Menu

Writing Tales 1 vs. WWE 3? Other ideas?

LBoogie

Trying to decide what writing to do for 3rd grade... We did WWE 2 this year, and while both of us seem to like it fine, I worry that it's not "enough" to teach writing skills. I was looking at Writing Tales, but I don't see it mentioned much around the forum. Anyone have any opinions?

Also, if you have any other writing "loves" (besides IEW-- too expensive and intensive for us for now), I'd love to hear it.

Ellen

I have the same worries about WWE. We are finishing level 2, I am looking at IEW's Bible Heroes (aimed at 2nd grade, not expensive and not as intensive as their other stuff). Also looking at Bravewriter's Arrow and Jot it Down (which are cheaper through HSBC than through the BW website). Whichever one we use, I plan to combine with WWE 3.

I have used Writing Tales (both level 1 and level 2) with two different kids so far. I will use it for kid #3, as well. We start out with WWE and then switch to WT. I really love WT - it is gentle, yet thorough and effective. My second son will go into WWS next year after doing WT2 this year. I think that a good way to use both programs would be to use WWE 1 and 2, then move to WT 1 and 2, then on to WWS.

I have used Writing Tales (both level 1 and level 2) with two different kids so far. I will use it for kid #3, as well. We start out with WWE and then switch to WT. I really love WT - it is gentle, yet thorough and effective. My second son will go into WWS next year after doing WT2 this year. I think that a good way to use both programs would be to use WWE 1 and 2, then move to WT 1 and 2, then on to WWS.

What is WWS? I looked at the abbreviation sticky....but the link doesn't seem to be working. :huh:

We used WT 1 and liked it. DS did it over 18 months, dd did it in a year. You need the TM and student manual. My kids loved the games and who knew grammar games could be so much fun!! It was a good, gentle writing experience. The grammar was basic but good reminders. I would recommend it. We didn't use level 2 b/c we alternate grammar & writing focus and I haven't decided what we will use next. But I thought it was a great elementary program. The stories get long though so they need to be able to write longer times or I wrote down for my son when he asked.

Do you need both the teacher and student books for Writing Tales?

You definitely need BOTH the teacher & student books for WT. Great games in WT1. I admit to skipping quite a few of the games in WT2 because I didn't have as much 'teacher' time with dd#1 as I dedicated for WT1.

I planned on using WT1 with my dd#2 this year, but she really needed to focus just on spelling & math. I'm hoping to do WT1 faster next year with her because she loves putting pencil to paper (unlike big sis). Great grammar in WT1. We supplemented grammar in WT2.

Wow! I hadn't heard of Writing Tales until this thread, but after looking at the website for a while last night I think this could be the perfect program for my oldest next year. For those of you who have used it, two quick questions: Is the workbook consumable and how is it bound? I do wish it was available in PDF or digital format as I'm finding that tends to work better for us, but otherwise it looks like it could possibly be the ideal writing program for us.

Wow! I hadn't heard of Writing Tales until this thread, but after looking at the website for a while last night I think this could be the perfect program for my oldest next year. For those of you who have used it, two quick questions: Is the workbook consumable and how is it bound? I do wish it was available in PDF or digital format as I'm finding that tends to work better for us, but otherwise it looks like it could possibly be the ideal writing program for us.

The binding for the student workbook is that large wire ring spiral binding (don't know the correct "term" for it!) and it is consumable.

Ditto what whitestavern said about consumable & spiral bound. Only place to buy it is that website. She does usually do a percentage off during ... May, I think.

On the PDF front, try emailing the author. I don't know if she'll offer it in a PDF form, but might as well try asking. She's always emailed me back relatively promptly and answered all my questions. (The only disappointment I've had is that she doesn't think she'll do a WT3 or WT4. I could have used those as CW Homer kicked my rear end.) Just use the "contact us" link.

(WT is a fun & easy-to-teach alternative to Classical Writing Aesop.)

If you are not sure about switching, I will just give this plug. My DS 11 has gone through WWE 1-3 then to WWS 1. He is doing wonderfully in the more advanced writing and is proving to be an excellent writer. I have never used anything but SWB's program. If you listen to her lectures on how to teach writing, it just makes so much sense. You have to trust the process to some extent.