Menu

Child in school, never finishes work on time: how do schools accommodate? (Small update post 4-7-13)

SKL

My dd6, 1st grade, is consistently behind the class on completing work, and has been all year. She is not below grade level on knowledge/skills. She does have vision issues, probably APD, and possibly SPD (no test/diagnosis for the last two yet). She reportedly gets easily distracted in the school environment. From my observation, she has a good attitude and work ethic.

From your experience, do schools provide accommodations for a child who is slow to complete work? What would those accommodations be?

To date, the teacher has handled this by complaining, taking away recess, keeping her after school, and occasionally sending work home. This is an active, social child who needs her recess.

I'm thinking some better solutions might be to:

• Let it go if some busy work does not get done, especially work that is not graded.
  • Let her answer the unfinished questions orally instead of having to laboriously print.
  • Give her an extra few minutes and then send the unfinished work home, where she can focus in a quiet environment.

Thoughts?

From your experience, do schools provide accommodations for a child who is slow to complete work? What would those accommodations be?

It is not "my" experience but a friend's.

His boy just graduated from Columbia University last year. When he was little, the boy had some really bizzard issue. He can't write things down as fast/well as he thinks, but he can type. I know, it is weird... The Dad had him tested and the boy was gifted but do have some "issue". With the evulation, the school did accommdate him, as well as tests like SAT. I believe the Dad said he gets extra time and in a seperate room. So I guess if you think she does get it but slow. It might worth to have her do a psycology evaluation

The ideas you have are GREAT and reasonable...but some schools are not. So I would push for whatever they call the meetings before they do a IEP referral. If they won't do that I would push for a 504 plan and make sure it includes that recess should never be taken away for work not done.

I don't think you can get anything official without an IEP or 504 but sometimes you can work out something unofficial with the teacher. My DS had issues like this when he was in k and 1st. His problem was he was completely bored by the work and did not care. IMO, it was a discipline problem, but the teacher just thought it was too hard for him. He could have done it in no time if he wanted and always finished it at home within about 3min. The teacher just sent it all home with him and told me he needed to work on keeping up. I think in 1st it is reasonable to expect the teacher to send all unfinished work home with no further punishment. It's a natural consequence. I don't think it is fair to punish a child who is doing her best and needs more time. I really don't get how that's supposed to do anything except demoralize her and make it obvious to the other students that she's slower than them.

He can't write things down as fast/well as he thinks, but he can type.

That has been a real issue with me all my life -- I could never get the words written down before the train of thought (an express, every time) blasted through the station and on to further thoughts and developments. Things got better after I learned to type (in high school on manual typewriters), and then computers became more common, but sometimes the thoughts STILL move too fast.

For OP -- that description of your child sounds very like my DD11. Currently in private school (we will start homeschooling after the school year ends), had us and many teachers over the years stymied until we finally had her tested (again by a real neuropsych-- first time a few years ago was by someone useless).

Some past teachers (and the first tester, a speech therapist who branched out) thought my DD was deliberately recalcitrant, stubborn, and refusing to pay attention. The neuropsych who tested her this past August, however, said DD is ADHD (primarily inattentive) and truly CAN'T focus, even when she really wants to. DD also has a very slow processing speed -- it takes a while for her brain to put the information in the proper places. If you ask her a question right after covering some material (say you wanted to check to see if she is paying attention) she truly can't answer right then. However, ask her the same thing an hour later, even if you didn't cover any of it at all again in the intervening time, and she can spout back quite a lot.

And this goes on with her on a larger scale, too. For spelling if we start a coming week's list over the preceeding weekend she does much better on her spelling test at the end of the week than she does if she doesn't get the list until the Monday before. And history -- she does poorly on the tests at the end of each chapter. Things were looking gloomy for the cumulative history test (over 8 chapters) after Christmas break, but she was exhausted and I didn't make her study much -- just told her each day to look something over, and let her pick what and how much time she spent doing so. She spent very little time, but got a substantially better grade on the cumulative test. Teachers and parents were all amazed, and we discussed how enlightening an example this is of her slow processing speed.

There are accommodations that, once identified and supported by testing, everyone is happy to do. Without the test results and the documentation, though, the school is at much less liberty to make accommodation. The tests and documentation give proof of the need, so they have clear support of their decision on accommodations to give to any authority that might challenge or question it. Without such evidence of the need they can be charged with showing favoritism, and letting some students turn in less work without their grade suffering.

