Menu

What "canned" foods do you use? yahoo article.....

thebacabunch

The cans in my pantry right now are

tuna

tomatoes

peaches

pineapple

soups

black olives

green chilies

a few beans (I usually use dried but keep a few cans for something quick)

nacho cheese (dd and dh love this stuff for nachos every now and then :ack2: )

I followed the link, expecting an article about the dangers of most canned foods -- lead, BPA, etc. Did not expect an article about how to rehabilitate canned goods.

Hard to avoid cans completely unless one has time/money to run to the grocery store every other day, or has land available for growing things. I do watch for country of origin, whether the food in question be canned, frozen, or fresh.

Why not a separate thread about what we have "in glass" (bottles/jars), or in aseptic packaging?

Canned....as in a 'can' (opposed to nutrapack or jars)

TJs Cuban Black beans

Tjs Roasted red peppers and tomatos

canned roasted chilis

tomato paste

Chicken soup for the kids quick after school snack

Amy's Chili

An occasional can of green beans, sweet peas, or corn (especially at the cabin where the electricity goes out)

Costco's albacore tuna or TJs packed in olive oil

Pinapple (maybe 2 cans a year or so typically when we make a ham)

I only read the first "suggestion" from the article - cook bean in bacon and top with cheese. Seriously. LOL

We use canned:

Tomatoes

Beans

Pumpkin puree

Corn

Manwhich ce - love it!

Hunt's meatloaf sauce - makes me want meatloaf thinking of it...

I know, right? Sounds pretty unhealthy! I am one of those weird people that enjoys canned green beans straight up.

Hard to avoid cans completely unless one has time/money to run to the grocery store every other day, or has land available for growing things. I do watch for country of origin, whether the food in question be canned, frozen, or fresh.

I don't shop daily. My produce lasts for several days in the frig, or in some cases weeks (apples, potatoes, ...), and I have some frozen items. I use canned for convenience, especially coconut milk and pumpkin puree, or tomato paste. I think if one lives in a remote area where fresh vegetables are never available, that is another matter. But I don't buy things like, say, canned pasta. I cook from dried, which is a convenience food.

Diced tomatoes

Tomato Sauce

Salsa (canned myself)

Marinara / pasta Sauce (made mysel)

Jams, fruit butters ( I put my own up year round)

Pickles (we make these too)

Corn

Green beans

Kidney Beans

Garbanzo beans

Tuna

Sardines

Olives

Sun dried tomatoes packed in oil

Cream of mushroom soup

Cream of chicken soup

Canned soups (in winter)

Pumpkin purée

Condensed fat free milk

Regularly:

Tomato Sauce

Tomato Paste

Holidays:

Pumpkin

Condensed milk

Evaporated milk

This week I bought some almonds that came in a can, I don't think I've done that but once or twice. I usually get them fresh.

In a jar:

salsa

pickles

jam

peanut butter ( plastic jar, that is)

ketchup (plastic squeeze bottle)

We use fresh vegetables for the most part, but also use frozen when things are out of season. We also keep a full produce drawer and have a pantry full of staples here.

We eat fresh fruit although lately I've been making smoothies with frozen fruit.

Cans I buy regularly:

tomatoes (diced, whole, paste, sauce)

tuna

peaches - for DS11

pears - for DS 11

pumpkin

Del Monte spaghetti sauce - we use this for pizza sauce

Cans I buy occasionally, as needed for specific recipes:

sweetened condensed milk

evaporated milk

green chilies

olives - usually for DH to put on nachos

I buy peaches and pears for DS because he has OAS and can't eat most fresh fruits. I hope to learn how to can them this fall.

I prefer the flavor and texture of canned over frozen, so we buy a lot of canned food. Green beans, peas, corn, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peaches, pears, mixed fruit, mandarin oranges, tuna, corned beef hash, spam, soups, pasta dishes (ravioli, macaroni beef, spagetti o's, etc), enchilada sauce, olives, chicken and beef broth, pumpkin, sauerkraut, and a few different kinds of beans. I'm sure there are more, but this is what I could think of off the top of my head that we kerp on hand or buy on a regular basis.