Menu

There is a filibuster going on right now... regardless of your

I had our sons watch for a few minutes, so they will have the opportunity to remember. I remember things from when I was a child - Nixon on TV, and the Iran hostage crisis. I know they can't understand much right now, but I wanted them to have the opportunity to remember.

Katie, we said the same thing about my DS9! That kid can talk a blue streak! :D

Right?!

Put my kid up there talking about a Lego diagram of the potential Congressional budget, and oh, yeah, did you know there's a bone in your ear the size of a single grain of rice? And - what was I talking about? - oh, yes, the budget - you know, that reminds me of a lot of other really interesting words that start with B. There are a lot of animals that start with B . . . some of them live deep in the ocean . . . did you know you can actually travel a whole mile down under? And that there are galaxies that nobody has ever visited? And there's this really cool number called infinity . . . nobody knows if it's odd or even, even the really smart engineering college students at church . . . but oh yeah, Mr. Andrew at church, he can tell a really good story about Little Jeffy . . . I don't think Little Jeffy likes to do math, though, you know, Mom? It's funny, because when you learn about fictional characters, sometimes they don't have a "rest of life" like we do, like they only do the things in the story, not the other things like brushing your teeth or cleaning up your room. It's like they don't really exist. I think that's why they're called fiction. But animals are not fiction . . .

Those esteemed Senators would be LINED UP to sign any bill under the sun just to get out of there! HAHAHAHAHA!

I didn't think filibusters were rare any more. My ds gets a news magazine for students and he sometimes reads the articles out loud to me. One of them said that filibusters used to be rare, but now have practically taken over, with there being something like 170/ year. Was this incorrect info.? I remember being completely shocked when my ds read the article to me, so I'd love to know if it was wrong.

Actual filibusters (the Senator takes the floor and engages in continuous speech) are rare. The last one was in 2003 and was done by Harry Reid (think I have that right).

What happens is that the threat of a filibuster frequently is made and instead of having one occur, negotiations to resolve the issues begin. These threats, formal or informally made are what the articles refer to and reformers seek to address.

Actual filibusters (the Senator takes the floor and engages in continuous speech) are rare. The last one was in 2003 and was done by Harry Reid (think I have that right).

What happens is that the threat of a filibuster frequently is made and instead of having one occur, negotiations to resolve the issues begin. These threats, formal or informally made are what the articles refer to and reformers seek to address.

Thanks for the explanation!

I didn't think filibusters were rare any more. My ds gets a news magazine for students and he sometimes reads the articles out loud to me. One of them said that filibusters used to be rare, but now have practically taken over, with there being something like 170/ year. Was this incorrect info.? I remember being completely shocked when my ds read the article to me, so I'd love to know if it was wrong.

You need 60 votes in the Senate to reach cloture and move to a vote on the bill or nomination. These days, when a bill doesn't have the support of 60, but would pass with 51-59 votes, the media calls it a filibuster or the threat of a filibuster and like the pp said, negotiations usually occur to reach the 60 number instead of a Senator actually taking the floor and reading the phone book or similar. The list of actual filibusters in the 20th century is surprisingly quite short. Some of them are just plain embarrassing, like Strom Thurmond filibustering civil rights bills.