Before this latest (reliable) testing we had told teachers to send home any unfinished classwork that they can, so we could address it at home. This way our DDs would never get the idea that they can just sluff off in class and get out of work that way (at least, that was part of our intention). However, with both DDs the extra work has proven to be a real problem. We would have the girls working on homework as soon as they got home from school (with me working with them to keep them working and not spacing out), and often the elder (due to bigger work load) would often still be working on homework after supper. There was all too frequently no downtime for them, it was all school, homework, meals, and bed. We have since instead talked to the teachers (including younger DD's teacher -- she has not been tested nor shows the same level of issues as elder sis) about which work is truly necessary to complete, and which could be cut back on with no loss of coverage of the material. They are all happy to work with us on this, and mentioned that we are not the only ones they do this for.

Our primary reason for switching to homeschool now boils down to DD11's slow processing speed. (There are other factors, too, but this is the main root, and one which we could see no other way around without great frustration and low self-esteem). In short, it's torture for her to try to stick with a classroom's schedule and take tests so soon after learning material. She simply can't work to the level of brilliance that becomes so apparent when she is allowed to work without time pressure. She learns the stuff just as quickly, she just can't regurgitate it without some "filing time" for her brain. By homeschooling I can reduce the number of tests, and when I want to evaluate progress using a measure that matches up with the school system's I can administer it after she has this "filing time". And I can change out the instructional methods used to keep re-engaging her attention and interest. By doing these I can, over time, also teach her methods I have learned the hard way in college and the workplace on maintaining enough focus when other people are talking. (I think I would be diagnosed with ADHD inattentive, too, were I a kid nowadays.)

Your child sounds as brilliant as mine, and as unable to demonstrate that in the "usual" way. Get your child tested by a qualified neuropsych (you pediatrician can recommend a good one). It may have to be scheduled months ahead of time, but a thorough eval by a qualified professional can really help you ALL understand the way your child learns and works.

Best wishes

Since your dd is in 1st grade, you might be able to work out something informally. If not, ask about an IEP or 504. Make sure you understand what you ate asking for -- accommodation is doing the same work, but in a different way from other kids (quiet room, more time, etc), while modification is doing different work (skipping some parts of assignments, etc), You should be able to get both, if necessary, up through high school; most colleges offer accommodations, but not modifications.

I was told for my son the first accomodations would be reduced work and increased time. However right now this is at his teacher's discretion (which is working out).

He also sees the counselor to talk about strategies to stay on task.

Honestly I would not put up with taking away recess for a 1st grader who has known problems. I would try to have a new IEP meeting and have the response be put into the IEP.

That would be my first thought anyway.

I do not have formal accomodations right now and I am feeling like -- I may need them next year for him. So I am going to go back and read other responses :)

I had a big shock at his IEP meeting and did not get that addressed and now wish I had.

I re-read..... For my son in 1st grade some work was too hard for him and his teacher let me substitute working with him for all his homework.

Then for occasional homework things I scribe for him and his current teacher and 1st grade teacher are fine with this unless it is a handwriting sheet.

But it would be a nightmare for him to have to do the work at home, a lot of times, if I wasn't writing for him.

If she finishes easily in a quiet environment then that is an accomodation you could see about. It would not help my son but I know there are kids who get a cubby in the hallway or get to go to the library.

Honestly I would not put up with taking away recess for a 1st grader who has known problems. I would try to have a new IEP meeting and have the response be put into the IEP.

Gosh, I didn't dee the part about recess. In NJ, there is a law in the works that would bar teachers from taking away recess.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/NJ_lawmakers_working_to_mandate_recess_for_Grades_K-5.html?page=all

Accommodations for slowness:

Extended time to complete tests

Extended due dates for assignments

Keep in during recess/lunch to complete work (not recommended)

Send classwork home as homework

Reduced workload (not recommended)

My children both have accommodations for slowness issues. The older one has gotten extended time to complete tests (including having College Board accommodations). He has not needed any of the others, though it does take him far longer to do his homework than it takes his peers. In our most recent round of negotiating accommodations with the college he'll be attending starting next week(!), the person we spoke to said that they don't give extended due dates for things like papers.

My younger one is allowed extended time to complete tests and for one particular class, frequently needs to bring classwork home to complete it.

