Menu

a question for the dog owners

HappyLady

Out of curiosity, if you had a friend that brought their dog over to your house when they visited (so your dog could play with theirs), who would you expect to "clean up" after the visiting dog? Should the owner of the home just deal with having to search the yard for "presents" or should the visiting friend offer to go in the yard and find what their dog left behind?

I have dogs over to play all the time and do not expect their owners to clean up. I make my kids do it! ;) Now, if the owner is visiting with the dog and happens to witness a "present," it would be sweet of them to offer but not expected. We do a twice weekly yard sweep and that is enough for me.

My dd has a dog- a puppy that is getting larger and larger and will be a fairly large dog- boxer/german shepherd mixed with some small varieties like corgi.. I totally expect her or her fiance to clean up after the dog. BUt the dog cannot run around in our yard- only on a leash or a tie down. If he is tied down, like he was a few times when he was here, all they have to do is patrol the area where he could actually go. WHen they were here with him, they took him on walks and cleaned up and then he was either in a crate, which they cleaned or on a leash being supervised by one of them.

If I am visiting someone who doesn't own a dog (or if I take a large dog and they have a small dog) I clean up after myself. If I am visiting someone with dogs, I usually don't unless I witness it happening. I'm not going to look around the yard and try and figure out which ones my dog left and which ones their dog left. In my yard, it maybe gets cleaned up every couple months (the dog runs get cleaned once a week) so I don't expect anyone else to clean up after their dogs.

Not if we're visiting and the dogs are unsupervised. If we were walking them on leashes it would be different, but it's ridiculous to expect them to roam the yard and be able to identify what their dog left behind. I might expect it if I had a prestine yard and no dog of my own.

In our yard- we don't clean up. We let nature take care of it. :D

Do you have a really small dog? I can't imagine not picking up after mine, every few days or we'd not be able to walk around easily in our yard. It takes a good bit of time for the packages from a 70lb dog to be dealt with by nature.

Do you have a really small dog? I can't imagine not picking up after mine, every few days or we'd not be able to walk around easily in our yard. It takes a good bit of time for the packages from a 70lb dog to be dealt with by nature.

Nope. Well, we do now, as we just have a puppy, but our dog that died in Sept. was 90 lbs. We have a really, large yard!