Menu

Best bread machine?

AnneD

I highly recommend any of the brand new ones sold by Goodwill for about $10ish. I've bought two that way, and I loved them both. My last one was still in the packaging with instructions and all. Can't beat that price!

I usually start the bread in the machine and finish it in the oven. If I want fresh, warm bread for breakfast then I use the full bread machine cycle.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, I purchased a new Breadman on Amazon for under $50 with free shipping. It does different loaf sizes up to 2 lbs, the bread bakes into a loaf shape and you can choose a lot of different options including delay and crust. I prefer to make a 2 lbs dough and then split it into one raisin and a french loaf baked in the oven.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, I purchased a new Breadman on Amazon for under $50 with free shipping. It does different loaf sizes up to 2 lbs, the bread bakes into a loaf shape and you can choose a lot of different options including delay and crust. I prefer to make a 2 lbs dough and then split it into one raisin and a french loaf baked in the oven.

I couldn't find one under $50. Is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/Breadman-TR520-Programmable-2-Pound-Loaves/dp/B000Q4QM1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362326060&sr=8-1&keywords=Breadman

I have this Breadman, though when I checked my order history it was only $110 at the time. I like it but haven't taken advantage of too many of the features. The reviews that say it's noisy are right. Other than that, I don't have any issues with it. Before that I had a cheap (under $100) Sunbeam bread maker. It didn't have many bells and whistles, but it worked just fine. It lasted 10 years, but finally quit on me while in the middle of making dough.

If you're going to bake the bread in it, Zojirushi. If just for kneading, I've not found brand to matter. I've had a few Breadman machines just for kneading, and I liked those.

I've heard that the motors in the Zo and other "premium" machines will hold up better when used for kneading dense breads. I've no firsthand experience with anything other than my Zo, but I can say that it will knead anything. :)

I've heard that the motors in the Zo and other "premium" machines will hold up better when used for kneading dense breads. I've no firsthand experience with anything other than my Zo, but I can say that it will knead anything. :)

Agreeing -- that's partially why we got a Zo -- it does it all and we use it all the time. Also, it was a gift and I didn't have to pass out at the cost.

Also, King Arthur Flour has a bunch of blog posts about other things that can be made in the Zo: soups, jam, risotto, desserts. I'm sure there are other resources, too. Now, my mom uses our old, inexpensive machine and it is fine for light use and still working after about 9 years of sporadic use. So, OP, I would say the best bread machine is going to depend on how much you are going to use it, what you are using it for, and how much you are willing to spend because the Zo is best for us but if we had different needs, I'd definitely consider other brands.

Also, King Arthur Flour has a bunch of blog posts about other things that can be made in the Zo: soups, jam, risotto, desserts.

I don't know about soups and turkey (a quick browse at the link above showed someone wanted to cook a turkey in their Zo), but the Breadman I linked has a variety of settings. In addition to the usual, it has jam, low carb, gluten free, pizza dough (not sure how this differs from the regular dough setting), and quick breads. It has a bake only setting which allows you to mix whatever it is by hand and put in in the Breadman just to bake. It has a setting that allows you to program up to 5 personal recipes, and a custom setting that lets you manually adjust the preset settings. It has a fruit and nut dispenser.

As I said in my post, I haven't taken advantage of any of the above, so I might have overbought. However, I wanted a decent bread machine that would hold up and last a while, but didn't want to shell out the money for a Zo. I've only had it about a year, and if it lasts as long as my previous one (10 yrs. with regular use) I'll be happy.

Now, my mom uses our old, inexpensive machine and it is fine for light use and still working after about 9 years of sporadic use. So, OP, I would say the best bread machine is going to depend on how much you are going to use it, what you are using it for, and how much you are willing to spend because the Zo is best for us but if we had different needs, I'd definitely consider other brands.

:iagree: Take the recommendations you get here, decide what your needs are, and do research on your own. If you do all of that, you should be able to find the right one for you.