I am against reducing the amount of work required. Frequently the slow kid is also the one who needs a lot of practice to remember things. Reducing the workload is just going to cause the kid to be *more* behind in the long run, not less, and if it doesn't, perhaps the workload expectations for the whole class need to be adjusted.

I don't know but I will be checking back for more answers. This sounds like my dd. Dd is ahead in her knowledge and skills but doesn't finish her work and gets things done after others in her class. I think it could be inactive adhd or vision related. She also has sensory issues and is very distracted but has a good attitude and work ethic. I think next year when she is in 1st grade it might bee a bigger deal. I am also worried her skills will be missed because of how long she takes to do these worksheets that are well below her skill level.

SKL, is it May/June yet? Honestly, there's little chance that next year's teacher will be worse than this years, and if so, RUN! You've demonstrated great sense about educating her (if you homeschool next year, you'll certainly be better than her current teacher), and if you transfer her to public school then you can begin the IEP process and they'll be required by law to give her accomodations similar to those you laid out.

I know why you're sticking it out at the current school, and so here's my suggestion to make-it-work until June:

At the very least, make it clear that she should not ever miss recess for late work. Stealing candy canes, maybe ;), but not for unfinished work. This punishment is just going to reinforce that she's different/slower than the other students, and it's not allowing her to enjoy her schooling and build friendships on the playground.

Honestly, I would also let it go for incomplete work that's not graded. You're already working with her afterschool on learning the material (and don't stop that!), and there comes a point where you just put your foot down and decide that your child doesn't need to jump through a hundred thousand hoops in the form of worksheets in order to grow and mature into becoming a second grader.

Of course, when those sheets go uncompleted, your teacher might take it out on your kid for being lazy... Or if you assist, she might take it out on you for giving her an unfair advantage. Do what you must to survive the system, but realize that those worksheets shouldn't come before your kid's sanity. She's a first grader, for goodness sake.

Thanks. I should have said that the reason I'm bringing this up "again" is that I have a meeting in early April to discuss the results of the testing / observations they have done on her over the past month, and next steps. I would like to tell them that I don't want her missing recess any more. I have also heard that she's been kept back from lunch more than once in order to finish work. Today she had to wait until after school to eat her lunch, because she had to finish her "journal" - 4 freeform sentences that are not graded. My kid is 6yo and weighs 40 lbs. She should not be deprived of food for 7 waking hours. I can't believe that I have to even say this to a person who raised 3 sons and has taught little kids all her life, but apparently I do. (Time for a chill pill, Mama!)

I have been disappointed as a parent by how many adults working with children do not seem to understand children, or more than one type. I think this most often at Vacation Bible School!!!!

I would be okay with reduced work for my son, b/c he does understand quickly a lot of the time, it is his handwriting, and he has had anxiety about not finishing. However I have to say, this seems to be 100% better since the IEP meeting and his teacher giving informal accomodations. Apparently he was sitting there not working b/c he was thinking about how he was not going to finish -- not a good thing to be caught up in.

But I can see how reduced work could be a lazy thing for a teacher to do, and not serving the child's interests.

Handwriting is maybe not the same kind of issue, though. I am told my son pays attention and contributes orally, and is keeping up, but just having a hard time with the actual classwork. But they think he does not need to do all the work to keep up and understand, and I agree.

Though at this point I know he can have more than one day to copy over his missed spelling words without being "too slow." So he is just getting some extra time.

I have also heard that she's been kept back from lunch more than once in order to finish work. Today she had to wait until after school to eat her lunch, because she had to finish her "journal" - 4 freeform sentences that are not graded.

I am speechless. Really. Is that even legal? I'd be speaking to the principal first thing in the morning. I don't think you need a chill pill.

Yeah, that is not something that makes a lot of sense. When my son was 6 he got morning and afternoon snack, plus lunch. So definitely his teacher was trying to keep the kids fed. I don't even think practically a hungry kid is going to magically buckle down and pay more attention..... I just don't think it works that way.

But if the teacher does not have a Plan B that is more effective maybe that is the tool she has in her tool box? Maybe a counselor or resource teacher could give her some advice? Honestly my son's K teacher did some maddening things and did quit doing them and do more appropriate things after speaking with the speech teacher at the IEP meeting.

There was some confusion between "can't" and "won't" that the speech teacher was able to clear up, plus she had some strategies. Still maddening that a 20-year veteran teacher, loved by a lot of parents and former students, would not already know certain things!!!

