Menu

Ideas on what to send to school

Tsutsie

So we'll have a meeting with the teacher later today. I am so relieved that she is open to suggestions, and agrees with me that DS needs a little more to keep him learning and engaged. She says that she does what she can, but that he is way out there and that she has neither the materials nor the knowledge to present middle school science, math, etc. She will have a talk with the principal before she sees me, and see if they can come up with an idea. (Grade skip? To do, or not to do?)

Anyway, my question is this...

WHAT can I send with him to school that he can do fairly independently. His teacher will help where she can, but he lost her when he explained Pythagorus to her a few weeks ago, so I'm not hopeful that she will be of much help with math, anyway.

We already send math to school that he completes on his own, after I do the lesson with him the night before, if/when we get time.

Any suggestions for science and history?

All the science and history programs I have is way to teacher led for a 8 year old to complete by himself.

Anything that is not "paperwork" that I can send with?

We'll see what the teacher comes back with later, but I'm so glad that they are at least willing to work with us.

Thanks for replying to my other post "I miss homeschooling" - you gave me courage to at least ask.

Awesome!

AFAIK, The only thing that is not paperwork/worksheets to do independently in class without being a distraction, is a book...

I send books with my DD to read at school. Horrible Science, story of science, etc. From time to time, she does enjoy the class activities in Science. Some of them are very engaging.

His teacher was lost when he mentioned Pythagoras?!? And she teaches kids who are in the 75%?

Mind boggling.

I send science and history books for my dd to read. It's quiet and completely independent. I also send vocabulary stuff (red hot root words, english from the roots up cards and she keeps a stack of "fun" math and language arts books in her desk (such as the ones from mindware).

So we'll have a meeting with the teacher later today. I am so relieved that she is open to suggestions, and agrees with me that DS needs a little more to keep him learning and engaged. She says that she does what she can, but that he is way out there and that she has neither the materials nor the knowledge to present middle school science, math, etc. She will have a talk with the principal before she sees me, and see if they can come up with an idea. (Grade skip? To do, or not to do?)

Anyway, my question is this...

WHAT can I send with him to school that he can do fairly independently. His teacher will help where she can, but he lost her when he explained Pythagorus to her a few weeks ago, so I'm not hopeful that she will be of much help with math, anyway.

We already send math to school that he completes on his own, after I do the lesson with him the night before, if/when we get time.

Any suggestions for science and history?

All the science and history programs I have is way to teacher led for a 8 year old to complete by himself.

Anything that is not "paperwork" that I can send with?

We'll see what the teacher comes back with later, but I'm so glad that they are at least willing to work with us.

Thanks for replying to my other post "I miss homeschooling" - you gave me courage to at least ask.

Oh that is just too funny....we just recently finished reading about Pythagoras! My dd talks about him too.

Maybe you could look into getting the John Hudson Tiner books for him to read alone and do the exercises for extra Science? My dd and I will be doing The History of Medicine as well as Yesterday's Classics, The Wonder Book of Chemistry, in conjunction with Chemistry next year.

Yesterday's Classics also has many upper level Science and History books for kids: The Secret of Everyday Things (11-14); The Wonder Book of Chemistry (11-15); The Sciences (11-14) and several more. There are actually too many history books to list. You can access these free from Project Gutenberg, http://www.gutenberg.org/ or access them as audio books at: www.booksshouldbefree.com .

In fact, you should peruse this site for some fantastic history selections and then cross-reference them on Gutenberg (in case ds can't have an MP3 in class). This way he could read silently and maybe write a summary of what he's read for his science or history notebook. This wouldn't involve the teacher at all. Just a suggestion.

I second the ipad recommendation. We sent our DD in with hers in first grade, and oh what a difference it made! She was able to work at her level without needing extra attention. For math she mostly worked through the Khan Academy pyramid, watching videos if she got stuck, but she wasn't bored wile the rest of the class was working through what they needed to get done.

Ask if your child can go up a few grades for math and any other strong areas), but return to class for the extracurriculars.

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear that your son has a math teacher who does not know the Pythagorus theorem. You are better off with work you send from home!

For my son, he is allowed to attend classes one grade level up for math and LA and for the other subjects, he can help out his fellow classmates.

Does you son's classroom have a computer? If not, can you send in an ipad loaded with apps or pdf worksheets? Can you get an EPGY subscription (we got our own when the school district refused due to lack of budget)?

What about "Independent Study"? In my son's school, the older grades can take time off formal schooling for "Independent study".

Please keep us posted on the outcome of your meeting.

I think you would get some negative feedback from other kids and their parents if you son was wearing headphones and playing with an iPad while they were having to listen to the teacher and write.

We were worried about this, but the teacher was a gem about it. She explained to the class that our dd needed it to do her math, just like a few autistic children in her school use it to help with language. She showed them the ipad with the harder math, and they all agreed they would rather work on basic addition. Our dd did not have free access to it unless it was specifically math time or SSR (sustained silent reading).

Starting in 2nd grade though, each child at our school has an ipad in the class, so the children are used to technology as a learning tool in the classroom setting.

I think you would get some negative feedback from other kids and their parents if you son was wearing headphones and playing with an iPad while they were having to listen to the teacher and write.

I wouldn't worry about this. As AnIslandGirl said, the teacher can explain it simply and the kids will quickly get used to it. If he is essentially going to spend the day doing independent learning, I'd give him whatever will make it enjoyable and engaging for him.

My concern would be that although he may be engaged all day, he will not have much of an opportunity to interact with his teachers or with his intellectual peers. While this may work for some kids, there are many for whom it won't work (not to mention that I think those are some important parts of learning that every child deserves).

How far is he working above grade level? Would a grade skip be possible?