Menu

Is there something better than a Roku box?

Blueridge

We gave up satellite last year and got a Roku for streaming Netflix and watching a few channels available on it. I am getting weary with it, though. Every time we try to watch a movie, it just freezes, tries to load, sometimes it finally does and then freezes again 10 minutes later. Many times the box just restarts itself. We thought it was a router problem, but I think it's a Roku problem. Are there any happy users of another device like a Roku? Thanks!

We've had our Roku almost two years now and it doesn't behave like that. The only time it does the loading thing (rarely) the internet on our computers is also slow so it's definitely a network issue for us. Since it restarts itself I wonder if there is some sort of malfunctioning something inside it.

It sounds like you have a lemon. I'd contact Roku. We've had two Rokus, and have never had problems such as you describe.

ETA: Please wait and judge the company by their response. :) Lemons happen.

It sounds like you have a lemon. I'd contact Roku. We've had two Rokus, and have never had problems such as you describe.

ETA: Please wait and judge the company by their response. :) Lemons happen.

Yes, check with Roku. I hope you didn't wait until the warranty is up. We have 3 Rokus and the only problems we have are network or Bright House problems. Two of our boxes are 2 years old and one is a little over a year old.

People with Roku's..............does it matter which one I pick?

What kind of TV do you have? If it can play 1080p (HD) video, I'd get a Roku 2 XD. If not, don't spend the extra money. FWIW, I think the "instant replay" feature in the HD is worth the $10 over the LT model. You might not. :)

What kind of TV do you have? If it can play 1080p (HD) video, I'd get a Roku 2 XD. If not, don't spend the extra money. FWIW, I think the "instant replay" feature in the HD is worth the $10 over the LT model. You might not. :)

Yes, I do have HD so I'll go with that one. I just downgraded my cable to only network channels so I'm looking for more options.

I use our wii.......we watch Hulu and Netflix. I wanted a Roku so I can stream amazon but not if they have issues cause for the most part our wii works just fine.

i'm pretty sure you can get amazon on wii now. i'm too lazy to turn on the wii, but i'm almost positive that's right. we have roku too & when we lost our remote we relied on the wii. i think we accessed amazon through it. anyway - just wanted to mention that :)

we love roku though. no issues here ever. i agree that it might just be a bad box.

We have a Roku, and nearly always have problems streaming Amazon movies on it. The only times we have had problems with streaming Netflix is when the Netflix site itself was having problems ( which has actually happened several times lately, mostly on weekends). We never use any of the other channels on it.

i'm pretty sure you can get amazon on wii now. i'm too lazy to turn on the wii, but i'm almost positive that's right. we have roku too & when we lost our remote we relied on the wii. i think we accessed amazon through it. anyway - just wanted to mention that :)

we love roku though. no issues here ever. i agree that it might just be a bad box.

You were right, I can now get amazon on my wii.