Menu

I need to choose 5 books for our book club library

Hannah

Adult library? Wide variety of people and viewpoints? More literary or more general consumption?

I'd say:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (pre-colonial Africa, fiction)

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by June Chang (non-fiction, biography, Chinese history)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (modern fiction, general magic and fun)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (science fiction, classic youth novel)

True Grit by Charles Portis (fiction, American west, humor) or maybe The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevski (fiction, classic Russian novel)

Those are mostly literary choices though. If your group reads mostly modern mysteries or Oprah books the answers would be a lot different.

Adult library? Wide variety of people and viewpoints? More literary or more general consumption?

Thanks for the suggestions!

The choice of books is really a free for all. I'd say we go mostly for general consumption rather that literary, but one of the aims is to stretch oneself and read what you would not normally choose.

Let's see.

Bill Bryson is fun.

I love Wilkie Collins for lovely little mysteries

Malcolm Gladwell for good non-fiction

P.G. Wodehouse is pure fun.

Jen Lancaster is very funny

Thank you! We've not had Jen Lancaster before.

Some that my books club read are:

Water for Elephants

The Kite Runner-an excellent book, but deals with some very serious and disturbing subjects

The Book Thief (I love this book)

We;ve enjoyed these.

Some ideas from previous book clubs:

1776 by McCullough

Leap of Faith (biography of Queen Noor of Jordan)

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott

Let it Go by Karen Ehman

Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clarkson (this is the current book the book club is doing, but I haven't participated so I can't comment)

This is so wide open and there are so many great choices it's hard to come up with something.

I really enjoy Lisa See's books. Right now I'm reading On Gold Mountain. I think it would make a great book club book. It's a novel based on her family history.

The Passage by Justin Cronin is another one that I think would be fun for a book club. I know there were times I would have loved to talk with someone else about the book while I was reading it.

Cutting for Stone by Verghese

Ape House by Gruen

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both by Khaled Hosseini

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

I can't make paragraphs with Windows 8 so my books will be all smushed together. Sorry. I don't know about must reads but some book that I have enjoyed in the last little bit is: The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Stedman, State of Wonder by Anne Patchett, Coventry by Helen Humphries, Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers, Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch (it's a memoir) and anything by P.G.Wodehouse.

I must be hungry!

These came quickly to mind:

Miriam's Kitchen (about a woman's relationship with her culture and her MIL. If you choose this one, stock up on whole chickens. There are recipes!) ETA author: Elizabeth Ehrlich

Garlic & Sapphires (really fun read by Ruth Reichl regarding her undercover reviews of NYC restaurants when she was the food critic for the NY Times.) Reichl has also written Tender to the Bone, which is about the food & people of her very interesting childhood.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle ( by Barbara Kingsolver. She describes how her family ate locally, and from their own garden and animals for a year. I love KIngsolver's prose. It's not a how to book.)

Farm City (Novella Carpenter turns a glass strewn lot in Oakland into a small urban farm. Great sense of humor, great cast of characters)

Anthony Bourdain has written several books. He's irreverent, and makes you want to get on a motorcycle & see the world.

The Sparrow is REALLY good. There's a sequel, _Children of God_, that is almost as good and also recommended. Sparrow will twist your thinking. Then Children of God will challenge the twists. These are on our shelves and regularly reread.

Let's see. If I was putting 5 books on a book club library shelves.

_Parable of the Sower_ by Octavia Butler

_Sparrow_ by Mary Doria Russell

_Off Armageddon Reef_ by David Weber

_Salt: A World History_ by Mark Kurlansky

_Christmas, Present_ by Jacqueline Mitchard