Menu

What does everyone think about the new Self-Paced Veritas Press Omnibus I samples?

Have I missed a thread about it? Dd 13 and I think it looks SO good. We've been watching a sample each night and dd rushes through her chores to watch it as a "reward" :)

We did think the mult choice questions in Exodus were too easy (one obvious choice) but that was our only "complaint".

What is everyone thinking about it?

My link thing isn't working-just go to the Veritas Press home page and it will take you to the samples.

I'm still torn for my rising 7th grader.... It looks awesome but we're definitely bent toward math/science. I'm waffling (or waffle-ing depending on my hunger) between Sonlight Core G and Omni 1. I also have a riding 6th graded - who is a very young 6th - but reads and comprehends extremely well. With SL I feel I an keep them together, I think Omni might be a little heavy...

Oh the decisions!! LOL

I love the look of it. It is definitely the best I have seen. I am impressed with how balanced the discussions were since I had some reservations about the theological viewpoints. It seems that the things that have bothered me are only in the teacher notes, so can be skipped.Unfortunately the course is well out of our budget. I was stretching to buy the Omnibus books without paying for the classes as well. I'm sure we will get a lot out of it even with just the books.

I think having the self-paced course at a lower price point will take a load off my mind. I have not studied the classic books, especially the ancient ones, so having someone to help explain them is worth the price. i am organizing a group of at least 10 to receive a $100 discount on the regular price of $295 (see the sample email for details). That does not include the text and required reading books. Compared to $500 for the online course, that is a steal! Plus, you get to see places in Greece and Italy where some of the events were taking place. I think it will be great!

Sheri

We used omnibus1 last year but we just went through the class samples. We thought they were terrific. We especially enjoyed the friendly debate about differing views on creation. I hope VP will be offering self-paced courses on the rest of the series. I'dlove to get in on a group buy on the later ones.

If there's anyone involved in a group buy for this that would not mind one more, can I hop on board? You can pm me. Tx!

Beck

Geesh, I can't figure out how to pm, but I have a group that you can join. We have 7 so far and several more are deciding. I think we will make it.

Sheri

Unless I decide to do the Self-Paced in advance by myself, Omnibus is still a few years out for us. However, one thing I liked right away is that the samples don't require Flash, so they're viewable on our iPad. I hope all of the Omnibus Self-Paced courses remain iPad accessible.

That being said, my little man has no issues with being *restricted* to our iMac in order to do the Self-Paced courses for their grammar history (NTGR). ;) At this point, I absolutely see us continuing our journey with VP when we get to Omnibus.

I'm still torn for my rising 7th grader.... It looks awesome but we're definitely bent toward math/science. I'm waffling (or waffle-ing depending on my hunger) between Sonlight Core G and Omni 1.

This is how I felt last year, but I'm so glad that I had my math/science guy do Omnibus! He is planning an engineering future and most of those majors leave little room for humanities. I figured that his only chance to go through the great books would be pre-college. Omnibus has challenged and broadened him more than I hoped for. My guy is doing the online classes, but I would think there would be similar benefits from the self-paced class.

I know this is a new product, so perhaps nobody will know the answer, but I would love more detail about the nuts and bolts of the program. Perhaps those who have done the online classes could elaborate. Some of my questions --

I watched the first sample labelled "Genesis Session 2". I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it took about 45 minutes (?) -- that panel discussion was 25 minutes, then I skipped the game show part. Would that be one day's work, plus the reading assignment at the end?

How many "sessions" total are there?

Is there any place to find an overview of the course? The Veritas website has a sample chapter of the Omnibus text but no table of contents?

Is there writing included?

For the self-paced Omnibus, does one still need to purchase the Omnibus text?

It seems a little strange to me that none of these details are included on the Veritas page. I need more than just a sample to evaluate.

There are 175 sessions total. They are not sure yet about writing, but there are assignments in the book and they require them with the Scholars course. You still need a book and the reading books. This is Primary books only. To do the full Omnibus, you would do Secondary books as well, but these are more manageable... Narnia books.

Thanks! That gave me a table of contents. I always want to see a table of contents. Irritates me to no end when I can't find one.

Yup, and then keep scrolling, because as I recall they had a *lot* of the book clickable from that toc, meaning you can see the essays, the discussion questions, writing assignments, etc.

Wait! Come back, OhElizabeth. :hurray: I want to know what you think of the Self-Paced samples.

I think nothing, lol. I watched a couple minutes of one and had to stop. We're busy in the middle of something else, and I can't really pull her away to deal with that right now. My initial impression was that it was a lot of sitting, looking at someone talk. They needed to put a curtain on the window beside him (in the sample I was watching), because I kept looking at cars. I think some of what they're doing is fine. Omnibus isn't a perfect fit for us anyway, because we're all over the board. If I get it, it will be because of the low price intro. I'm concerned that it could be a bust attention-wise. I won't know till I show her, but that's my initial impression.

That's really for my particular dc. She has never been in love with Omnibus anyway, which is why we haven't done it, even though I own several of the levels of it. The new self-paced class seems a really viable way to implement Omnibus, if implementing Omnibus is what you want to do.

Guest Carolinagirlinny

Geesh, I can't figure out how to pm, but I have a group that you can join. We have 7 so far and several more are deciding. I think we will make it.

Sheri

Cosmos, there are huge samples of the Omnibus texts available on google books.

Thank you SO much!! I've been looking at Omnibus (for future - dd is a rising 5th grader) but they didn't have much for examples on their site. I sat through some of their self-paced vids, but think we would prefer doing it on our own. Your suggestion has allowed me to read quite a section of Omnibus 1! I really like what I'm reading!! This will now be a definite for us in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rosiejanna

SheriGene, I would love for my daughter to join the group for the discount. We live in Japan and my older son is now up to Omnibus 4 - he's been doing it live, but often at crazy hours of the night or morning for us. Please send me payment details.

thanks, Rose

SheriGene, I would love for my daughter to join the group for the discount. We live in Japan and my older son is now up to Omnibus 4 - he's been doing it live, but often at crazy hours of the night or morning for us. Please send me payment details.

thanks, Rose

It won't help you, because this is only Omnibus 1 that they've gotten as self-paced.

Guest rosiejanna

It won't help you, because this is only Omnibus 1 that they've gotten as self-paced.

Hi SheriGane, sorry, you misunderstood me ... my son is doing Omnibus 4 - I am wanting my daughter who is younger to do omnibus 1 .... would you be willing to include her in your group?

Thanks,

Rose