Menu

Anyone have a family closet?

Spryte

I keep running across this idea. Anyone try it? Like it? Hate it?

Our bedrooms are on the second floor, laundry room is in the basement. We can't install a chute due to the configuration of the house, and I am sick of lugging stuff up and down!

Hmmm Would the idea be to put the closet upstairs, or in the basement? I think even if you have a closet for everyone, it's still going to be either upstairs (and thus you'll have to lug clean laundry from the basement), or downstairs (in which case you'll have to go downstairs to get your clothes). One option would be to have a family hamper (one of those spring-up laundry bins would be ideal) and bring it downstairs in the morning every day. Do the laundry, then in the evening bring the bin containing the folded laundry upstairs with you when you go to bed. A family closet would help with putting things away, but it wouldn't save you any stairs.

ETA: Maybe I misunderstood - would the idea be to move the laundry upstairs? In that case, I think it would be great.

I did this when the kids were all younger and I was the only one who did laundry. Now that they are old enough to haul baskets, fold laundry, and put things away I have moved away from it for the most part. I loved it at the time and the drawers and cabinets come in handy now for storage off season.

Yes, we do.

We have a long, narrow room in the upstairs that can be entered either from the master bedroom or from the hallway.

Wall 1: Washer, dryer, folding table, hanging rack. There are two cabinets above the washer/dryer for laundry detergents/etc, with shelves in between the cabinets for toiletry travel bags. Under the folding table is a 3-bin laundry hamper. Under the hanging clothes I keep plastic bins for sheets. Travel bags/luggage are stored on top of the bins, under the hanging shirts.

Wall 2: Floor-length wall mirror, window, and a very narrow dresser for things like belts, with hat boxes on top for hats of course. There is a small pull-out drying rack above the mirror, and I also store a larger drying rack between the dresser and the window.

Wall 3: Door to the hallway, and floor to ceiling shelves ~8 ft long. Each family member has their own shelf. On one end, each person has two cloth bins for socks & underwear. The rest is sorted into piles - pajamas, pants, shirts, sweatshirts, etc.

Wall 4: Door to the master bedroom.

I LOVE my family closet.

No hampers in each room, no overflowing drawers that won't close, no clothes that get lost in the back/bottom of the drawer, and lots of extra space without dressers in the bedroom. We live in an old house, and there are no closets in the bedrooms (or anywhere else for that matter).

We just moved from a house that had a family closet. The washer and dryer were in there as well. I loved it. The only draw back was when modest (or grumpy) person was getting dressed and wanted to be alone in the closet. The others just had to wait their turn.

People who want privacy for dressing must get dressed in another room...

Well, I've never....heard, seen or read anything about this "family closet" thing.

However, it has been in my "dream house plans" in my head for a loooong time now. Here, I thought I dreamed it up. So much for my uniqueness. :p

Mine has those hospital curtain tracks on the ceiling around each person's area for privacy.

My sil washes folds and hangs everything in her laundry room. If you want to wear it go get it if you want it clean bring it down.

That's what I do. When the kids were little I would do the lugging, but now anything I wash except towels is hung up in the laundry room. Now that they're older they do all the hauling (and most of of their own washing). Occassionally I'll haul out if I need space.

I don't consider my laundry room a closet, though. I suppose people are free to dress there, but everyone takes their clothes to their rooms to dress. We have way too modest of family members (starting with me) to have a common dressing area.

Guest inoubliable

Hmmm. This is interesting. I've seen some tiny houses with one closet for everyone and I did like that. Not sure how to make it happen in a larger house with multiple levels, though.

Still pondering the logistics of this... Our basement isn't a dank, unfinished place, but it's not where we routinely hang out either. Trying to figure out if anyone would want to troop down to DH's office to get dressed on a daily basis. :)

Well, I've never....heard, seen or read anything about this "family closet" thing.

However, it has been in my "dream house plans" in my head for a loooong time now. Here, I thought I dreamed it up. So much for my uniqueness. :p

Mine has those hospital curtain tracks on the ceiling around each person's area for privacy.

LOL!

I "invented" rear window windshield wipers when I was 5. I was devastated when my dad told me they already exist!