Menu

I'm Building up our Science Library your favorite books...

Soror

If I see books from the "All About" series at library sales (they are OOP), I'll definitely pick them up for evaluation - some are more engaging than others, but generally reliable.

Isaac Asimov "How Did We Find Out About .." series

Jeanne Bendick's books (alas mostly OOP) - she did a couple under the "First Book of .." series.

I really like the Our Living World of Nature books. You can find them individually much cheaper than this set sells for. This is about a 5th grade and up reading level.

I also like this series by Barbara Somervill. It's very simply written, to the point, and has great color pictures. This would be about a 3rd grade and up reading level.

This series, Ask Me Why, has been wonderful for creating interest and jumping off points for further investigation as has the Explore and Learn series from Southwestern.

We just finished up with this book. I actually created a whole science study around it by doing a two page spread per week. We would gather our own materials from the category being discussed in the book and looked at them under the microscope making comparisons and drawing conclusions. We learned all about the history of the microscope, the future of microscopes and how to use them...it was a lot of fun. You'd be amazed at the things your kids can find to look at under a microscope... :scared: .

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I'm checking out the links. We have some Basher books, there not my favorite though. I think I have some of the old All About series that I bought from a library sell. I really like the look of the Living World series. There seems to be a lot by the same author of Cell Wars as well. Thanks for the ideas, anyone else?

My 9yo ds quite heartily recommends the Horrible Science books. He adores them.

He's also been reading The Library of Subatomic Particles series: Photon, Proton, Electron, and such. I'd only hand them to a kid with interest at 8-9yo, but they are good books.

my 9 yo is working his way through some horrible science books (i got on ebay). he read several biographies in this series (einstein was his fave, but also Curie and DaVinci). i also have 'the way things work' in there, and a kids science almanac that was put out by brainpop, some Max Axiom books, both volumes of this and also their book about the amusement park, tho that seemed maybe lighter on science?

Tree of Life: The Incredible Biodiversity of Life on Earth by Rochelle Strauss -- sets up discussion of biological classification system by exploring each of the Kingdoms (Monera, Fungi, Protoctista, Plants, Animals); and moving through the Animal Kingdom of Vertebrates vs. Invertebrates; and Vertebrate categories of fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians. 40p.

When Bugs Were Big, Plants Were Strange, and Tetrapods Stalked the Earth: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life Before Dinosaurs by Hannah Bonner -- Graphic Novel of life prior to dinosaurs. Yes, this book is a graphic novel, but it is still too advanced for dd6. I checked it out from the library and learned TONS!!! You will need to read it many times to get everything out of it!

Also in the Bonner series:

When Feet Got Fish, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm

When Dinos Dawned, Mammals Got Munched, and and Pterosaurs Took Flight

ETA:

Below are reference books, but they have already gotten a lot of use in our home:

DK Animal Encyclopedia...probably close to this. (Ours has 376p.)

DK Human Body Book

The Elements

When Bugs Were Big, Plants Were Strange, and Tetrapods Stalked the Earth: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life Before Dinosaurs by Hannah Bonner -- Graphic Novel of life prior to dinosaurs. Yes, this book is a graphic novel, but it is still too advanced for dd6. I checked it out from the library and learned TONS!!! You will need to read it many times to get everything out of it!

Also in the Bonner series:

When Feet Got Fish, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm

When Dinos Dawned, Mammals Got Munched, and and Pterosaurs Took Flight

ETA:

Below are reference books, but they have already gotten a lot of use in our home:

DK Animal Encyclopedia...probably close to this. (Ours has 376p.)

DK Human Body Book

Thank you. These look great and now I know what my 5 year old is getting this summer for his 6th birthday!!!! Those 3 cartoon prehistory books will make his day!!!

There is a great series about the seasons that is written by Heidi Pross Gray--they are living books and the writing is geared towards preschool and lower elementary, but the illustrations are amazing and even my big kids love them! Every time we read the books, they spark a new topic of discussion, like migration and why animals are busy in the fall or why do some leaves fall off of trees. The newest one, Spring is Here, has a bunch of stuff about seeds growing--very cool!

OH, lots of good ideas. I love the look of the Scientist in the Field series. I think I've seen those recommended before. I was wondering about the Max Axiom series, it seemed interesting. I like the NG picture book as well. Thanks again ladies when I get a bit more time I'm anxious to check out all the links.

We consider the Usborne Science Internet linked Encyclopedia (and the First Encyclopedias for the younger crowd) a must. Plus I discovered this series and LOVE it for a way to use art to reinforce the scientific concepts:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Art-Activities-Arty-Facts/dp/0778711404

Some of the books are better than others. I highly recommend the space one.