(Her number one offense was telling my son with an IEP for speech articulation to "talk like a big boy" as if he could just start talking like a big boy if he wanted!)

I am speechless. Really. Is that even legal? I'd be speaking to the principal first thing in the morning. I don't think you need a chill pill.

Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that she has snuck candy or allegedly taken too big a handful of snack food at snack time. (Teacher told me "I tell them they can each have 3 mini crackers and she takes a whole handful." June can't come soon enough.)

Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that she has snuck candy or allegedly taken too big a handful of snack food at snack time. (Teacher told me "I tell them they can each have 3 mini crackers and she takes a whole handful." June can't come soon enough.)

Your child's behavior does not take away her right to a lunch. Maybe she would be less likely to take too much snack if she could trust she'd have time to eat her lunch. Maybe she'd have an easier time following directions or completing her school work if she wasn't worried about a teacher who has a problem with her. I don't see how you can take it with that teacher. You are far more patient than I would be.

Doesn't matter -I would call and file a complaint. The teacher is a professional and should be held to that standard. As to surviving the year, I would schedule a meeting with the Principal (if you feel like you have exhausted all other avenues with the teacher) and discuss your issues. If he/she can't help you forge a workable relationship with the teacher for the balance of the year, I would go up the chain. In my experience, the more experienced the teacher was, the more they felt they knew better than me what my son needed. They also tended to be skeptical of any LD's and often felt that since my son was smart, he was playing the system. New and younger teachers were much more interested in finding creative ways to help DS learn the material.

...skeptical of any LD's and often felt that since my son was smart, he was playing the system.

Interesting point. What if the school psych decides my kid doesn't have any issues deserving of consideration? Last week I got a call from the school nurse. "A note was sent home with your daughter asking you to approve a vision check for lazy-eye and such. You can ignore that, because I tested her myself and she is fine." Me: "Oh, she's been working with a developmental optometrist for years. I'm aware she has vision problems. She'll be getting more vision therapy this summer." Nurse: "Well I'm an *RN* and I checked her and she doesn't have any problems." ?? OK...

I hate it when someone who is trained in one field feels that they are competent in all fields. DH had a NP refuse to refer him to a Rheumatologist because what could they do that she couldn't? Rich huh-well she was wrong and clearly the school nurse is an RN and not an Ophthalmologist or even an Optometrist. It is a concern that the school may not want to proceed with testing, but I never had that experience. Both my boys were tested and one has such severe deficits that he was immediately put on an IEP which only changed the direction of our journey it didn't make the journey any easier. The second son was tested and the deficits were not significant enough to merit further testing at that time or any accommodations. I know some people end up going with a private evaluation and diagnosis so that the school can't deny services. Once all that is in place, you still have to fight tooth and nail for your kiddo. Most teachers have no idea how LD's work and how best to help the student. Case in point-the teacher who thought DS was playing the system because he was too smart. LD's have nothing to do with intelligence and I was shocked she didn't know that.

On another board folks are talking about how their kids with vision problems are having a lot of trouble "getting" math. Math is my kid's weakest area too, so now I think that's vision as well. But if the school insists I'm imagining the vision problem (and the APD, which some say is not a real condition anyway), what does that mean about the rest of it? Stupid or lazy? That's what they kept alternating between when my severely dyslexic, brainy dad was a kid. One would hope we'd come a long way since then.

Your expectations are reasonable, your dds' teacher is not.

I don't think she is going to listen to you until you have official reports from a neuropsych and whoever else you choose to see.

I hope you do address these issues higher up the chain. Next year she will target a different kid, whose parents might not be as involved.

• 2 weeks later...

The meeting with the psych / teacher is this Wednesday and I'm getting nervous! Last week my kid had a checkup with her therapist (she works with us on retained primitive reflexes (PR) and The Listening Program). The therapist said my dd is advancing faster than expected; she was adamant that my dd does not have a behavior problem; and she is 100% supportive of her advancing with her class. She also suggested homeschooling, LOL, but unfortuntately that is not a realistic option for us at this time. She says what I need to ask for in the school meeting is a little grace as my dd finishes up her courses of therapy (PR, listening, and vision) and academic remediation (i.e., my afterschooling/summerschooling her). I am not sure how this will be received, but at that point we will only have 7 weeks to go (not that I'm counting!). ... Wouldn't it be funny if my dd turned into a model student once the teacher stopped giving her a hard time? Stranger things have happened. But for now it's up to me to talk the teacher into lightening up.