Menu

UPDATE: need hugs - water damage

gardenmom5

last week, my dishwasher decided to leak underneath my kitchen floor. that was it, we shut it off and ordered a new dishwasher. yesterday, the insurance adjuster came out. glad I was there, as dh wouldn't have caught the difference between engineered floor and solid floor. today, they demo'd my kitchen floor. there are parts of the subfloor that are getting me worried. apparently, my fridge has been leaking too as there is quite a bit of water on the subfloor that has spread, and adjacent cabinets that were moved have mold on them in addition to the water damage. the link (I can't think of the name) for the water from the dishwasher to the sink is leaking, even though it has been shut off since last week. there's a plumber coming sometime today to remove the darn thing and get it out.

the subfloor is exterior plywood, so there is hope it will dry out. biggest concern is any water damage to joists. they are currently installing fans to dry things out. my laundry room is right below - and it has water damage on the ceiling extending to a light socket. how blind can I be that I didn't even notice that until today!? I did have one contractor tell me drywall will dry and only then can you tell how badly it is damaged.

My dd did offer to buy takeout tonight since the kitchen isn't very useable. don't know what kind of food I'd want to eat. right now, I'm not hungry and I haven't even had breakfast (let alone lunch.). I just want to be sick.

I'm thinking maybe a copper slate floor . . . . . . . UPDATE: all done but the finishing touches. new dishwasher finally installed today. I've got it running, and it is very quiet. (though I can hear it) silver shine quartzite floor tile - looks great with my counters. impervious to oil and water (though it may have been presealed.). it just beads up on the surface and sits there. everything is caulked around the edges/openings so water won't have any cracks to run into. I've got my dining room back - the fridge and a couple of cabinets had been in it. oh, along with the kitchen table and chairs. the range was on the deck with a tarp. the floor is so pretty . . . .but now, if anything is dropped, it's toast. at least with wood, things had a chance. but water won't hurt it either.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

A copper slate floor, and take out every night while it's all fixed... Doesn't that sound lovely?

I'm sorry. The fans are loud, but they really do help. Are you checking the humidity level in the house to see if it's going down? When we had water damage, watching the humidity level drop made me happy.

I'm so sorry. It's great that they caught it but it probably doesn't feel like that now does it?

Would a semi-related story of misery help? My neighbors have a split level house and since all their kids have moved out they never went to the bathroom on the lower level, they used the one on the main living level which was right above the downstairs bathroom on the former "teen" level. I don't know how they eventually caught it but they discovered that water had been leaking into the downstairs bathroom from the upstairs bathroom. It was black with mold and water damage and looked like it belonged in a house to be condemned. It was horrible and they were lucky the floor didn't collapse on them while they were on the loo or taking a shower. For weeks they had people in their house ripping everything out and redoing it. They also had no working bathrooms during that time. That was a year after they discovered that their septic system was backing up into their yard and had to be replaced for $20k. And that was a year after they had two cars die. We have a saying in my house when things are bad ... "It could be worse, we could be M and D." Feel free to use that saying. :) They're nice people and have a sense of humor about their real estate disasters.

I'm sorry, I know it's a hassle and seems like a big deal. Two years ago we were living far away for a year and good friends were checking on our house once or twice a week. On the coldest night of the year our furnace went, and our entire home was flooded before it was discovered. It was a big mess.

It took six months to tear down walls, ceilings, rebuild, repaint, etc. The good part is that we never saw a thing! Our friends handled the management of it, our insurance paid for everything, and by the time we moved back home everything was fresh and new and newly painted. :)

we've bought flooring. a silver-gray quartzite. harder than granite. goes fabulously with my granite and travertine (backsplash) samples I took with us. first store we looked at- first tile we really looked at.

with any luck, they'll start fixing the floor and installing next week. I'm not holding my breath.

currently there are two fans and a dehumidifyer in the kitchen, and another fan in the laundry room (water damage to the ceiling)

Beautiful flooring!

And did you have yummy take out, too, I hope? :)

I did. My 1dd treated us - and it was very welcome. She ended up three different places picking stuff up. I had shrimp phad thai from our favorite thai place, dudeling had chicken teriyaki, and one son had pizza. sometimes, cheap pizza hits the spot. 1dd and dh had thai, and 2ds also had japanese. thing I love about some of these places is the portions are large enough dudeling had teriyaki for lunch today and I had the rest of my phad thai.

the fans are still going - and I'm wondering if they're going to be taken out tomorrow, or run the whole weekend. at least the constant noise makes it like white noise and after awhile, it's not that bad. It's not like the rotating fans my mil would use that would make me want to scream and shut them off. the zippered covering for to get in and out of the kitchen is getting to be a drag and that's what I will be most glad to have gone. and the kitchen is hot with them running. the dishes dry REALLY fast though. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: all done but the finishing touches. new dishwasher finally installed today. I've got it running, and it is very quiet. (though I can hear it) silver shine quartzite floor tile - looks great with my counters. impervious to oil and water (though it may have been presealed.). it just beads up on the surface and sits there. everything is caulked around the edges/openings so water won't have any cracks to run into. I've got my dining room back - the fridge and a couple of cabinets had been in it. oh, along with the kitchen table and chairs. the range was on the deck with a tarp. the floor is so pretty . . . .but now, if anything is dropped, it's toast. at least with wood, things had a chance. but water won't hurt it either.

Yay! Sounds like things are getting back to normal.