1964, lol, so it was the old version. It really, really had a impact on my life. This was before there was such a thing as Holocaust Observance month. I don't ever remember studying the Holocaust in school, although surely we must have. Perhaps it was all too familiar -- my father was in the Bataan Death March, so naturally, our family was very in-tune to any of the WWII atrocities, Japanese or German)- so I didn't notice. But I sure remember reading Anne Frank.

As far as shocking, I only remember being surprised that girls in Germany in the 30's had boyfriends so early (11 or so) but the relationships were innocent. I do remember Anne talking about her period (shocking in an age when you couldn't advertise anything having to do with feminine hygiene) but I took it for granted. It might be a little uncomfortable for an 8th grade boy to read, but hey, surely he knows about girls' periods by now and I think it is better to be matter of fact (as she is in the book) rather than oh-let's-keep-it-quiet-because-it-pertains-to-sexuality-and-only-speak-of-it-when-referring-to-women's-emotions. I do believe Anne thought of it in terms of womanhood and what womanhood would mean.

Yes, she spoke a little about sexuality later, sometimes regarding Peter, a boy hidden away with her (although they didn't do anything - it wasn't really lustful thoughts, just wondering) and yes, she got irritated with her mother. But this was her diary. Are we going to say our kids should deny any thoughts they have (are bound to have!) or should we teach them there are appropriate responses and appropriate places (like diaries) to express them?

It just wasn't that risque. I mean, I was as innocent as can be in 7th grade (not at all like a 7th grader today) and the only thing remotely sexual that shocked me was the fact that German girls in that era walked to the candy store and movies with boys. And the good much outweighed any bad (if there was bad). Reading about the holocaust is one thing; reading about a girl;s actual thoughts while growing up as it is happening to her is quite another. She is so human --- so "every person." Yet, this happened to her.

Perhaps I also liked it because it did make what happened to my father more real -- or, rather made him more real in the midst of death, starvation and torture he suffered through (Read the book, Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March to learn about that - well, not him specifically but some of those with him), but whatever, it is a lesson we all need to understand very personally.Not just factually. But personally. And Anne Frank's Diary is very personal.