Menu

I just bought a bunch of new curriculum...

Ghee

I'm almost done stocking up for next year. I just hit the payment button for Rainbow Resource (first time I've ever ordered from them, can I get my laminated homeschool mom card now? LOL) I think this is when most people start getting excited and antsy to get their hands on the BOX.... I just feel a little queasy. Good gosh I have spent some money over the last few weeks. I *am* excited to use the new stuff, I just don't want to BUY it *knees feeling shaky*

I tell myself this is the same as me buying three kids worth of school supplies (that they don't use) at the beginning of the year, paying "workbook" fees, paying for supplies for classes they don't want to take/don't study or practice for (I'm looking at YOU, Miss "Let's make all the 5th graders learn to play recorder"), all of the times I paid $15 for my ONE kid to see a movie on a field trip, in a cheaply made class shirt, all of the copays to the dr and for meds for the bugs they picked up at school....... it isn't really working LOL

I won't feel so :ack2: when I open up all the boxes I have coming, right?..........RIGHT?!

Thanks, we've only been homeschooling for a bit over a year now. When I pulled the kids out of PS, I knew we had a lot of gap filling to do and I wasn't sure what curriculums to look at for them. I ended up only buying a few genuine curriculums and winging the rest, which has been fine, but is tiresome. I'm hoping the "already pulled together" will be so awesome that it outweighs the price. I'm SOOOO tired of building my own. It was fun, now I'm done :)

ETA: I will say we were at the dr's and taking medicine once a month while in school (at least 2 of the 4 of us at any time). The kids have each been once for illness, I've been twice. ALL. YEAR. LONG. *knock wood knock wood knock wood* So that is a significant savings. Of course, they are wanting to do a bunch of extra curricular stuff next year, so that will probably mean GeRmS! Le Sigh ;)

I just told my husband today that I need to look up the tuition for the local private school. When he asked why, I said so I could feel better about what I'm spend on curriculum! LOL!! I'm the same way you are. I'm very excited to start new stuff, but I hate to spend the money. I tend to look at things and put them in my cart over and over for several days or weeks before finally submitting my order. I always hesitate even though I need the stuff and I'm excited about it. It's a catch 22.

But, once I get it, I'm excited. You will be too. Box day is so much fun!! :)

You could be me: paying private school tuition AND buying homeschool curriculum for afterschooling! Now that can make one feel sick!

We are overseas. DD goes to school in the native language during the day, I afterschool English reading, writing, and history which isn't covered in the school. I'm going to add math because she's struggling there, and zoology for fun - her choice. I am starting to look at it as more a dual enrollment situation.

Still makes my stomach flip flop sometimes.

I just told my husband today that I need to look up the tuition for the local private school. When he asked why, I said so I could feel better about what I'm spend on curriculum! LOL!! I'm the same way you are. I'm very excited to start new stuff, but I hate to spend the money. I tend to look at things and put them in my cart over and over for several days or weeks before finally submitting my order. I always hesitate even though I need the stuff and I'm excited about it. It's a catch 22.

But, once I get it, I'm excited. You will be too. Box day is so much fun!! :)

This is the way we look at it. My husband is a gem. He says it would cost x amount for private school, that's your budget.

It is a large chunk and makes you gulp. I still do every February when i place my order and I have done for a while now. I go through the second guessing because the total is eye popping. But when it is all paid for and the boxes start arriving I forget the cost.

Just remember, if it is not a consumable you can use it for your other children and it could be resold. This makes the cost come down in the long run.

Tuition and fees at our local private school would be over $4000 for my rising first grader. Homeschooling is a bargain at, oh, 10 times the price! Add in the fact that we have three more kids coming up behind him and I feel almost giddy over the amount we spend on school, especially since so many of our purchases are nonconsumables that we will be using for years to come.

My kids love it when a Rainbow Resource box arrives. I always have to wait until they are done browsing through it before I can enjoy the new stuff. Don't feel sick about it. New curriculum is very exciting! Enjoy your huge box when it arrives.

I love buying homeschool curricula! Rainbow is my favorite place to purchase from. I had a $75 credit with them and that was fun to spend this past week! You can enter their weekly product review contest and if they choose your entry you win a $25 credit. I also won a $50 credit on one of their facebook contests that they had in March.

You could be me: paying private school tuition AND buying homeschool curriculum for afterschooling! Now that can make one feel sick!

We are overseas. DD goes to school in the native language during the day, I afterschool English reading, writing, and history which isn't covered in the school. I'm going to add math because she's struggling there, and zoology for fun - her choice. I am starting to look at it as more a dual enrollment situation.

Still makes my stomach flip flop sometimes.

Oh dear! I might need therapy (which would be another expense lol)

This is the way we look at it. My husband is a gem. He says it would cost x amount for private school, that's your budget.

That is so sweet. Hang on to him! My husband lives in LaLa land. Apparently, I *should* be able to clothe, feed, and educate our kids for little to nothing. He doesn't have any clue how to do that, but I'm just "not really trying" ;)

It is a large chunk and makes you gulp. I still do every February when i place my order and I have done for a while now. I go through the second guessing because the total is eye popping. But when it is all paid for and the boxes start arriving I forget the cost.

Just remember, if it is not a consumable you can use it for your other children and it could be resold. This makes the cost come down in the long run.

Unfortunately a bunch of what I bought IS consumable. However, the teaching textbooks isn't (and that was a wad o' money right there), and I can reuse flash cards, games, and answer keys. My kids vary so much in learning style and needs that I'm not sure i could reuse everything anyway :p

I do think I can reuse a bunch of the text that I bought for my high schooler, and I can reuse literature materials (but may not get through them all with the youngest).

I love buying homeschool curricula! Rainbow is my favorite place to purchase from. I had a $75 credit with them and that was fun to spend this past week! You can enter their weekly product review contest and if they choose your entry you win a $25 credit. I also won a $50 credit on one of their facebook contests that they had in March.

Say What!?! That is awesome :)

If you are on Facebook, like their page. They occasionally have contests on there. Also, check out their website. They do a weekly drawing for the best product review. I won the product review and a couple of weeks later I won one of the fb contests. I never win anything and was so surprised and very happy!!

I always get buyer's remorse. I just put in my RR order last night. It's the lowest ever at $225. I have more from other sources to buy, but that's the big one. I always feel fine when I open the box, except for that big science flip board I bought last year for $30 and regret. LOL

Just a quick reminder that EVERYONE has buyer's remorse on a few things.

Everyone makes purchasing mistakes--it's just part of the homeschooling adventure.

Some things work; some things don't.

And that's why our homeschool group has Used Curriculum Sales this time of year. :-)

You will love watching your kids open the Box(es).