Menu

Natural deodorant that WORKS?

HSinNH

Okay, I tried the MoM today out of curiosity and wow, it worked like a charm. Absolutely no odor all. day. long. So now my question is *why* does it work. A google search yields no results. Any chemists care to chime in?

I have no chemistry training. A 2001 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, however, states that human sweat has a pH ranging from 3 to 5, which places perspiration in the acidic end of measurements. Milk of magnesia is alkaline. My "dummy conclusion" is that the MoM neutralizes the acidic perspiration.

If this is chemically true, then it seems implausible that vinegar would be effective.

:confused:

Witch hazel works well for me. I apply it with a cotton ball. I've noticed it works best if I shave my pits every day.

I think this is very, very helpful especially when you are transitioning to natural products. That's what I did. YOu can get some cosmetics rounds or cotton balls and presoak to make it even faster if you want. Do that maybe 2-3x a day, or give a quick swipe before you head out of the house, and then reapply deodorant. I still do that in the summer during the sweatiest days, or if I think I'm getting a tiny bit stinky :blush:

I use Nature's Gate lemongrass and clary sage. Works well for me, but I had to do the above initially. If you use the witch hazel, you are wiping out the bacteria that cause the odor in the first place. I found that helpful as I transitioned to natural products.

I don't have terribly sensitive skin, but any of the natural recipes or natural brands that use baking soda do not work for my skin. Baking soda can be very harsh on some people's skin. LIke I said, I'm not even that sensitive, but natural products with baking soda (Funk Butter, etc.) make my armpits feel burned and peely :(

eta: crystal spray works for me too, but the spray bottle clogged all. the. time. I would end up wiping it on with a cotton ball, so next time I would go with a solid form!

A 2001 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, however, states that human sweat has a pH ranging from 3 to 5, which places perspiration in the acidic end of measurements. Milk of magnesia is alkaline. My "dummy conclusion" is that the MoM neutralizes the acidic perspiration.

This is what I have read too, that MoM is highly, highly alkaline and thus not an effective breeding ground for microbes. There must be some truth to the extreme alkalinity because 24 hrs. later even after a bit of a sweaty night I am completely odor-free.

This is what I have read too, that MoM is highly, highly alkaline and thus not an effective breeding ground for microbes. There must be some truth to the extreme alkalinity because 24 hrs. later even after a bit of a sweaty night I am completely odor-free.

I went to Walmart today but only found MoM that contained other things I'd rather not put on my skin. Do any of you have a source for it without additives or flavorings? Thanks! I'd really love to try it. Tom's just isn't cutting it even though I always thought I didn't sweat much. Now that I don't use deodorants with aluminum, I find that I need something!

Try Philips (or a generic brand) in unflavored original. There should only be three ingredients listed. Under 'active ingredients' you'll see magnesium hydroxide and under 'inactive ingredients' you'll see purified water and sodium hypochlorite. The other option would be to purchase some magnesium oil but that is pretty $. People's Pharmacy sells a roll-on version. They've removed the sodium hypochlorite and added bentonite clay, caprylyl glycol and ethylhexylglycerin.

I have been using the plain MoM all week with great results, better than anything I've used in probably 15 years.