Menu

chia seeds?

mytwomonkeys

I second adding them to smoothies. Also, if you're not texturally averse, you can soak them til they get gel-like and add them to beverages like juice or cooled green tea or whatever sounds appealing. I quite like the combination of textures, but I know others who can't stand it.

Thanks for the info on egg replacement.

Dh drinks it with lime water. The goopy doesn't bother him. I prefer it over yogurt. I have noticed that it makes my tongue feel funny. Sort of tingly but not quite. I haven't noticed any other side effects but I don't consume chia very frequently.

Guest inoubliable

In what quantities? Say I have a muffin recipe that calls for two eggs. How much of the chia seeds would I need to whip up?

(I have an egg allergy. This could potentially open up a whole new world of recipes for me!)

http://www.veganbaking.net/component/content/article/57-recipes/eggless-binders/208-chia-seed-binder.html

:) Works wonderfully.

did you make it?

I had it in a drink once that seemed sweet and flavored with rosewater. It was sort of pleasantly different. I used it a few times, but currently have a pack sitting in my cupboard! I think it would be nice in lemonade. I will be trying out some new uses for these...

My only advice is that the "pudding" recipes that I've encountered could use some work. I've been trying the fruit based ones and they often call for a teaspoon of cinammon which is overkill and ends up being chalky. So skip any recipe that has that.

My only advice is that the "pudding" recipes that I've encountered could use some work. I've been trying the fruit based ones and they often call for a teaspoon of cinammon which is overkill and ends up being chalky. So skip any recipe that has that.

How are the ones you've seen formulated? I used the one of the back of the TJ's chia seeds:

1 c. unsweetened cocunut milk

1/4 c. chia seeds

sweetener (they suggest agave; I use stevia).

I also add a dash of vanilla extract

Mix, let sit for 2-3 hours in fridge.

Cinnamon never seems to really dissolve, does it? When I've put it in tea, it just sort of sits there and slimes off. Yuck.

Cinnamon never seems to really dissolve, does it? When I've put it in tea, it just sort of sits there and slimes off. Yuck.

I feel the same about it in coffee. Since I like cinnamon in other dishes I decided that maybe cinnamon needs a fat to carry it.

I really liked what the chia seeds did so I thought about the next time I tried making up a batch. Definitely no cinnamon, but I've also considered using a fruit juice instead of all milk.

FYI, I think this was the original source of my recipe: http://www.sodiumgirl.com/chia-cranberry-pudding-cups/ Her inspiration recipe does not have the objectionable cinnamon: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/10383/An_overnight_breakfast_treat.htm