Menu

Did you all see the Italian court system wants to retry Amanda Knox?

QuirkyKapers

Unless she's stupid enough to go back to Italy, I don't see why this matters. They can't compel her to appear.

I could see it preventing her from future travels she might want to do, though. I mean, if she somehow had a layover in Italy or other place where Italy has more clout than the USA, then could she get detained? It would put a damper on plans for sure.

I have no opinion on her guilt/innocence as I did not follow the case. Obviously if she's guilty of murder, she should serve a sentence.

Guest inoubliable

I could see it preventing her from future travels she might want to do, though. I mean, if she somehow had a layover in Italy or other place where Italy has more clout than the USA, then could she get detained? It would put a damper on plans for sure.

I have no opinion on her guilt/innocence as I did not follow the case. Obviously if she's guilty of murder, she should serve a sentence.

Only if they re-convict her. I'm pretty sure our country would throw a fit, though, since we have that little thing about double jeopardy.

I have no idea if she was guilty or not. The local cops there screwed up evidence taking. Or something like that. Anywho. She was already convicted, sentenced to three years, served, and released.

Unless she's stupid enough to go back to Italy, I don't see why this matters. They can't compel her to appear.

They can try her in absentia, but we do have an extradition treaty with Italy and if they demand her to be returned, legally the US would have to comply.

Only if they re-convict her. I'm pretty sure our country would throw a fit, though, since we have that little thing about double jeopardy.

I agree the US population probably would throw a fit, but Italy, from what I understand, does not have a double jeopardy law and since the crime was committed on Italian soil, it falls under their rules. I did follow the story as it was all over the news in Europe forever, and I personally never thought she was guilty. There was almost no evidence other than her DNA being in the house. She lived in the house, so I'm not sure how they wouldn't find it, plus there was apparently a lot of mishandling over evidence that caused cross contamination.

I think this whole thing is an embarrassment to Italy and their legal system. They found no new evidence and plan to retry based on the evidence from the previous trial. This seems more like a case of 'we're going to retry you until we get a guilty verdict.'

They can try her in absentia, but we do have an extradition treaty with Italy and if they demand her to be returned, legally the US would have to comply.

I agree the US population probably would throw a fit, but Italy, from what I understand, does not have a double jeopardy law and since the crime was committed on Italian soil, it falls under their rules. I did follow the story as it was all over the news in Europe forever, and I personally never thought she was guilty. There was almost no evidence other than her DNA being in the house. She lived in the house, so I'm not sure how they wouldn't find it, plus there was apparently a lot of mishandling over evidence that caused cross contamination.

I think this whole thing is an embarrassment to Italy and their legal system. They found no new evidence and plan to retry based on the evidence from the previous trial. This seems more like a case of 'we're going to retry you until we get a guilty verdict.'

I agree totally. I feel for her. I didn't follow THAT closely but this is how I read the situation too. Not Italy's proudest moment.

Also re: double jeopardy, remember that even in the United States a defendant can undergo more than one trial. The LA police officers involved in the Rodney King beating were first tried in state court, received a not guilty verdict, and then tried in federal court with a convictions. I haven't even read the article linked and I have no idea whether Italy has a dual court system, but a defendant could possibly be tried twice here in America.

Lisa

I don't think she could travel in Europe. I'm not certain how extradition treaties work, but I think the Eurozone has reciprocal policies. Off U.S. soil, I think she would be vulnerable.

Better to stay home and be thankful to be out of prison.

Faith

Isn't that the one where another, unrelated drifter type was convicted and sentenced for the same crime after Knox and her boyfriend had already been convicted? If I'm thinking of the right case there was hard evidence that the unrelated party/drifter guy was guilty. I do not understand that at all.

Sri Lanka, Morocco, and Brazil do not have extradition treaties with Italy. Possibly, she may want to consider getting a student visa to Brazil and then find a job, become a quiet, law abiding citizen of her host country, and hunker down...unless of course she's guilty, in which case I hope she sticks around and gets sent back.

That said, the whole thing seems a little dubious and especially since the appeals court found that the DNA samples were so darn small, they couldn't be tested by another lab after the crime lab was done. That's generally a non-starter right there in the US...if the case is built on such a tiny amount of DNA that the defense cannot conduct independent testing, then the DNA evidence is oft tossed or at least that's what I've gathered - maybe Elizabeth, our Hive attorney- will weigh in on this. I mean, if I left my bra on the floor of a shared residence for a month, and one tried to figure out what happened based on DNA found on it, one might conclude that my dog, our pet rabbit, the guinea pig, or my 2 year old great niece were nefarious!

I have no idea if she was guilty or not. The local cops there screwed up evidence taking. Or something like that. Anywho. She was already convicted, sentenced to three years, served, and released.

she was sentenced to three years for a slander conviction. (which came after hours of brutal interrogation without a lawyer. the police suggested someone, and she agreed it was possible, and for that she was convicted of slander.) she was sentenced to 25 years for murder. Rude guede, who CONFESSED, had a record and whose DNA was all over meredith's room (and none of AK or RS was), was only sentenced to 16 years. AK was only released when an appeals court ruled the prosecutors screwed up and didn't prove their case. the prosecutors appealed that.

she was sentenced to three years for a slander conviction. (which came after hours of brutal interrogation without a lawyer. the police suggested someone, and she agreed it was possible, and for that she was convicted of slander.) she was sentenced to 25 years for murder. Rude guede, who CONFESSED, had a record and whose DNA was all over meredith's room (and none of AK or RS was), was only sentenced to 16 years.

:svengo:

Good gravy!

Time to invalidate our extradition treaty with Italy.

I did read that her slander conviction came from complaints about civil rights violations. Were those complaints even investigated?

Faith

Her own lawyer said in the article that double jeopardy doesn't apply because it was sent back down from appeal--final judgment to which double jeopardy would apply hasn't happened yet.

Also re: double jeopardy, remember that even in the United States a defendant can undergo more than one trial. The LA police officers involved in the Rodney King beating were first tried in state court, received a not guilty verdict, and then tried in federal court with a convictions. I haven't even read the article linked and I have no idea whether Italy has a dual court system, but a defendant could possibly be tried twice here in America.

Lisa

The same incident can give rise to different crimes charged, and in the Rodney King example, different sovereign governments bringing the charges. So the state could put them on trial in state court for attempted murder, and the feds could put them on trial in federal court for criminal violation of his civil rights. The appeals process can result in multiple trials if a trial is thrown out as unfair. That isn't double jeopardy because the conviction for the first trial is also thrown out.