Menu

Help with Indian Food/Curry

Amy in NH

I've had Indian food twice, both times with my sister who likes it and eats it regularly. The first time I thought it was mushy and yucky, even though she liked it. The second time was a buffet, and she helped me choose some not-so-mushy stuff, which was okay. I've not had curry except in those two instances. I'd like to expand our menu a bit, and I need help finding good Indian food/curry recipes. Please point me to your favorite Indian/Curry cookbooks, recipes, and dishes.

My amah who is Indian does all the cooking so I don't have recipes but you should look up recipes for butter chicken masala and naan or roti (types of bread). They are family favorites here!

Mmmmmm... Yum.

Wish we could come have dinner at your house!

Most Indian stew type dishes (meat and veg) are very well cooked aka mushy, so meat is falling apart, for example. I would try making something yourself (like cauliflower) and leaving it a bit less cooked so it still has a bit more "bite" to it, but I think you are correct about texture. I happen to like it myself, but I think it's a valid observation.

I had those for the first time this weekend. Oh my. They were so good. I ate 4. I could have eaten 40! They looked like a lot of work to make. But they were so good.

Oh, a good samosa is a beautiful thing. Once or twice a year my husband sets aside a Saturday and declares it Samosa Day. He spends all day cooking (and laying my poor kitchen to waste) and we have a meal of just samosas and mint chutney. It's most unseemly, but glorious. [*whispering* and Trader Joe's chicken tikka samosas are pretty darned good, too, and they take 15 minutes...].

Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks are usually reliable and not too intimidating for an Indian food novice. Good luck!

I agree, samosas and naan are wonderful.

Another favorite is aloo palak (Indian spinach and potatoes).

Kalanamak answered a lot of questions in the past about Indian foods, cooking, and cookbooks if you want to search for her advice. She is quite accomplished in that area!

Reading the recipes for these, they look exactly the same.

Manjula doesn't use garlic or onions, by the way.

Roti should be without leavening and cooked on the stovetop. Most people (inc Manjula) make it with whole wheat flour. Naan is usually made with yeast and white flour and cooked in an oven.

Very roughly speaking, a chapati/roti should be similar to a tortilla, and naan more like puffy pita bread (the chewy sort).

I remember watching her video for paratha a looong time ago! I think she makes way too few at a time -- 1/2 c flour? Not in my house. But her technique is great to watch.

Manjula doesn't use garlic or onions, by the way.

Roti should be without leavening and cooked on the stovetop. Most people (inc Manjula) make it with whole wheat flour. Naan is usually made with yeast and white flour and cooked in an oven.

Very roughly speaking, a chapati/roti should be similar to a tortilla, and naan more like puffy pita bread (the chewy sort).

I remember watching her video for paratha a looong time ago! I think she makes way too few at a time -- 1/2 c flour? Not in my house. But her technique is great to watch.

Yep, I generally at least double her recipes.