Menu

History is killing me!

Motsy802

Never in a million years would I have thought picking a history curriculum for a first grader would be so difficult. I haven't had trouble picking any other curriculum except history. I've considered TOG, but have decided it's too intense for a 1st grader. I've also considered SL, but I don't know if I want to spend $500 for the package especially since we won't even be using their LA. I actually already have SOTW year 1, but I'd love something that also has biblical history in it. I've heard of people using BP, VP, SL, TOG, SOTW, and also mixing things up with something like SOTW and VP cards. What is this? Any ideas on what might work for what we want?

Never in a million years would I have thought picking a history curriculum for a first grader would be so difficult. I haven't had trouble picking any other curriculum except history. I've considered TOG, but have decided it's too intense for a 1st grader. I've also considered SL, but I don't know if I want to spend $500 for the package especially since we won't even be using their LA. I actually already have SOTW year 1, but I'd love something that also has biblical history in it. I've heard of people using BP, VP, SL, TOG, SOTW, and also mixing things up with something like SOTW and VP cards. What is this? Any ideas on what might work for what we want?

Paula's Archives has schedules lining up VP and SOTW for you. Or, you could do VP only and remember to only use the lightest 10-20% of the projects/activities with him this year. Each VP history set is designed to teach grades 2-6, and they expect you to choose the readings and assignments that are appropriate for your DC (easiest for the younger kids, harder for the older kids). I've used it with tag-a-long first grade siblings, and beefed it up for junior high kids. It's totally reusable, so if you do it now in first grade, younger siblings or perhaps the same DC can use it again when the history cycle starts all over. Feel free to PM me if you have questions on VP history. I've used it for years.

If you want Biblical mixed in, I would do STOW and then read from a Children's Bible Story Book (a comprehensive one like Ergmeiers or Vos) when you come to that time in history. Here is a schedule from Paula's archives that lines them up for you:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotw1eger.htm

Throw in some of the book suggestions and activities from STOW activity book and you are good to go.

That is what my first grader did last year and it was a wonderful year for him.(And, really, that is really all TOG does at this level.)

Simple is good.

Less is more for first grade!!!!

I tried Biblioplan in 1st grade (after also looking at TOG and finally deciding that was too much for 1st). The Bible readings are VERY numerous in some weeks. It got to the point that neither of us was really learning anything because we had to move so fast! I finally dropped BP and went with SOTW + AG, and read Egermeier's every morning, one story a day. No, they didn't line up, but we DID make connections! Even my 6 year old started making connections! SOTW is so simple to use for that age. We did have some discussions about the Bible stories in SOTW, in those places where either she added dialog and such that we don't know happened, and also in those areas where it differed from the actual Bible story. In fact, we read the actual Bible story just to compare. We had good discussions. There aren't that many Bible stories in SOTW, so I didn't feel like it was such a problem that I needed to throw the whole book out.

Paula's Archives have tables that list SOTW chapters lined up with VP cards, Egermeier's Bible Story Book, and Vos's Bible Story Book, so any of those options can be done for FREE. I would recommend those over BP or TOG for that age.

I plan to use TOG when my oldest is in 5th, but I'll be using it for HIS level (which will probably be Dialectic books and possibly easing into Dialectic discussion, since he's advanced and LOVES history). My younger two will be doing SOTW, but in whatever order TOG schedules it so they can follow along with big brother. I'm really glad I didn't do TOG in first. I don't think *I* could have handled it my first school year anyway. I couldn't have handled Sonlight back then either. I can now (running two cores this year, no problem). So keep your first year simple and easy, and then make it more difficult later. ;)

You should check out SCM's history modules! http://simplycharlot...dules-overview/

I was looking for something like TOG, less expensive (and less teacher intensive), and a strong Biblical focus. This was the closest I found, and it's been a good fit for us. Some people find it a bit too easy, but I love that we can fit in some of our own book choices. I love how the Bible is broken up to fit in the with history lessons. We learn about Egypt while reading about Moses and Joseph. Greece is covered along with OT rulers. Ancient Rome is studied with the NT and Acts. The Epistles are broken up over the more modern modules, so we can take our time with them. I think it's a brilliant way to break up the Bible readings! The guides are $15 (even less for the e-books) and have wide margins for making lots of notes/changes/additions.

My oldest is in 3rd and we haven't even started any formal history yet. We'll probably begin for 4th grade. That's not to say she hasn't learned any history....during the election we studied a lot about presidents, voting, the White House, etc. Near Columbus Day we talked about Christopher Columbus. We've read some American Girl books that are very historical. We just sort of went with whatever happened to come up for these young years.

You sound just like me last year! ;)

A few of my ramblings that you might find helpful.

I chose straight SOTW for Ancients and regretted it

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/07/2011-2012-year-in-reviewhistory.html

I am using BP for Middle Ages and LOVE it!

I wrote about why I chose BP over TOG, SOTW, and SL here

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-biblioplan-over-sonlight-and_24.html

Even though I love BP, I am switching gears next year to cover more US history.

My plans change and we understand more of how our kids learn and how we prefer to teach... I have learned I don't have to have it all figured out and planned. Tough I know! ;)

When choosing history, try to work backwards. How do you want history to look in your home? And then try to find something that will help you accomplish that goal.

My kids like Mystery of History much more than SOTW. We started with both but since they like MoH a lot better I've decided to only use that one in school and then I bought the audio book for SOTW and we listen to that in the car. It's working out perfectly. MoH is heavy with biblical history and we love that.

If you like SL just order the IG & the History Packet of books. Core B I G is $65 and the 5 day Book package is $171 /4 day $137

We loved loved loved MOH volume 1 - it would be great for a 1st grader. Lots of biblical history and combines history with fun activities if and when you want them. There are lots of books listed for reading and you can get ideas for books from TOG and SL websites. You could purchase the Biblioplan guide to help you with readers too, if that would make you feel more comfortable. I would definetly not stress over it and make it FUN!

I too had a HORRIBLE time picking out a world history curricula. The sentences were too complex and the assumed vocabulary was ridiculously high and the new vocabulary was not explicitly taught.

You can just put off world history, and look for geography and American History resources for a couple years.

The best early world history I have found is the now OOP original early 1990s Doubleday hardback series of What Your _ Grader Needs to Know. I prepare some handmade copywork that I show to the student, then I read the passage and just talk to the student, then the student copies the copywork. Library books /DVDs, Draw Write Now, and Dover history coloring books make nice supplements.

For Bible I use Stick Figuring Through the Bible. Just the TM. For a long time all I had was the old PDF version, but I just bought a hardcopy of the new edition OT and love it. Mostly I just have the student listen to the Bible passage and draw. I just fold a piece of paper up into the required number of squares.